1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When Did the Church Start?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mnw, Nov 18, 2006.

?
  1. In the Old Testament

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. In the Earthly Ministry of Christ

20 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. At Pentecost

41 vote(s)
    58.6%
  4. During Paul's Ministry

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. mnw

mnw New Member

To those who seemed to say the Church started when Christ gave the Holy Spirit in John 20:22 I would what Christ meant in Acts 1:8?

I would like to raise some issues with the following list:

That's right, after the resurrection and ascension of Christ.
    I know he carried the money, but to make him an officer in the NT Church seems a big jump to me.
    Christ also spoke of the organisation of the Millennial Reign in His earthly ministry, does that also apply now?
    True, but I think this was still in the preparation stages of the NT Church.
    Do you cast lots at your business meetings? :)

There seem to be irreconciliable differences between Israel and the church. Did Israel observe the NT Church ordinances? Baptism and the Lord's Table?

Did they have the Holy Spirit in the same sense as the New Testament Church?

Do they have the same purpose, commands, regulations and privileges?

I cannot see any way that the Old Testament Israel can be equated with the New Testament Church.

Would you agree that the Body of Christ is the Church?

If so, how do we get "into" the Body?

I suggest the answer is found in I Corinthians 12:13.

Then we read in Acts 11:15 that the Holy Spirit fell on the Gentiles just like He did the Jews "at the beginning." Peter ties this in with Christ's promise to baptise us with the Holy Spirit.

Now, there are some clear links.

I Cor. 12:13 - We are baptised into the Body of Christ by the Holy Spirit
    Acts 11:15 - This first happened at Pentecost, the beginning, as promised by Christ

I believe the church is a New Testament entity, started by Christ when He sent the Holy Spirit at Pentecost.

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

No one seems to be able to explain away this passage? It is very plain David was talking about Jesus Christ.

Acts 2:
    21: And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
    22: Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:
    23: Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:
    24: Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.
    25: For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:
    26: Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:

3. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Agreed Bro Bob, but what does that have to do with the Church?

Bro Tony

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Wasn't Joel saying Dvid prophesied about the coming Mesiah? I don't recall the Psalm but David wrote this in one of his Psalms. Are you saying foreseeing the Church is the same as belonging to the Church?

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

With little question, "the church is a New Testamant entity", at least as references "the Body of Christ", and I agree, had to start after our Lord was crucifed on 'Thursday' (couldn't resist the opportunity to name the correct 'day', here :laugh:) on Mt. Moriah as our substitute/Passover, and was resurrected, on the third day. And I believe Scripture teaches that we are baptized "in" (Gr. "εν", cp. Mt. 3:11; Mk. 1:8; Lk. 3:16) the Holy Spirit (by the Lord Jesus Christ, himself), into the Body of Christ, when we believe in/on the Lord Jesus Christ, during "the dispensation of the grace of God". :thumbsup:

Uh, Tom! Uh- where does the NT ever list 'Treasurer' as a 'church office'? I distinctly recall three or possibly four. Those are 'bishop'/'elder', 'deacon', 'saint', and possibly 'deaconess'. But even the worst speller on the BB cannot possibly mistake any one of these for 'Treasurer'?!?! Actually maybe someone can, since I will grant, some do seemingly manage to pronounce 'bishop' and/or 'elder' as "Senior Pastor". :rolleyes:

Ed

#65 EdSutton, Nov 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2006
  6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Pastor means Shepherd or one who tends the flock. Run this back to the Hebrew.

Jeremiah 17:16 As for me, I have not hastened from being a pastor to follow thee: neither have I desired the woeful day; thou knowest: that which came out of my lips was right before thee.

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Don't that scripture seem to you that David must of been a part of the body of Christ, and if so there were others? Also, "He came unto His own", were they that received Him a part of His body also? I know there is a difference between Israel and the Church for they are two, but don't they become one when Christ said "upon this Rock I will build my Church". You know when He said I will build my Church, didn't He start off with the remnant of Israel? Were not all the first Christian Churches made up of a remnant of Israel?

#67 Brother Bob, Nov 20, 2006
  8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

With all this confusion, I thought Church started at 11 AM.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

There are a lot of different minds on it aren't they?

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

No, David is "not part of the Church", but David is very definitely part of the redeemed, as much as any of us, today. And David didn't even come close to what any one of us have simply because we are "in Christ". David has or had two 'crowning' achievements, as it were, no pun intended; his seed which is the Lord Jesus Christ, and his throne, which he merely 'kept warm', for a time, until "the Seed should come", and the 'rightful heir', the Lord Jesus Christ, should assume the throne. But you and I are "heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ", something David never was or could be, but he looked for that time. And actually without us, he, like Abraham, Moses, and Samson, to name three, could not even be complete. (Heb. 11:39-40).
    Yes, the Lord Jesus Christ is "to sit" on the throne of David. That has not yet occurred, but does occur during the 1000 year reign. The two passages in the NT, of which I'm aware, that speak of this both are in the future tense, - Lk. 1:32, and Acts 2:30, where Peter is recalling what was promosed to David, back when. Today, He is seated at the right hand of the Father. It is from there He comes with His saints in Rev. 19. After this, He sits on the Throne of David.

Ed

#71 EdSutton, Nov 20, 2006
  12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

:laugh: :laugh:
    And again at 7 PM, maybe? :thumbsup: :laugh:

Ed

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You keep running into them though don't you?

Matthew, chapter 17

"4": Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias.

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Sorry, wrong language. :type: I'm referring to the "spiritual gift" of "pastor and teacher" as compared to the "office" of "bishop/elder". I have never yet run into anyone who considers "helps" or "tongues" as an "office" in/of the (local) church, and very few that would consider "evangelist", as one, to name a few of the gifts.

