1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When is dancing wrong?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by John of Japan, Aug 8, 2006.

?
  1. Miriam and the women dancing before the Lord (Ex. 15:20)

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  2. The immodest, idolatrous dancing of the Israelites (Ex. 32)

29 vote(s)
    78.4%
  3. The folk dance of the daughters of Shiloh (Jud. 20)

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. David dancing before the Lord without outer garments (2 Sam. 6)

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  5. Children doing folk dances (Job 21:11, Luke 7:32)

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  6. Dancing as worship with tamborine (Ps. 150:4)

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  7. A young girl dancing for the entertainment of old man Herod (Matt 14)

27 vote(s)
    73.0%
  8. None of the above

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  9. All of the above

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the "Inappropriate handshake" thread, the subject of dancing came up. However, none of us were really dealing biblically with it, I feel. I think that every one of us probably has certain limits on what kind of dancing should be permitted by Baptists. Maybe you don't go as far as us IFB types, by you have your limits. So try my poll, and see what you think. :thumbs:

Warning: this has the possibility of becoming crude. Let's be mature--well temporarily, anyway--and keep this dignified, please. Thanks in advance for your participation.:saint:

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

anything but disco in my book ;)

well okay...exclude the Charleston too

is there supposed to be a poll attached to the thread too? just curious. Thanks for posting

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, you're fast! I was working on the poll while you posted! This software started the thread without me!!:rolleyes: :laugh:

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I gotta read some passages before I post to your poll . . .

But, if ya' see a bunch of south Texas men dancing, you would say that dancing would be wrong . . .

IMHO

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even after a Dallas Cowboys Superbowl victory? :laugh:

6. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

You really like to start trouble don't you John? :D

Dancing is a sin when it's main purpose is to incite lust.

7. PeterM

PeterM Member

Why are we so driven by issues such as this?

8. Kris

Kris New Member

I don't know

9. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

That is a good question, Peter.

Personally, I think it has to do with insecurity over ones salvation and whether or not our salvation can be lost or even affected by ones actions. "Dancing's a sin that will send you to hell!" (I can't count the number of times I was told this growing up)

Then there is the crowd that likes to compare their Christianity with that of others. "OOOooohhhhh, I saw you dancing last night, you must not be a good Christian!" This too is a form of insecurity for those who aren't grounded in the Word and walking close enough to the Lord to understand what really pleases Him.

Then there are a few who really believe that dancing may be the first step down the road to a sinful lifestyle, but evidently they forget that nonChristians are condemned already and Christians can depend on my signature scripture. (in purple at the bottom of my post)

10. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, my kids say it's wrong when I do it - they say I can't dance (and they're probably right!).

But... Dancing won't send you to hell! Rejecting Christ does that. Sometimes people do things that indicte that they probably don't have a relationship with Christ, but dancing, in and of itself, doesn't condemn us to hell.

#10 SBCPreacher, Aug 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2006
  11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I was raised in a home with no dancin', no drinkin', no skirts above the knee (boy did that make me an outcast as a teen in the 70's), no swimmin' with boys, no makeup. We were allowed to cut our hair, and thankfully, since I was raised on the gulf coast, I got to wear short sleeve shirts.

mmmmm -- In my thinking and biblical knowledge (tell me if I'm rationalizing) the limits on most activities have to do with our sinful nature and/or our testimony. So if lust is an issue, the dance wouldn't be right, but square dancing and line dancing are a different kind of recreation than some other dances (and even good exercise). I love the scripture about Miriam leading the women in dance and tamborines.

And I'm also thinking that while most of us don't participate in lots or any dancing -- we all know the illicit kind when we see it :thumbsup:

12. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll jig to that !

I don't dance, but that's because I don't have dancin' feet, so, if those who dance among you all see me dancin', why, you all will surely backslide.

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I read the question too fast and read "inappropriate" as "appropriate." So that accounts for the 1 vote saying Miriam and David's dancing, and children's folk dancing are wrong - I voted that those are right (in my head). Sorry about that! :smilewinkgrin:

The vote for dancing with a tamborine as worship as inappropriate is not mine.

#13 Marcia, Aug 8, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2006
  14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

This is without a doubt the best post on this subject. "Its a sin to dance" what a bunch of baloney. Anyway, to answer the question of the thread, it would be inappropriate to dance in track shoes on top of sleeping Calvinists.

15. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regarding:

I think it is important to note that Salome's dance is not some family-friendly ballet or folk dance for Herod to enjoy as a proud step-father/uncle.

From the context, it was likely some sort of strip-tease erotic dance that got Herod and his friends all worked up -- so much so that he offered her anything she wanted. (And keep in mind that he was lusting after his own niece/step-daughter!)

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who, little old me?? :saint: :smilewinkgrin:

What about when it is connected with idolatry, as with the Israelites? Right now all over Japan, the Bon (pron. bone) festival is going on. The Bon dance is a folk dance that looks perfectly innocent--but it's purpose is to "comfort" the dead who come back from Hell just once a year. It is thus a form of ancestor worship.

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

sounds like John has a Bon to pick with dancing

:laugh:

18. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Which reminds me of a joke, which I'll desperately try to word so as not to offend anyone.

Q. Why don't Baptists ever "know each other" while standing up?

A. They're afraid someone might accidentally barge in and think they're dancing.

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh:
    :laugh: Iyaaaaa. (Japanese groan.)

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You left out the crowd (including me) that genuinely believes most dancing (not all) is an unspiritual way for men and women to relate to one another. I also believe that most dancing (not all) by its physical nature opens the door to temptation to lust.

Jesus taught us to pray, "Lead us not into temptation," but then we put ourselves there if we (1) participate in a type of dance that requires physical touching between unmarried people, (2) participate in a type of dance that involves physical gyrations that call attention to certain parts of the body.

Your signature scripture is one of my favorites, but it says nothing about believers falling into temptation, which is what to me the issue of dancing is all about.

The other evening I was surfing the Japanese boob tube, and there was an American dance movie on, so I watched a little of it, since it was about a culture I know nothing about. (Gasp. Oh, please don't tell my supporting churches.:eek: ) The style of dance was hiphop, and the protagonist dance team actually claimed to be Christian, using the name "Little Saints." They prayed for God's help before their routine, then moved their bodies in a very sensual way. How in the world can that be done to the glory of God? (And we are to do all things to the glory of God, as per 1 Cor. 10:31.)