1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When did John the Baptist Get saved?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salamander, May 8, 2006.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

QUESTION?
    (Which of the following statements is true?)

That really sounds like the spirit of Elias there, doesn't it??? (blackbird's post)

Luke, chapter 1 (Scripture)
    13: But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John.
    14: And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth.
    15: For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.
    16: And many of the children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God.
    17: And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.

2. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Mt 11:13 For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.

14 And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, (Elijah) which was for to come.

Mal 4:5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD:

"Day of the lord", when the Messiah comes to "Jerusalem".

Zec 14:4 And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east,

But the Messiah has already come to Jerusalem once before.

Lu 19:44 And shall lay thee even with the ground, and thy children within thee; and they shall not leave in thee one stone upon another; because thou knewest not the time of thy visitation.

Both Elijah/Messiah are coming back again.

Wonder how many teach this in their "Sunday School classes"???

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

:rolleyes:

Bad exogesis, Brother Bob!!

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

according to who it is a bad exegesis, He never said "behold, the Lamb of God, until he saw Him, did he?" blackbird?

Please answer the above question blackbird.

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

He wasn't baptized by an unsaved and worldly person---he was bapitzed by a person who realized that at a specific point in his life that he was dead in trespasses and sin and he believed by faith that coming Messiah would forgive him of those trespasses and sins and cleanse him from all unrighteousness. John the Baptist---at some point in his life had to realize his deadness before a living God and had to at some point in his life turn from dead works to receive the Living Lord. At some point in his life it was required of him--as Isaiah the prophet declared--to "look to the Lord and live"

John put his britches on the same way you and I do---he was a man like you and I are---a decendant of Adam just like you and I are. A product of his daddy, Zaccharias and his momma, Elizabeth.

But to answer your question---Jesus wasn't baptized by an unsaved and worldly person. He was baptized by a man who needed to be saved and at some point---the Bible doesn't say--but at some point in his life--before he baptized Jesus---he repented of his sins and received the Messiah that he would soon baptize!

6. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Pssss, I've got a "great deal" on some "ocean front property" here in Tennesse, I believe you are a fellow who knows a good deal when he sees it, I'll let you have it, "Cheap". :D :D [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Pssss, I've got a "great deal" on some "ocean front property" here in Tennesse, I believe you are a fellow who knows a good deal when he sees it, I'll let you have it, "Cheap". :D :D [​IMG] [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]What's your point, Me4Him??

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

So---what you're saying is---Jesus told Nicodemus "Ye must be born again"----but that truth did not apply to John the Baptist?? Is that what you're saying??

And that when Jesus told Nicodemus---"Unless a man be born of water and of the Spirit he cannot enter into the Kingdom of God"---that was for Nicodemus---but not John??

I'm sorry, dear brother! But you are in err concerning the Scripture!

As great as John the Baptist was---there is one greater---the Lord Jesus Christ---and if you have never repented of your sins and have never received Him as savior and Lord of your life---you will die and spend your eternity in Hell!

But to answer your question---Jesus wasn't baptized by an unsaved and worldly person. He was baptized by a man who needed to be saved and at some point---the Bible doesn't say--but at some point in his life--before he baptized Jesus---he repented of his sins and received the Messiah that he would soon baptize!

Sorry blackbird, You say the above but the Scriptures and Jesus said the below and I accept the Scriptures, which is below. You have no Scripture at all (none) to support what you have said and I have the Bible.
    Mt 11:13 For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.

14 And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, (Elijah) which was for to come.

Mal 4:5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD:

"Day of the lord", when the Messiah comes to "Jerusalem".

Zec 14:4 And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east,

Luke, chapter 1
    13": But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John.

"14": And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth.

"15": For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb

(Think he wore camel's hair not britches,4": And the same John had his raiment of camel's hair, and a leathern girdle about his loins; and his meat was locusts and wild honey )

9. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Pssss, I've got a "great deal" on some "ocean front property" here in Tennesse, I believe you are a fellow who knows a good deal when he sees it, I'll let you have it, "Cheap". :D :D [​IMG] [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]What's your point, Me4Him?? </font>[/QUOTE]I think it obvious there isn't any "ocean front" property in Tn, and John the Baptist being someone somone who lived hundreds of year prior, isn't a "common everyday" person.

10. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

He was "born again", first time in the OT, "born again" in the NT. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Probably the same reason God allowed Judas Iscariot to sit at the Lord's Supper being God is no respector of persons, BUT you certainly are.

Probably the same reason many a preacher has baptized many a convert to only later get saved himself.

God uses both the lost and the saved to accomplish His will.

If anything, John the Baptist admitted his lost condition when he told Jesus, "I must needs be baptized of Thee"
    So if you'd like to carry on the non-sensical arguement in favot of John being zsaved from his mother's womb, then I would seriously reconsider yhe very Scripture you are using to substanciate your belief.

I guess maybe you might believe bcause he baptized the Saviour that John earned his salvation by that good work????????? :rolleyes:

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Are you comparing John the Baptist with Judas. WoW!!! You think God didn't know a good preacher to send Him to. You have a very low opinion of God.

Can't believe you really said that. Never ceases to amaze me what I hear on here. "suffer it to be so John for it becometh us to fulfill all righteous."

No, if you had of been reading my posts you would of seen where I believe he was already saved. Joh 1:21 And they asked him, What then? Art thou Elias? And he saith, I am not. Art thou that prophet? And he answered, No. (John said no but Jesus said "yes he was" that is better known to the Lord.}

Mt 17:12 But I say unto you, That Elias is come already,

Mt 17:13 Then the disciples understood that he spake unto them of John the Baptist.

