1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When Jesus cleared the Temple

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by jacob62, Apr 26, 2005.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Show me where it says not to sell Scripture. Scripture comes at a price. Read the biography of William Tyndale. He was burned at the stake for translating the Scripture into the English language so that the English speaking people of his time would be ablie to have the Scriptures. The Catholics tried to buy up all the copies that he ever produced and burn them before they ever reached the Bible hungry masses.

What does a good Bible cost nowadays? Do you know?
    I have seen Bibles priced as little as $25.00, to over $100.00. You think these should be given away? A good Bible is an investment. I have had my study Bible, the same one, since 1975. It has been rebound once. It was a good investment when I bought it. It was $40.00 in 1975. What would it cost now? You think these Bibles should just be given away?? You live in dreamland!!
    DHK

2. jacob62

jacob62 Guest

2nd Corinthians 2:17 Unlike so many,we do not peddle the word of God for profit.On the contrary,in Christ we speak before God with sincerity,like men sent from God.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Was Paul talking about books, scrolls, etc.?
    No, of course he wasn't. He wasn't selling books. You have taken this Scripture out of context to try and prove a point. There were false teachers in the Church of Corinth who envied the positions of leadership and wanted a leadership position simply for money sake. Paul wrote them, and told them that though they should not muzzle the ox that treads the corn, though the laborer is worthy of his hire, he had not taken anything from them. He did this that no finger would be pointed at him, particularly by these false teachers who were in the "ministry" so-called, simply for gain. Paul was teaching them a lesson by example. This has nothing to do with the selling of books. Keep things in their context.
    DHK

4. jacob62

jacob62 Guest

Either way,selling books or sermons ,"we do not peddle the word of God for profit",means just what it says.Put it in all contexts and test it.A man who sells the Gospel is in deep trouble.And if God allowed it,Paul could of easily sold scrolls to maintain his ministry and it would be a tool he would of written about so we could do it today.But no where is it written to do such.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No, you are making it say what you want it to say. Here is what Peter says about that:

2 Peter 3:15-16 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

2Tim.2:15 Says that we need to "rightly divide the word of truth."
    DHK

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

BTW jacob, What kind of Bible do you use on a regular basis? Did you pay for it? How many Bibles are in your house? Did you pay for any of them?

7. jacob62

jacob62 Guest

DHK,you may want to examine 2 Peter for yourself also.It is very plain throughout scripture that Jesus fed the sheep,not the other way around.You may have glossed over the verse...."we do not peddle the word of God for profit.",but I forgive you DHK.My bibles were free,if you like I can send you one free of charge.Further discussion of this subject is fruitless if you,DHK,have not been led by the Holy Spirit for understanding.God bless you.

8. RTG

RTG New Member

?jacob62,are you qualifyed to judge those who sell music,sermons,books?Are you the judge of how Jesus will suppy the needs of his sheep?If God gives us an opprotunity to give to someones ministry and recieve a blessing from the material Gods given them the ability to produce,where is the error?Has God not given us the oppritunity to give?It is better to give then to recieve. Who really gets the blessing?How many coins have you found in the mouth of fish?Can you really prove that our God can't provide for His flock in this way?What's wrong with saints sharing what God has given them with other saints?rtg

9. jacob62

jacob62 Guest

Jesus is the judge,through me.What is wrong with a person having faith in God to supply? Sales is not faith it is a lack of it.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Paul sold tents (perhaps even to the believers at church).
    Likewise Lydia sold purple (purple-dyed cloth)--maybe to the believers in the church at Philippi.
    There are many examples in Scripture. One of the most outstanding is Christ himself, the son of a carpenter who, like his earthly father (step father), became a carpenter. His home was a home business where things pertaning to carpentry were no doubt sold--right in the home of the Lord Jesus Himself. Jesus worked a secular job before he started his ministry at the age of 30. Just maybe he purchased some scrolls with the money he earned.

Acts 18:2-3 And found a certain Jew named Aquila, born in Pontus, lately come from Italy, with his wife Priscilla; (because that Claudius had commanded all Jews to depart from Rome:) and came unto them. And because he was of the same craft, he abode with them, and wrought: for by their occupation they were tentmakers.

Paul stayed with Aquila and Priscilla because they were of the same craft--tentmakers. They made money while they preached the gospel. If you look in the last chapter of Romans (16), you will find that Paul greets Aquila and Priscilla there. And he greets the church that meets in their house. Not only did the church meet in their house, but that is where they sold their tents. Whether it was books, cd's tapes, or tents, Aquila and Priscilla sold them in their house, which was their church. What more Biblical evidence do you want?
    DHK

11. jacob62

jacob62 Guest

You have obviously confused selling tents with selling the Gospel.Paul did not sell Jesus tents.If he sold tents to believers,so what.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The topic is "When Jesus cleared the Temple." See above. What did Jesus clear the Temple of? People selling secular things--sacrifical animals, money-changers, etc. What was Paul making tents for? To help him in the ministry--the same reason some preachers write books and sell cd's. Is either one wrong? No. Is there a difference between selling one or the other? No. The proceeds of both go to the furtherance of the gospel (that is the selling of the tent and the selling of a book).
    DHK

13. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

Rig said:How many coins have you found in the mouth of fish?

Jacob, it just occurred to me, maybe we have become the fish, and we are just being reeled in for our money!! LOL(joke)

:cool: ;)

Peace,

Tam

14. jacob62

jacob62 Guest

lol tamborine lady

15. jacob62

jacob62 Guest

DHK,I pray the Holy Spirit will reveal it to you someday because that is how we get understanding,not by study but by revelation from God.Amen

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There is no other revelation, but the revelation that is given to us in God's Word. That is why we study it. I trust that God will reveal the truth of God's Word to you as I have presented Scripture to you throughout this thread.
    DHK

17. RTG

RTG New Member

jacob and tamborine lady, just a few more ?'s if you don't mind.Do you all fellowship with other beleivers that have purchased there bible,if so do you point out there error to them as you have to all of us?Am I right to asume you both believe that Jesus clearing the temple is a picture of preachers and evanglest selling things in our churches?

18. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

There are a lot of folks that have Bibles. Most of them probably bought them. But not too many bought them at church. they are purchased at Christian bookstores.

That is quite different than buying them at church.

It is one thing to give a donation from time to time for something at church, and quite a different thing if there is constantly something ON SALE, (like this mornings sermon), etc.

Peace,

Tam

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Why is it different than buying them at the meeting place of the church. The church is not a building. The church is the people. We do not live under Judaism, and do not attend The Temple. Early Christians met in the Catacombs, a cemetary. That was their church "Building." The meeting placing of the church is totally irrelevant. And so is the place where the books are sold. Some places call the main place of their services "the sanctuary." But in truth, a sanctuary is where they keep birds. We meet in the auditorium of our church building. It is used for a number of purposes, not just the once or twice a week Sunday meeting.

And if things are sold there, so be it. Sometimes the Trinitarian Bible Society has met there, and sold their books and Bibles there. Does that desecrate the "temple" any. Of course not. The temple is the body. "Ye are the temple of the Holy Ghost." Not the church building. That the church building should replace the Temple is a totally unscriptural comparison.
    DHK

20. jacob62

jacob62 Guest

Matthew 10:7-8 As you go,preach this message:"The kingdom of heaven is near.'Heal the sick,raise the dead,cleanse those who have leprosy,drive out demons.Freely you have received,freely give.