1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When Does Life Begin?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Crabtownboy, May 17, 2008.

?

When does life begin

Poll closed Jul 16, 2008.
  1. At conception

44 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. When blood is formed in the developing fetus

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  3. At birth

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Other -- explain

7 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a hotly debated topic.

In your opinion life begins at ....

Why do you believe as you do?

What do you base your belief on?

#1 Crabtownboy, May 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2008
  2. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I dont eblieve I know what "live" is.

Can you clarify?

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I've had enough A & P classes in the University setting to remove all doubt---life begins at conception!!!:thumbs:

4. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

LIfe begins at conception. Sound Biblical study and scientific research agree. In the Bible the story of an important individual always begins with "she conceived and brought forth a son." If life began at birth, birth would have been the beginning of the story. In fact you can make the case that it actually begins when husband meets wife.

Genesis 4
    1And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.

:godisgood:

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is equal to asking what is 1+1

6. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    This topic was already the subject of discussion in the Politics forum, under the title "A Nation of Baby Killers?" (Follow the link below)

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=49817

In order not to hijack the thread I suggested to Crabtownboy to open another thread on the subject, and hence this topic has been created for discussion.

Now we know that there are various views on the subject "When Does Life Begin," and before I would refer to Bible verses I'd like to quote a text from the Association of Prolife Physicians website - so as to wet your appetites for the upcoming discussions. :type:

http://www.prolifephysicians.org/lifebegins.htm

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The question seems so simple but in reality it is quite complicated.

If life begins at fertilization an extremely large number of living beings never have the chance to breath the breath of life.

Some say life begins at conception.
    One way conception is defined is when the fertilized embryo become successfully attached to the womb.
    This definition would be acceptable to those who use oral contraceptives
    One way oral contriceptive work is by inhibiting the implantation of the fertilized embryo in the uterus.

Others say life begins upon the baby's first breath.
    Abortion advocates might choose this definition.

In ancient times, in various cultures, children were not considered part of the family until they were named, a few days after birth.
    This was probably due to the high mortality rates and the desire for male children.
    Unwanted female infants might be exposed and allowed to die.
    The Bible clearly prohibits such a practice.

Rob

8. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    before conseption.

9. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Life begins before conception? Please explain.

10. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

What is God's plan?

I believe that God knew of my existence, and had prepared my soul for this body long before the earth was even created.

So, every embryo likewise has the promise of a God-given soul from the moment of conception. Every child concieved in the womb has a soul created by God to inhabit that body.

Who are we to change God's plan by killing the body before the soul takes a breath?

Isnt killing God's promise of life , and God's plan for that life, the same thing, if not worse than outright murder?

AJ

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

I'm as pro-life as they come, and I agree with you here...however, we cannot know about "potential life" that has yet to become.

We're in agreement.

If you're referring to abortion, right you are. I wouldn't put birth control in this camp, because we are not taking a life.

Not sure I follow this. If you're saying that birth control (not abortion...that's killing) is worse than murder, I see no logical, scriptural, or ethical backing for that statement.

It seems to me that taking a life is taking a life...I'm not sure I can fathom a more unGodly action.

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

yeah--I didn't follow that either.

13. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

14. skypair

skypair Active Member

My thought goes back to the creation of Adam. Gen 2:7 -- "... and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." The breath creates the soul (??). The spirit (mind, emotions, will) are a network of nerves and neurons with "natural"/animal capabilities. The soul (conscience) is something that God imparts to every human that 1) differentiates man from animal and 2) really gives man some innate awareness of God.

Of course, this also dismisses the idea of innate original sin else all would be born "dead souls" and it wouldn't be sin that causes the spiritual death of every man per Ezek 18:20. This is something you ought to consider if you really do believe that spiritual death is caused by sin, Rom 6:23.

skypair

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

ajg, thanks for the clarification.

16. PK

PK New Member

What does "With Child" mean?

I believe life starts at conception.

17. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I clicked the wrong button, I'm the life in the blood person. I meant to click conception. Sorry.

18. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many, as is shown here, say that life begins at conception. We are talking about Biblical life, not biological.

Gen. 2:7 says "Yahveh God (The LORD God) formed the man from the dust of the earth and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and the man became a living
    being."

I am simply curious, how do those of you who say life begins at conception understand this verse which says something quite different?

19. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quite simple. Adam was not born out of his mother's womb. Adam was created by God as a grown man. He was created from the dust of the earth (only God can do that). But as you have seen, God created all the animal world as well, and He did not breathed into them as He breathed into Adam. That is why men are unique, men are actually created to the "image" or similitude of God (who is a Spirit), therefore as old Billy Grahgam used to say, "man is a spirit and he has a body." With Adam there was no conception, only creation and the selfsame day he was a man. But when the blessings of a motherhood is taking place in a human being (a woman), an individual being is created by God - and life begins indeed anew at conception and not when the baby comes out of the womb and takes the first breath. :type:

20. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

This is the creative act of God in the formation of Man. Unlike the rest of creation that God spoke into existence, God with His own hands formed man from the dust/clay of the earth. When near completion this inanimate object of clay needed life. Unmoving, God would make it move. He breathes into the nostrils and the lifeless form becomes a living soul. From then own that living soul from God is regenerated in conception from generation to generation. God does not breath into every nostril every time an infant is born. The human soul is regenerated at every conception. Sense Adam sinned that soul is also carrying the curse of death. IF the breath of life is the source of life then there would be no passage of death from generation to generation. It would be free of the sin of Adam.

Jesus was the only life born of woman that did not carry the curse that came from Adam. The Holy Spirit caused Mary to conceive and thus Jesus was not born of man but of the breath of God. Now when we, who are dead in trespasses and sins, come to salvation in Christ that same Holy Spirit is born within us, in breathed made a live in Christ and no longer dead in Adam.

#20 Palatka51, May 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2008