1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When did it all go wrong?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Matt Black, Aug 18, 2010.

?
  1. Apostles dying

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. 4th century

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. Fall of the Western Roman Empire

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Great Schism

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Council of Trent

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. Vatican II

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Another date

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Two very good questions. I am anxiously waiting for some answers. :smilewinkgrin:

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matt, could have been a blanket overview answer & in individual dosen't know details

Good Presidential comment though.....

Here are a few more from a more modern President George....Matt the Queen makes an appearance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AioJbNL1JS8

3. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

If you know, please share but it is my assertion that as soon as the Church became the power of the State it lost all semblance of the Church Christ died for. He died for the Kingdom that will be built in our hearts not an earthly kingdom. When the Bishops were set up by the confessed sun worshiper, Constantine, they would then and there been rendered apostate.

4. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think that Constantine is a bit of a red herring. The Church no doubt changed in character as a result of the 4th century Establishment, becoming more wealthy and generally more 'worldly' but nothing much changed in doctrine and practice that hadn't already changed previously and wouldn't change subsequently. For me, the real watershed is the estrangement between East and West, culminating in the events of the Great Schism of 1054 (although the two halves of the Church had been drifting apart prior to that for some time). Shorn of the balancing Eastern Patriarchs, the Patriarch of Rome became much more of an ecclesiastical despot and there was a marked deterioration of both doctrine and practice, with an over-development of sacramentalism and Purgatory characterising the former and the likes of the Inquisition and sale of indulgences the latter.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I didn't expect the spanish inquisition! No one expects the spanish inquisition! Monty Python funny stuff. Especially since one of the inquisitors is called Biggles which if you're not English you might have a hard time placing the name.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matt Black can sort that out for us, if he cares to. Otherwise I will have to stick to Borscht Belt Humor....Oye Vey!

8. Matt Black

Site Supporter

The actual intro line is, "I didn't expect some kind of Spanish Inquisition."

9. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ok you got me there. Do you want to explain Biggles?

10. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Biggles was a character created by Captain W E Johns in various novels lauding the exploits of this fictional British airman and his friends Algy and Ginger; the novels were compulsory reading for Brit boys of a certain generation and class (including me), are marvellously non-PC (all Mediterranean types, especially Arabs, are untrustworthy; Africans are childlike and stupid) and great fun to read.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does that include Italians, Spaniards & Greeks?

12. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Speaking of treating Africans poorly what are those dolls called again that are totally not PC? I had a girlfriend while in the UK who was a big fan of those.

13. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Golliwogs. They were also in the original version of Noddy.

14. Matt Black

Site Supporter

IIRC Johns never wrote about the Spanish. We were at war with the Italians so they were generally Bad Eggs although lumped in with the Germans as essentially European and therefore People Like Us, albeit on the wrong side. The Greeks were more suspicious as being quasi-oriental but it was really the people from the southern shore that Johns disliked ie: the Muzzies. But his greatest wrath was reserved for those who were 'miscegenated', whom he disparagingly referred to as 'half-breeds'; I remember that there was a particularly odious reference to a half-Greek, half-Egyptian baddie based in Cairo whom Johns described (in so many words) as "an unhappy product of two Eastern races which brought out the worst in both of them".

15. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yep thats it. What ever happened to the empire they never took anything from any body no matter how it sounded. Now there almost as bad as the danes.

16. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I don't believe it is Christianity that has gone wrong, but that it is mankind that has always been wrong since the Fall. Christ started His church and never called it by a denominational name. That was man's idea, because man thinks he knows better than God.

Christ started the true Christian church (no denomination) and expected believers to adhere to the Christian beliefs that He instituted. Unfortunately man in his own "wisdom" said, "What the Bible says can't be true nor all of the truth. I know there is more." Then man proceeded to change God's word into what he wanted it to say--thus, dozens of translations, versions, and perversions of the holy scriptures. Of course, there had to be more and more denominations that reflected what man chose to believe--regardless of what God said.

I'm not aware that the Catholic religion was ever correct in their theology and teachings. They persecuted and even killed Christians, and to this day they believe that THEY are Christians. Many other false religions claim to be Christian while denying the deity of Christ, the virgin birth, the Trinity, and adding to and taking from the scriptures.

17. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

As a matter of fact, Jon-Marc, I am a Christian and I am Catholic. And for the record, Protestants persecuted and killed Protestant Christians as well as Catholic Christians.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes but do you say Minister instead of Pastor....or for that matter Fromage or Cheese? Plus, if you killed a Frenchman (Protestant or Catholic) you would score 3 whole points. Thus was the history of Europe.

Oh I say Carouthers! Mint Mate.

#118 Earth Wind and Fire, Sep 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2010
  19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Vat 2.....thats an interesting time to consider. Popa John truly did his best to accomplish reformation. If he could have he would have gone much farther before the Mafia snuffed him out. Think that was either Carlo Gambino or Joe Bonnano. Anyway the name had a vowel at the end of it. :wavey:

Lesson's learned......1 nobody likes folk Masses & (2)Nun's in mini skirts.....please

#119 Earth Wind and Fire, Sep 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2010
  20. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Have you ever met a nun? Trust me, with a couple of notable exceptions, you wouldn't want to see them in mini-skirts; less is definitely more!