1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When sheep, forget they are sheep

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by stilllearning, Aug 24, 2010.

1. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Recently on another thread, the “identity” of the people in the pews, came up:
    (Some would imply, that man has evolved to the point, that simply being born again elevates a person to the point where they no longer have to be led, but can simply be encouraged to live for the Lord.)

The root of this idea, could possibly be found in the false teaching that “every Christian is a disciple”:
    (This false notion can be traced back to the point when the English Bible’s wording was changed(Matt.28:19), to indicate that the Lord tells us to “make disciples”.)

No such command is found in the Bible, because it is impossible for any of us to “make” someone sit at Jesus’ feet, and learn from Him.

This is a decision, that each individual believer, makes for themselves.

Jesus himself is found in God’s Word, encouraging “believers”, to make this decision to become a disciple.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Therefore, the reason, sheep forget that they are sheep, is because most pastors slap the name “disciple” on a Christian, before they have made this commitment and start encouraging them, down the wrong road.

By the way, the wrong road for a young Christian to take, is the one where they sit at the feet of men, to learn “about” the Lord.

The right road new Believers should be on, is one where they are drawing neigh to Jesus and learning to be fed by Him!

Then, after they mature and have some discernment, they can safely sit at the feet of men and eat the fish & spit out the bones!

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the English Bible wording for Matthew 28:19 was changed, what was it originally?

How do you reconcile what you've written with such passages as Acts 18:26?

3. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Hello Don

Nice to speak to you.

Aquila and Priscilla, ministered to Apollos in the same way believers minister to one another today.
    Yes, I believe that Apollos was a believer(a follower of John the Baptist), who needed a little more information.

As for reconciling this, what my statement about “not sitting a man’s feet”:
    Men & women believers, can give us more understanding about Spiritual things, but we must be taught, that we should always go to the Lord, for the bottom line.
    For example, a pastor should not tell the members of his Church, “how to live”, but should preach God’s instructions from His Word and allow the Holy Spirit to fill in the details.

I have a friend who is a pastor, who preaches against rock and roll, even though he can’t find a single verse of Scripture to support his teaching.

Things like music and dress, are not laid out in detail in God’s Word, because each of us are expected to follow the Holy Spirit’s personal instructions to us in these areas.

Now this pastor, is still a good man who preaches the Gospel, but he is hurting his congregation by not teaching them to listen for and follow the Holy Spirit’s personal instructions to them.
    As a result, his people’s Spiritual growth is going to be somewhat stunted, because they will not be listening the Holy Spirit’s instructions in this area.

The Bible tells us, that we grow Spiritually, not by following some man’s rules, but by following the Holy Spirit’s instructions...........
    2 Corinthians 3:18
    “But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, [even] as by the Spirit of the Lord.”

Also, I know that this idea about “conditional discipleship” may sound off the wall, but it is 100% Biblical;
    The Lord NEVER talked about being one of His disciples, without laying down some conditions.

Many people(maybe most Christians), can be saved, without being a disciple.

Both Mary & Martha were believers, yet Martha was not a disciple..........
    Luke 10:40-42
    V.40 But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.
    V.41 And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
    V.42 But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

Although I am sure that later on she grew to that point.