1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured When Did the Church Begin?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Tom Butler, Nov 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Yes, correct. Jesus said that in Matthew 16. Everything that came after that was in the future.

We have evidence of his building his church in Acts, where 120 people were assembled on the day of Pentecost. It was to this assembly that the Holy Spirit came in power.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Let me also point out that even though the Holy Spirit came on the assembly at Pentecost, they were not without power prior to Pentecost.

And Jesus had built his church from 12 to at least 70 during his ministry. In Luke 10, the Seventy he sent out came back to report that "even the demons are subject to us in Jesus' name." Jesus had empowered his followers.

Seems to me that there was that period between the time Jesus ascended and the Holy Spirit came on Pentecost that the Jerusalem church simply waited as instructed, and was not acting in power.

But it did the one thing it does best--it assembled. It had a business meeting and elected a replacement for Judas.

All prior to Pentecost.

We must be careful not to confuse Jesus' "founding" of His church, His "building" His church, and the "empowering" of His church.

#22 Tom Butler, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2013
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would agree. However, without the empowering there is no church. Otherwise it is a dead church. What I have shown consistently is that believers are indwelt since Pentecost. Whereas they were not before. And that is a significant difference.

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

It is a distinction, but is it a necessary distinction? The band of followers possessed the same marks of a New Testament Church before Pentecost that it did afterward. It assembled, it had the ordinances, it had a mission, it had power, it had doctrine, it evangelized.

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The church began the day that 3000 souls were saved and baptized by the preaching of the gospel through the power of the Holy Spirit by the men who are the foundation of the church, with Christ as the chief cornerstone.

AKA, Pentecost. Acts 2

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ordinances issue is questionable. Did they ever have the Lord's Supper outside of the one time with Jesus before Pentecost? And baptist before the Lords ascencison was a different baptism. Did they ever practice baptism between Christ ascension and Pentecost?

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Obviously, it was only once, but I suggest that once is enough.

How was the pre-Pentecost baptism different? What's different about the baptism administered by the apostles during Jesus' ministry, and that referred to by Paul as being "baptized into the body" in I Corinthian 12:13.

I'm coming from the view that the 12:13 baptism is water baptism, not Spirit baptism. That's another discussion, obviously, but that's how I read it. Water baptism is the door to membership in the local church--the body.

And one other thought. The Spirit baptism of Acts 2 preceded the water baptism of the 3,000. It was the three thousand who were added to the church by water baptism. It's the pattern we follow 2,000 years later.

#27 Tom Butler, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2013
  8. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. Acts 4:10,11

And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence. Col 1:18

This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses. Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear. Acts 2:32,33

and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost,

Is that when Jesus became the head of the corner?

he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

Is that when be begin to build his assembly of called out ones?

9. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I believe Scripture says that 3000 should were added which seems to indicate that the Church already existed.

Acts 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

The Baptist Faith and Message [Section VI] adopted by the Southern Baptist Convention in Atlanta, Georgia on June 14, 2000 states:

“The New Testament also speaks of the church as the Body of Christ which includes all the redeemed of all ages, believers from every tribe, and tongue, and people, and nation.”

I believe that to be true so would not the Church have existed since the redemption of the first of God's elect? Of course the price of redemption in time was not paid until the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Good to see you OR. Now, in the case of the church in your neck of the woods, it was founded by Joel Osteen in South Carolina. See Joel 1:1

The word of the LORD that came to Joel Osteen son of Pethuel, under a Palmetto tree.

11. OldRegular

A basketball arena would not hold the crowd so he bought a football stadium! Awesome!

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would also argue that it was not until Pentecost that the Gentiles were grafted in. This is a clear and necessary distinction with regards to the current church age. (Ephesians 3:6) As Charles Ryrie puts it:

"Ephesians 3 cannot be dealt with accurately without considering some features in the extended discussion of the body in 1 Corinthians 12. Two important features of the body of Christ are detailed in verse 13. First, Jews and Gentiles are not distinguished in the body of Christ. This is the emphasis of the mystery of Ephesians 3. Second, entrance into that body is effected by the baptism of the Spirit.

That baptizing work did not occur in the Old Testament nor during the earthly ministry of Christ. Even after the resurrection Lord said that it was still future (Acts 1:5). It did take place for the first time in the history of the world on the day of Pentecost (Acts 11:15–16). Therefore the inescapable conclusion is that the body of Christ did not come into existence until the day of Pentecost when the first members of that body were joined to the risen Head."

Ryrie, Charles C. "The Mystery in Ephesians 3: BSAC 123:489 ." Bibliotheca Sacra, (Jan 1966): 8.

13. OldRegular

And in what body were Job, Tamar, Rahab, and Ruth and all the redeemed prior to the flood or prior to the call of Abraham? And by whom were these Saints redeemed?

14. thisnumbersdisconnected

The answer is obvious, but you beg another question:

Where was the body of Christ at that time, and how would they know they were a "church"?

15. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I'm probably missing something here, but isn't it true that all of the 3,000 saved at Pentecost were Jews? And that the first Gentile convert was Cornelius in Acts 10?

This would seem to weaken the case that the Gentiles were grafted in at Pentecost, thus marking the forming of the church.

Further, I don't quite understand why it's necessary for an assembly to have Gentiles in it before it qualifies as a church.

16. OldRegular

Good question but Scripture says the Gospel was preached to Abraham!

17. thisnumbersdisconnected

True, but could he or any other OT saint justified by faith be considered in the body of Christ? They continued, despite their beliefs, to honor the Law, to offer Temple sacrifices, participate in the feast days, etc.

Were they the first Messianic Jews, or were they Jews awaiting the revelation of God's plan, which they trusted even though they didn't know what it was?

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

This is perhaps one of the best threads I have ever seen. Both sides state their positions based on Scripture, and the back and forth is very civil. It seems to come down to the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and its timing. Of course, God is not bound by time. I always believed the church started at Pentecost, but in the last say, two to three years, have had an open mind to saying Christ established the church during His earthly ministry, or a new element, OR presents the idea that the church was established in eternity past.

Anyway just to let everyone know, this has been one of the most thought provoking and Christ like threads I have seen.

19. OldRegular

I believe that God has only one people and those people were saved by the sacrificial death of Jesus Christ and constitute the Church of Jesus Christ. I believe that to be true regardless of what time in history they were saved!

Abraham {and Isaac} and all the saved who preceded them were certainly not Jews or Israelites. i suppose they would be considered Gentiles. The Apostle Paul says of those without the Law:

Romans 2:12-16
    12. For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;
    13. (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
    14. For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
    15. Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)
    16. In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

And I don't pretend to understand all that Paul is saying in this passage, except perhaps the last verse.

Apparently the first time the name Jew appeared in Scripture was in the writing of Jeremiah {34:9} and I believe referred to the those of the tribe of Judah chosen to bring jesus Christ into the world.

You rightly say they were all justified by faith but those so justified after the giving of the law {the Mosaic Covenant} were still obliged to observe the law until the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. I believe that Jesus Christ by his death did away with the ceremonial law.

Luke 16:16 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.

#39 OldRegular, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2013
  20. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They were called by God for purpose and I am going to say they fell under the concept of: They died in the faith which was to come.

But before the faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. Gal 3:23, 24

And now that the faith has come: Gal 3:25 But after that the faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

Now they are asleep in Jesus, or if you will, are dead in Christ and at the coming of the Lord will first be resurrected then joined with those alive in Christ at his coming will rise together to meet the Lord in the air and then proceed together into the kingdom of God.

Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption 1 Cor 15:50

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.