John felt unworthy for he knew it was the Lord, no one else did.

agree on this one in case of Judas to help carry out His death, but he was no John the Baptist. I can't believe you are saying Jesus came to be baptized by the unsaved a wordly person, but I hear about anything on here from some. Seems to me this would fit more into your belief of the "elect" (chosen before he was born).

[ May 11, 2006, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: Brother Bob ]

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

God didn't know enough to send Jesus to a real preacher.

(The following is the Holy Scripture and what God said about John the Baptist.)

KJMatt.17

"10": And his disciples asked him, saying, Why then say the scribes that Elias must first come?

"11": And Jesus answered and said unto them, Elias truly shall first come, and restore all things.

"12": But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also the Son of man suffer of them.

"13": Then the disciples understood that he spake unto them of John the Baptist.

John, chapter 1
    "32": And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.

"33": And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

"34": And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.

Luke, chapter 1
    13": But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John.

"14": And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth.

"15": For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord,
    and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.

"16": And many of the children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God.

"17": And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.

14. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Your ideal goes against Scripture and your conjecture isn't inspired by anyone but your opinion.

To follow the flow of Scripture and to not cause a schizm in the Word of God, one MUST not offer opinion but follow the Scripture.

Either John was a man, or as you try to make him, a man/angellic being and "never lost" and would not be in Heaven today because he never was saved.

God only saves sinners. Those saved will be in Heaven. Only those angels who have not rebelled with lucifer will also be in Heaven.

You keep repeating yourself offering as "proof" his works, so now you must be offering a "works" salvation. You cannot have it both ways, God does not change. Salvation has always been by grace through faith in the shed Blood of Jesus Christ, The Lamb of God who taketh away the sin of the world.

John the Baptist pronounced it, but he didn't merit salvation just because he did, nor did he merit salvation because he could.

15. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I just posted what Jesus and the Scriptures said. I didn't add anything except (God didn't know enough to send Jesus to a real preacher) in response to your post. All the rest is Scripture and if you disagree with the Scripture that is up to you but for me and my house we serve the Lord.

(Which one of the Scriptures do you disagree with?)

It even says "HE" sent him.

16. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

BOB

Mt 11:14 And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come.

Looks like the Jews wasn't the only ones having a problem with "John" being "somebody else", other than John. :eek: [​IMG] [​IMG]

Do you suppose they would believe that you are not you, that the "old Bob" died and has been replaced by a "New Creature"?? :eek: :eek:

And even "me" is not "me". ;) [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You mean like she/her my wife. [​IMG]

18. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

I suppose you could say that I believe in Covenant Theology. People in the Old Testament up until the ministry of Jesus lived under the first covenant. They were saved by following the Law and through belif in God and the coming Mesiah. After Christ's death and resurrection we are saved by believing on Him and following Him.

The tricky point is under which covenant were the people who lived in Christ's time (a very small number of people). My belief is that those who lived and died BEFORE Christ's death on the cross were under the First Covenant. Those who died AFTER Christ's atonement were under the Second Covenant.

John the Baptist was beheaded but the date of his death is somewhat disputed.

According to the Canonical Gospels, John the Baptist's public ministry was suddenly brought to a close, probably about six months after he had baptised Jesus. According to these Gospel narratives, Herod Antipas jailed him, with the Gospel of Luke arguing that Herod was punishing John for condemning Herod's marriage to Herodias, the former wife of Herod Philip, Herod's own brother (Luke 3:19).

The narrative states that although Herod himself respected John's authority and the clout of his following, to the extent that he would do John no further harm, Herodias' bloodthirsty wife had other ideas, and pursuaded her daughter to trick Herod. At a party for Herod, Herodias' daughter dances so beautifully that, according to the Canonical Gospels, Herod foolishly offers her anything she requests, so she asks for John's head on a silver platter, and so John is beheaded. Josephus, considered a more reliable witness than the Gospels by most secular historians, states that Herod deliberately killed John to quell a possible uprising in around 36 AD.

Josephus' date is considered inconvenient by some Christians since the narrative requires that he died before Jesus, and so before about 32 AD, and so these prefer to date the event somewhere around the end of 31 AD or early 32 AD. Herod Philip did not die until about 34 AD, and Herod Antipas did not marry his brother's wife until his brother had died, hence making Josephus' dating more plausible for even the biblical version of John's death.

His disciples, after consigning his headless body to the grave, told Jesus all that had occurred.(Matt. 14:3-12) John's death apparently came just before the third Passover of Jesus' ministry.

Going with the NT date means that John the Baptist was saved by His faith in Christ which was certainly demonstrated when he baptised Jesus.

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

When did he get that faith? He must of already had it when He came preaching in the wilderness. He must of already had it according to your post before he baptized Jesus. He was chosen to baptize Jesus before he was born so when did he get the faith in Christ? He was taught what to look for apparently from his youth so when did he get the faith in Christ? If he demostrated his faith in Christ by baptizing Him and knew what to look for of the coming of Christ, "behold the Lamb of God who taketh away the sin of the world". He father was told by an angel what John was to do concerning John's life before John was born so I am sure his father raised him knowing what he was so when did he get the faith?

20. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

There's only one way to "get the faith"

Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God.

and

How shall they hear without a preacher?

Somewhere---some preacher of righteousness opened the word from the Word(Scripture) directed toward John and that faith came through the preached word of God.

Since Zacharias was one of the ordained Priests of that era---the odds would be great that John's faith came through the preaching of his dad.