1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When did it all go wrong?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Matt Black, Aug 18, 2010.

?
  1. Apostles dying

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. 4th century

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. Fall of the Western Roman Empire

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Great Schism

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Council of Trent

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. Vatican II

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Another date

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Henry or Jimmy Carter, now that would be a tough call. :smilewinkgrin:

2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Yeah, christianity "dove-tailed" nicely for the sol-invictus cult. For the pagans arianism was a simple philosophy and they didnt have rewrite many policy manuals.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes he was a schlemiel, but he is a religious man, he prays & he was a president. I was just answering the question & yes he's a schlemiel.

I can see the moderator looking that one up as we speak.....hint, hint it's Yiddish.

4. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    ..................Oy veh!

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yiddish a kop

Oy veh es mer!

6. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

People are still being coy about what they voted for and why...

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I told you I voted for Constantine (BTW thats my Grandfathers Christian name.....we go back 2000 years. You should see our family bible).

Recently however, it went sour with the Bush Dynastic in America. Have you read their family history...there is a dynasty of death with a blood trail.

8. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Why Connie though? (BTW, I'm descended from him; he's my 55th great-grandfather so :tongue3:)

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dont even joke like that! [offensive language edited out]
    I cant even get that image out of my mind....gotta walk away from the keyboard.

will comment later.

#29 Earth Wind and Fire, Aug 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2010
  10. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    From my discussion with others there are many here with the primative baptist perspective which you call the Mormon view. It went wrong with the death of the Apostles save that not really. It just so happens that Satan's church through the help of the ECF brought Heresy to christianity and split off from the independent baptist churches in the Mediteranian area to create the infant Catholic Church. This infant church wasn't really too bad at persecuting the church however, they did make a lot of converts. Where it really went bad was when Constantine took over the Catholic Church he forced further Mythras type worship onto that community and went on a rampage of finding all written works of primative baptist for the past 300+years and burned their works killed their members. Destroyed their hymnals so completely that there is not one historical trace of their existance. These primative baptist went undersground and worshiped in secret for the next 1500 years and every time they got caught they were killed off. They had different names like Albegensians etc... and so it was.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes well if you want to be dominant, just kill off all who oppose. Standard operating procedure in the day.

But Connie legitimatized Christianity & made it the State Religion ....thus the dominant way of doing things with a Roman Pope .... takes all the creativity out of the thing. Pax Romano not Pax Christi. Anyone suffering persecution will tell you thats when you separate the men from the boys....thats when it took its disastrous turn.

12. Matt Black

Site Supporter

TS, do you mean Landmarkists/ Successionists?

13. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sorry yes.

14. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ah but you're wrong EWF. Remember this fact about the Roman Empire. Religions were not recognized by the empire as ligitimate unless voted upon by the Senate. Once Legitimized a temple would be built and a bronze roll would indicated that the religion was valid a rubbed copy made of it and given to the high priest of that religion in Rome. The bronze copy would be placed in the senate archives. Christanity at first was considered a type of Judaism which was accepted since the time of Judas Maccabeeus. But when the seperation between Christianity and Judaism became clear the Senate did not vote to legitamize that religion. Christianity thus came under easy persecution. However, one of the Worse persecutions ever happened under Dioclesian (spelling?) which was so bad and so many Roman Citizens died that years later in 313 Both Constantine and Licinius agreed for a tolleration pact for Christian. The Edict of Milan was drawn up. Funny. At this time in the empire Rome had fallen into a second grade city compared to Milan. All the Edict did was to allow Christians to be free to worship. Christianity at this point was a legitimized religion of the Empire. Constantine did not make it the official religion (meaning only or primary) of the Empire in fact the Emperor Julian shortly after in 360 hated christians and attempted to hurt them badly. As the empire in the west declined the Empire in the east gained in prominance and it was in the east that Theodocius Prohibited pagan worship but even he had leanings towards Arianism. This happened about 390 77 years after the Edict. It didn't have much effect in the west however as the empire was suffereing from many civil wars.

15. Matt Black

Site Supporter

It was 381 (Theodosius making Christianity de facto the state religion).

But no-one who claims that the 4th century is when it all started to go horribly wrong has explained how this happened. I ask again: which novel heretical doctrines did Constantine (or for that matter Theodosius) impose on the Church? Which heretical bishops or other officials did he appoint?

16. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    9 years off. That's not bad from my head. Especially at my age.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ive read books on Aurelean so I could with trouble give some dissertation on that roman but Constantine's church henchmen, not so much save his mommy.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Helena, his mother turned Conny to Christianity. I recall the Egyptian Hermit, Anthony of the Desert living a isolated existence away from the influences of the Empire. In the day, Donatus was the Bishop of Carthage.

Constantine did preside of the Council of Nicomedia to settle issues with Arius.

your going to have to find a Church Historian....my catholic training has slipped over the years...darn it.

#38 Earth Wind and Fire, Aug 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2010
  19. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Council of Nicaea (I). My greatx55-grandfather never really understood the whole Arian thing; I remember him telling me as a young boy, "Matthew, I never really understood the whole Arian thing." So there you have it.

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those were the days!