1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When are men written into the Book of Life?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Darrell C, Oct 14, 2015.

?
  1. 1. At Birth or Conception

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. 2. At Salvation

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3. Other (please explain in a post)

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just wanted to get this one in for those of Other Denominations:

One of the topics for discussion that comes up from time to time is...when are believers written into the Book of Life?

I will just say that I take the view that we are written into the Book of Life at birth, and take this view primarily because we see unbelievers blotted from the Book of Life in Scripture:

Revelation 22:18-19

King James Version (KJV)

18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

This is not the only place we see unbelievers removed from the Book of life, but, if I posted every relevant verse, how many would take the time to read it before presenting their own view?

So how about it folks, when do you think men are written into the Book of Life?

God bless.

2. StFrancis

StFrancis Member

I think that our fate will be known when Jesus comes for the second time. That is when all the righteous will be known and written in the book of eternal life. It must be after one dies so that they can be raised again to join God in heaven. Did Noah get to heaven after floods? If not, what is he waiting for?

3. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I take the view that men did not go to Heaven prior to the Cross, so no, Noah did not go to Heaven after the Flood, but after he was liberated from Abraham's Bosom.

There will be a thousand year period separating the Return of Christ and the Great White Throne Judgment, which is the time when those who are dead will stand before God in judgment.

I think it is pretty safe to say that, at the very least, the Tribulation Martyrs of Revelation 20, who are resurrected and reign with Christ for one thousand years, will know their fate for at least a thousand years before the lost will.

And if you don't mind me asking, SF, are you a Baptist or a Catholic?

God bless.

5. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could you provide the context of your quote and explain the relevance to SFs statement?

Thanks in advance.

God bless.

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When are men written into the Book of Life?

A - Women and children first.

Rob

7. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Men" is general and refers to all of mankind.

And I would suggest that men came before women and children, just as the chicken came before the egg.

;)

So when are women and children written into the Book of Life, Deacon.

At birth/conception, at salvation, or, if another view can be presented, other?

God bless.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Certain people are enrolled there before the foundation of the world.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would agree, going so far as to say that all who are in the Book of Life were known to God before the foundation of the world.

But the question remains...when are men written into the Book of Life? At birth/conception, salvation, or other?

And have to get going, so will check back later.

God bless.

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All who dwell on the earth will worship him, everyone whose name has not been written from the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who has been slain [Revelation 13:8].

• Like Like x 1
  11. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I view this as from an eternal perspective in regards to God's omniscience and foreknowledge of those the Lamb's Sacrifice benefits.

We see men blotted out, so it is a safe assumption unbelievers are in there. That there are specific people who were, because of the depth of their sin, never in there is a bit speculative.

So we either consider a possibility that people can be in the Lamb's Book of Life (which Christ denies as a possibility in Revelation 3) and then blotted out, or, we consider that all men are written in the Book of Life and are blotted out through rejection of God's will (which is specific to the Age they lived in).

We know who, and Who, is in view in David's imprecation:

Psalm 69:20-28

King James Version (KJV)

20 Reproach hath broken my heart; and I am full of heaviness: and I looked for some to take pity, but there was none; and for comforters, but I found none.

21 They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.

22 Let their table become a snare before them: and that which should have been for their welfare, let it become a trap.

23 Let their eyes be darkened, that they see not; and make their loins continually to shake.

24 Pour out thine indignation upon them, and let thy wrathful anger take hold of them.

25 Let their habitation be desolate; and let none dwell in their tents.

26 For they persecute him whom thou hast smitten; and they talk to the grief of those whom thou hast wounded.

27 Add iniquity unto their iniquity: and let them not come into thy righteousness.

28 Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be written with the righteous.

David was a Prophet, and it seems he is under the understanding that the wicked could be, and should be...blotted from the Book of the Living. So unless we say there is another book in view here, again, we see reference to the wicked being blotted out.

I view the "Lamb's Book of Life" to be distinguished from general reference to the Book of Life itself, as I see it as the register of those who have been redeemed through His Offering of Himself.

God bless.

12. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes!!!

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you are "going so far to say that" huh? They are just "known" to God?! God doesn't just "know" about them --He specifically chooses them. God is not a mere observer.
    Certain people are enrolled in the Lamb's book of Life before the foundation of the world. These people are the elect of God.

14. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the contrary, nowhere in the post do I say "that huh."

;)

But seriously...yup.

Is that what I said, Rippon?

I would not disagree with that.

Did I say that either?

Great.

Now what do we do with the unbelievers that are blotted out of the Book of Life?

This is not a thread about Election, Rippon, can you try to focus on the OP, which has a little broader scope than Election?

God bless.

15. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oui are not amused.

;)

God bless.