1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured When is a person saved?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by seekingthetruth, Feb 26, 2012.

1. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

Ok, but if God has preordained you to go to heaven before you were even born, then why do you need faith? Isnt that contrary to DoG?

If it is "all God" and none of man, then why does man need faith?

John

2. seekingthetruth

I agree that we are saved when we believe in Christ. But, if you are required to believe, then arent you contributing to the process? Thus it is not "All of God, and none of me" if you are required to believe before you can be saved.

If God set his love upon you and chose you to be saved before eternity began, then why are you required to believe?

John

3. seekingthetruth

If God is all powerful and can do anything, then why would you say that "God cannot just forgive sins with the atonement of Jesus Christ"? Who made God's rules? Why couldnt he? And if He chose you to be saved before eternity then why does He need to forgive you? After all, He has already made up His mind and you dont have a choice, right?

And again, "without shedding of blood is no remission". Why not? After all, He is God. Why would the God that created blood need to shed it if we dont have a choice? I can totally understand why the shedding of blood is needed if man has to be shown that he needs to make a choice, but without a choice what is the point?

Your argument makes sense when applied to freewill because man chose to be evil and God gives us a choice to ask for forgiveness.

But, your argument makes no sense if God makes all of the decisions for us and we have no choice.

I guess this is my main problem with DoG. It just doesnt fit with the entire Bible the way freewill does. There are too many verses that freewill explains and really none that DoG explains without taking them out of context and mixing a bunch of unrelated verses together.

Johnny Cochran said "If it doesnt fit, you must aquit". Well, DoG doesnt fit with the rest of scripture. Freewill does.

John

4. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

What I see is because of His Foreknowledge, this is the key. What God foreknew about the choices you would make He therefore predestinated you to be a child of His.
    He didn't chose to save you randomly, He chose those who would trust Christ, Those He knew would make a positive choice to believe on His son to be children of God.

1 Peter 1: 2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

Peter says we are Elect according to the foreknowledge of God.

Paul said:
    Romans 8: 29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
    30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

Who He did foreknow He also did predestinate.

Our election, our calling, our justification and glorification are all based on what God foreknew about us. He knew what choice we would make. He didn't force us to make a choice, he didn't determine by His will that we would make that choice, He FOREKNEW the choice we would make and therefore elected us based on that choice.

5. seekingthetruth

Good post:thumbs::thumbs:

If we dont have a choice then what does Rom 10:9 mean? It doesnt say that God chose you to be saved, it says we will be saved when we confess with our mouth and believe in our hearts.

I dont see any other stipulations in that verse like having to be "predestined" or "elect"

Now I do believe that once we do confess and believe that we we become one of the "elect" and that makes us a member of the "predestined" body of Christ.

This is the argument in a nutshell. Calvinists take the terms "elect" and "predestined" out of context. The elect is anyone that comes to Christ, and the predestined are the body of Christ.

Neither term refers to the unconditional election of an idividual. Plain and simple.

John

6. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

Hey revmwc,

I said the same thing yesterday and then Skandelon replied thus:

What do you think?

7. seekingthetruth

Exactly Rev....just because God foresaw what choice we would make does not negate the fact that freewill and choice are required.

I would disagree with your use of "predestinate". Predestinate is a corporate term refering to the body of believers, not to an individual.

John

8. seekingthetruth

Jon, you are correct in that God already knows what choice we will make. After all, He is everywhere, past, present and future.

But Skandelon is right about predestination. It is not referring to the individuals. Noone is predestinated. Predestination refers to the entire body of believers. God did predestinate the church, but He never predestinated the individuals that would be a part of it. That choice is left up to us.

John

9. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

God knew the choice you would make before you were ever born. Just as He did with Esau and Jacob. God because He foreknew you and the choices you would make predestinated you to be conformed to the image of His Son. He predestinated the individual because He knew the choice they would make. He didn't force the choice, He Knew the choice. Why becasue He is omniscient.

10. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is the following predestinated?

And the all things of God, who reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and did give to us the ministration of the reconciliation, how that God was in Christ -- a world reconciling to Himself, not reckoning to them their trespasses; and having put in us the word of the reconciliation,

For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

Just what is the plan of the reconciliation? Is everyone presently being called?
    Are some actually blinded presently? Are not all born in trespass and sins (blind)?
    Paul was blindly on his way down the road to put in prison and or kill those of the way. Who opened his eyes? Was he thinking about the last few days and suddenly come to the conclusion, that guy Stephen we stoned the other day was right. Why did Paul believe Jesus was the Christ? My sheep hear my voice and they follow me.

Gen 12:1 And Jehovah saith unto Abram, `Go for thyself, from thy land, and from thy kindred, and from the house of thy father, unto the land which I shew thee.
    Gen 12:4 And Abram departed, as Jehovah hath spoken unto him

Did Abram depart because Abram had faith in the Lord or was it by faithfulness Abram departed when he was called for through the sheep Abram
    God was going to bring about the seed of the Woman? To Abraham and his seed were the promises made not seeds as of many but as of one, and that seed is Christ.