Why suddenly make a different distinction the Bible doesn't make, with "pastor and/ teacher"? :confused:

Ed

15. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

You are correct, as usual. Treasurer is not an office like pastor or deacon. But the brand-new church did have a treasurer.

16. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

MNW says:

I would like to raise some issues with the following list:

Quote:Tom Butler
    It had a Head--The Lord Jesus

MNW:That's right, after the resurrection and ascension of Christ.

Tom: Why not during his ministry? Except it doesn't fit dispensatonal thought.

Quote:
    It had an officer--Judas the treasurer

MNW: I know he carried the money, but to make him an officer in the NT Church seems a big jump to me.

Tom: I was thinking of an officer in the sense of today's SS Superintendent, Church Training Director, etc. Not as a deacon or pastor. But still a treasurer with specific responsibilities.

Quote:
    It had the ordinances--baptism from the beginning and eventually the Lord's Supper.

MNW: Christ also spoke of the organisation of the Millennial Reign in His earthly ministry, does that also apply now?

Tom: Jesus actually applied the ordinances by having his assembled disciples do them. Before Pentecost.

Quote:
    It had a commission to preach, make disciples, baptize, and teach.

MNW: True, but I think this was still in the preparation stages of the NT Church.

Tom: Agreed to a point, except I'm thinking of preparation stages prior to Pentecost, and you're thinking of the Pentecost Day Founding.

Quote:
    It had a congregational business meeting to choose Matthias as Judas' replacement.

MNW: Do you cast lots at your business meetings? :)

Tom: The point is not how they voted, but that they did it as a congregation.

MNW: There seem to be irreconciliable differences between Israel and the church. Did Israel observe the NT Church ordinances? Baptism and the Lord's Table?

Tom: I'm going to avoid much discussion of dispy stuff, although I know that's your starting point. I'm trying my best not to make the scriptures fit my theology, ecclesiology and eschastology. Just the opposite.

#76 Tom Butler, Nov 20, 2006
  17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

JOHN 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

JOHN 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

REVELATION 19:11 Now I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war.

12 His eyes were like a flame of fire, and on His head were many crowns. He had a name written that no one knew except Himself.

13 He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God.

GENESIS 22:8 And Abraham said, The Word of the Lord will prepare for me a lamb; and if not, then thou art the offering, my son! And they went both of them together with a contrite heart.

18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You lost me here, what does this mean?

Why do you feel he doesn't assume the throne of David until he rerutns?

19. Allan

Allan Active Member

Bob: There are 2 covenants, One pertains to Israel and the other those who are not Israel. Both are Gods people but are not the same people WITH the SAME promises. God has not completed or fulfilled yet His convenant with Israel (Old Cov.) and so is not done away with but yet to be accomplished (regarding the promises therewith) IN the 70th week of Daniel or known as the Tribulation (of the Jews). The New is not yet completed (New Cov.) either though it will be at the rapture. This is my view and a view held by many, though I'm assuming not one held by you. Correct?

Now back to the "when did the church begin?
    Scripturally the Church could not have been in the OT since Jesus stated it was yet future. There is no getting around His statement about building His church.
    But I find it a hard peice to swallow that it started 'before' Pentacost for a couple of reasons.

1. The Church is made up of Believers. Those who believe in Christ AND what He did (dead, buried, and rose again) We know He is God.

1(a) The disciples did not believe until AFTER the resurrection and Jesus HELPING THEM to understand.

2. The Spirit leads us into all truth, and reveals who and what Jesus is and has done. This is proof of the indwelling Spirit that has placed us into the Body of Christ known as the Church.

2(a) The disciples had to be shown by Jesus and through Him helping and revealing to them it was only THEN that they understood. No Spirit indwelling and revealing which is the mark of a believer. For it is His Spirit that bears witness with our spirit that we are of God.

These men were still looking for the same type of Messiah the other Jews were looking for and did not understand what the Messiah must do which is why they DID NOT BELIEVE Jesus ROSE from the dead. Compare Johns account when Peter and John ran to the tomb and did not find the Body of the Lord there and then compare it to Luk 24:45, 46
    NOTE: in verse 8 where it states they believed is not a reference to them believing in Jesus but they believed the account of His body not being there.

We also find the Spirit of God is not given to them as in the manner of salvation for just a few verses further in Luke Jesus states that He sends the promise of the Father upon them, But to tarry in the city of Jerusalem until you are endued with power from on High. When Jesus breathed on the disciples and said "recieve ye the Holy Ghost..." we KNOW not all of the disciples were there but only 4 of them. Thomas was not there and Jesus went out to find Peter and with him was Thomas (Didymus), Nathanael of Cana, both sons of Zebedee and two other disciples as stated in John 21:1-2. So if the Holy Spirit WAS given it was given only to 4 disciples so did Jesus actually bestow at that moment the Spirit of God or was it an example of how the Spirit would be identified (the wind) to them WHEN He should come. There is no record of the Spirit of God coming on them the moment Jesus said this but that Jesus next statement was about their authroity to declare who are believers and who are not.

*IMHO*

20. Allan

Allan Active Member

One last thing on their supposed belief - For it is in this that one is called a child of God, that is - what we and IF we believe determines if we are saved.

This speaks to their (disciples) belief of Christ being the Messiah come from God:
    Jesus knew they did not understand who He truly was yet nor what He was to do, therefore they did not believe or better could not yet believe until all was accomplished that they MAY believe and be saved according to the New Covenant give to them and us.