1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When do signifcant numbers cross the line to numerology?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by KeithS, Feb 16, 2005.

1. KeithS

KeithS New Member

I admit I did not read the entire article that thoroughly. Kind of browsed it. From what I remember the author certainly pointed to early gnosticism as an excuse for John's use of numbers in a "hidden" way. Not just in Revelation, but also in his Gospel (if I recall correctly).

My concern was that after the author's initial background assessment, he began to point to the papacy as the answer to this "riddle" after rejecting Nero as a viable alternative. My only point really was to show that there are a number of authors with different views on who the beast may be.

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I have no opinion on the feet of the statue in Daniel. [​IMG]

Yes, it's obvious that 3, 7, 12, and 40 must have some significance as they are repeated. But I do not think it is clear what that significance is, and whatever significance they may have, it has nothing to do with numerology, which I used to practice.

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

When do signifcant numbers cross the line to numerology?

Keith,

The problem with Biblical numerology is 4 fold.

1. God tells us that divination (going to other "gods" for answers) is wrong.

2. God tends to speak clearly, when He is speaking through His Word.

3. But there are "numeric" occurances that some prefer not to ignore.

4. Only God can clarify if there is any additional meaning in "code" or other numerical significance.

4. KeithS

KeithS New Member

El_Guero, agreed. I am not defending numerology - Biblical or otherwise. The original question was at what point significance crosses the line to superstition. Not a large outpouring of response to the question, but the small sampling seems to indicate three possible responses.

1. Some believe all numbers in Scripture are coincidental. No significance other than the obvious fact of their insertion in the text.

2. Some believe there is significance to a number, but only if the Bible defines the significance. Perhaps the 666 in Revelation is an example.

3. Some believe there is a significance with some numbers although we may not have it defined by Scripture and therefore may never understand it. An example could be the numbers 40 or 3 or 12 (i.e. 12 tribes, 12 apostles, 24 elders in Revelation).

By the way, that last example is a big coincidence IMO if you hold to number 1 or number 2 above.

Again, I am not defending numerology in any form. Simply asking where the line is crossed.

5. benz

benz New Member

? i thought 666 is the number of the beast?
    yea it does seem odd that people would put this on them...