1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When looking for a church what should you be looking for?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by John3v36, Nov 6, 2007.

1. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

When looking for a church what should you be looking for?
    I know baptist.
    So okay tell me what Kind of church without using the Baptist name.
    attabuttse is what I'm looking for.

We are looking at a move.:tonofbricks:

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I'd first be listening to see how what the Pastor says lines up with God's word.

I'd want to know how they feel about supporting missions and how that support plays out.

Farther down the list, but not much, I'd want to know how they organize small groups and how preschool - youth programs are handled.

3. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Christ centered preaching

4. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Hot chicks.

Actually, that comment would be funnier if you saw the churches I've attended in the past few years. Probably the only single women in these churches are 80+ years old and widowed. Even the married couples are generally older than I am, and I'm old as dirt.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Solid Bible teaching first and foremost. This is absolutely a make or break issue.

Others for me:

good worship
    small groups
    good youth group and children's programs (we have teens and little ones)
    reaching out to the community in ministry
    fellowship with other solid churches in the area (no lone rangers)

I don't care if the church has a Baptist name on it or not. I'll go with whatever will preach Christ and be able to meet the Spiritual needs of my family and be a place where I can minister to others to help meet THEIR needs.

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

All the things mentioned in the previous posts have some importance.

Solid doctrine, with solid biblical preaching are important.
    The teachers should also be solidly grounded in the word, and have an obvious teaching gift.

The tone of the worship service isimportant. Worship style preferences may differ, but at the very least one should leave it feeling like he had truly worshiped.

A lot of churches can meet these criteria. The one's which don't will quickly become obvious.

But here is the most important question one should ask. Is this where God would have me serve?

7. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Really? Even the Hot Chicks? Cool, and I only meant it as a joke.

8. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Before I answer, I need to know what an "attabuttse" is; the word is not in my dictionary and a Google search brings up no hits at all. Could you have meant to type "attributes"?

9. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

I know what you mean npetreley.
    Most of the people in my church are in their late 60's to quite a few 90's! Since I'm middle-aged, I'm considered a 'kid' there. However, there is a bright side. Today is our Thanksgiving dinner get-together and all those older ladies sure know how to cook! Good ol' Texas cornbread stuffing, sweet potatos, Angel bisquits, home made pies, home made peach, blackberry cobblers, fresh vegetables from their gardens..........now I've made myself hungry......gotta go.

10. skypair

skypair Active Member

I find that...

... IMO, if there are too many old people in the church, the church is not "passing the torch" -- not evangelical. The people are either soaking it in and not letting it out or they have nothing to let out. Optimally, the church will be medium sized and growing.

I don't care for churches that have to recite the Apostle's Creed and the Lord's Prayer every Sunday as if that were some kind of "mantra" for getting into heaven or membership in the body of Christ.

Holding an invitation Sunday mornings to receive Christ is important. It is another opportunity for someone you have been withnessing to, if they will come and visit, to repent and receive Christ.

I like to hear "hard preaching" sprinkled in. You know, that which provokes us to good works and faith and away from those self-absorbent, do nothing patterns we all seem to set up for ourselves.

Definitely make sure that the church is not a "Rick Warren" inspired "seeker friendly" church.

That ought to be a hard enough bill to fill, eh?

skypair

11. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Oh, a joke? Sorry. Never mind.