G3:19 Wherefore then the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; [and it was] ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
    G3:23 But before the faith came, we were kept under the law,
    shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
    G3:25 But after that the faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

It was through the faith of the one to whom the promise was made that you could be removed from under the penalty of the law. To give you hope for life by the resurrection of the one who had faith in his Father of raising him from the dead. He has received the promise. You are an heir of the promise that he has received. Abraham died not having received the promise, He is still dead today not having received the promise but his seed Christ has received the promise and Abraham and we will receive the promise at the next appearing of Jesus.

Right or Wrong?

#30 percho, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2012
  11. seekingthetruth

I agree with you, except for your use of the term "predestination". In every instance it is used in the Bible it is referring to a group of people not individuals, specifically the church.

God "predestined" the establishment of the Christian body of believers, not individuals.

John

12. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

That's true. An elect person will not die before he is saved.
    Not at all. I'm not sure how you can say this. It doesn't follow logic to say such a thing.

Now, where are you disagreeing. Are you disagreeing that God's will isn't absolute? Of course not! So, let me ask you this. If I were to have asked God 1000 years ago if you were going to be saved, could God have said yes. So could you have died before you got saved? If you say yes, then God was wrong.

Remember to ask yourself your own questions before asking them to someone else.

btw, did you understand my other points? You attempted an argument on the atonement. Do you understand the importance of the atonement now?

13. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Because God is just. Are you disagreeing with "god is all powerful and can do anything"?
    God
    Because he is just. Are you disagreeing?
    Because I'm a sinner.
    What are you asking? Why don't you ask yourself these same questions.
    You need to be very careful. Are you sure you know what you are saying? Are you really denying the purpose of the atonement? Are you really saying that God could have just forgiven without an atonement?
    First, we do have choices. So drop that straw man. Second, the atonement has nothing to do with our choices.

Ok, but this has nothing to do with the atonement.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess this is my main problem with DoG. It just doesnt fit with the entire Bible the way freewill does. There are too many verses that freewill explains and really none that DoG explains without taking them out of context and mixing a bunch of unrelated verses together.

Ok, but this has nothing to do with the atonement.

Its NOT OK (since he doesn't have a clue what Doctrines of Grace truly is) & you are correct JBH, it has nothing to do with the atonement.

#34 Earth Wind and Fire, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2012
  15. seekingthetruth

I understand the atonement from a freewill perspective, but it makes no sense from a Reformed perspective.

Why would Christ die to change people if they dont have the ability to change? God didnt need to sacrifice Christ to change us.

John

16. seekingthetruth

What I am saying is that without a choice, why was the atonement needed to save man?

God has the ability to save whoever He wants to right? God didnt need the atonement to save people, we did. But if we dont have the ability to accept the gift the atonement offers, then what was the point of it.

And, "God is just" does not answer the question.

And why do you Dogs always fall back to the "he doesnt understand Dog" argument when you cant answer a question.

And why do you always try to turn it around as in "What are you asking? Why don't you ask yourself these same questions.", and avoid answering? Of course i have asked myself the same questions, that's why they are on the board.

Dogs always, every time, no matter who it is on the BB, try to make all regular Christians look like fools.

That is why i despise Dog. I never want to have the self righteous attitude that they do.

John

17. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

There's not difference. The purpose of the atonement is exactly the same in the free will side vs the reformed side. The only difference is limited vs unlimited, but not the purpose of the atonement.
    Jesus Christ was sacrificed to pay for sin. We are sinners. it has nothing to do with free will.

18. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

All have sinned and come short of the Glory of God therefore the Atonement of Christ was for all sinners. The difference is accepting or rejecting the free gift of Salvation that atonement brings. That is an individual choice by the person. I chose to receive Christ because God knew what my choice would be He Predestinated me.
    God gave man the ability to choose to accept or reject but He did not choose who would accept or reject, He knew who would through His omnicience.

19. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Because man is a sinner and a just punishment must be made.
    No, the purpose of the atonement was to pay for sin. It has nothing to do with choice.
    It is the correct answer. God is just and He requires a just punishment for sin.
    Ok John, let's try to not say false things. I've very clearly answered your questions. (Oh and don't talk to me in the third person) You are being inconsistent and so I asked for you to ask yourself the same questions.
    Very false. We dont' do that at all. I've been very kind with you and patient.
    John, you need to cool down. You have a very bad attitude and shouldn't be posting like you are. I've attempted to have a civil discussion with you, but you have now resorted to saying I have a "self righteous" attitude and say that I treat you as you were a fool. Nothing could be further from the truth. I've answered your questions, but asked you to ask yourself the same questions. If you think about it, it appears that you are denying the sovereignty of God. I don't believe you are, but if you were to ask yourself the same question you asked me, you would see.

If you would like to continue, please refrain from the derogatory comments.

20. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Ok, I of course disagree as that's not God choosing, but the purpose of the atonement doesn't change. It's still required by God because God is holy and just and requires a just punishment for sin.