1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When Did the Baptists Originate?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Feb 24, 2002.

?
  1. John the Baptist - always have been "baptistic" groups

100.0%
  2. Post Reformation - as another Protestant denomination

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are two views of the origins of what we think of today as "Baptists".

2. DocCas

DocCas New Member

Baptist origins is not a matter of majority vote, but a matter of historical fact coupled with bible promises. "The faith which was once delivered to the saints" is still with us, and has been since Christ promised "I will build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."

3. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Point taken, Dr. Cassidy, but I interpret the poll to be more of a nature of the origins of those of us who call themselves "Baptist." We know little of John Smyth's and Thomas Helwys' actions when they left England. Did Helwys found our denomination there or are we so closely aligned with the Anabaptist movement that Helwys' church merely adapted those previously established priciples.

I'm pretty sure no one can point to a church before the return of Helwys to England that calls itself "Baptist" but I think it IS subjective to opinion and conjecture as to whether "Baptistic" churches existed.

I think that this is the nature of Dr. Griffin's poll. I apologize if I am in error.

May God bless you

- Clint

[ February 24, 2002, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Clint Kritzer ]

4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that to say there are two views of Baptist origins is a little oversimplified, but at least the way the poll is set up, most views will fit fairly well into the two views represented in Dr. Bob's poll. New members and visitors might wish to see a little more discussion of Views of Baptist Origins.

[ April 22, 2002, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: rlvaughn ]

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for cutting me some slack. Polls are at best just a current indicator of what people choose between the options given.

Not scientific. Meant to engender new threads and new discussion.

And fun to make!! Try it. [​IMG]

6. janji

janji New Member

Totally loved the poll. Would love to see more! Jan

7. n2ChristJ

n2ChristJ New Member

My brother has told me that Baptist aren't considered to be protestant. Because we didn't branch off of the RC. Could someone help me understand this. If we're not protestant then what are we?

8. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi there n2ChristJ!

I believe what your brother is referring to is the notion that the "Protestants" were those who protested against the Roman Catholic Church and thus seperated themselves from them. These would be groups such as the Lutherans and the Episcopalians (the Church of England).

Baptist are "Seperatist" (at least by some opinions, hence Dr. Griffin's poll) in that they seperated themselves from the established Protestant churches. We did not "protest" the RCC but rather "seperated" from churches that did. Some other classic examples of this would be the Quakers, the Presbyterians, and the Methodist, to name a few.

Of course, many on this board take to the view that we are descendant of the Anabaptist line. If this is so, we are actually Landmarkers. Even this view has variances among our members! Some believe Landmarkism refers to Apostolic succession, that is to say descends from the churches established at the time of the New Testament writings. Others view Landmarkism as a creed that sets forth principles of the Baptist faith.

Hope this clears it up. Browse this forum for a while and you will find all of these views expressed in various threads.

May God bless you

- Clint

[ March 09, 2002, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: Clint Kritzer ]