1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured When should a pastor be removed?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by pk4life, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am am a Baptist. I do not believe any man/woman has spiritual authority over anyone. Spiritual authority is the only authority that has any real meaning. What I am saying is that we should be extremely show to take such a drastic action. We either take Christ's saying and teachings seriously and approach each situation looking for a loving solution. What I have seen in my rather long life is far too many people wanting to stone another while they themselves are guilty of far more. Not only did Christ say, Let him without sin ..............

Christ also said, "Do unto others are you would have them do to you."

And James said, "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry."

All our decisions must be tempered by the teachings of Christ.

2. pk4life

pk4life Member

So we should keep unsaved people in the pulpit. Got it.

3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Sounds to me 'the unforgiving servant' here is not the pastor.

4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Under YOUR standard, the pastor should be removed for even a traffic ticket.

Look again at the good post that 12 strings made. He is wise in what he stated.

5. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Temperance in all matters is not a bad word to follow.

There are a few items that transcend temperance, and a pastor who consistently leads a double life, is not to remain in the office of elder.

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably not. Do you hate your wife or children or parents? or do you prefer not being His disciple?

7. pk4life

pk4life Member

You have been responding to what you think happened since you entered this thread. I never had a chance. Pardon me if I get a little short with that absurdity.

8. preacher4truth

Not quite. I've only responded to your side of the story and have concluded justly that it isn't the pastor that is the 'unforgiving servant' here.

9. pk4life

pk4life Member

Incorrect. From your first post.

You're making stuff up, and basing all your commentary on that. You did not get that from anything I said, aside from foolish asssumptions.

10. 12strings

12strings Active Member

1. So would you disagree that there is NEVER a situation in which the right and godly thing to do is to remove a pastor from leadership...or a member from membership? How does your view fit with 1 cor. 5 & the Tim & titus qualifications for pastor?

2. Yes we do...so if I'm ever in a group of people about to stone someone for adultery when the second party to the adultery is getting off scott free...I will put down my stones...and if a brother sins against me grievously and is unrepentant, and bringing shame to Christ, I will take Jesus's words seriously and address him privately, then with a few others, then take it to the church.

11. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As long as it is done in a manner that meets the teaching of Christ. Your idea below of approaching him quietly seems a good way to start, but not a public stoning.

Too often we Christians are far too ready to crucify our own.

2. Yes we do...so if I'm ever in a group of people about to stone someone for adultery when the second party to the adultery is getting off scott free...I will put down my stones...and if a brother sins against me grievously and is unrepentant, and bringing shame to Christ, I will take Jesus's words seriously and address him privately, then with a few others, then take it to the church.[/QUOTE]

12. preacher4truth

Yes, call me foolish and blessings to you. I've made all my commentary based upon your 'story' and frankly your story lacks evidence, yet you want to convict a pastor. You've smelled blood and now you're crazed for it.

That, and all we have is your side of the story, so go see Proverbs 14:15 for instance. Any wise person should be leery of commenting when you only start off with a portion of the truth only to come out later with 'more'. That is being deceitful and is begging the question. :wavey:

On your side (congregational) you've shown such to be the 'unforgiving servant' side. Thus YOU are in error.

You've failed to prove the pastor as such. Honestly you should be ashamed, but up to this point I don't think you can be ashamed.

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The right answer is whenever a local church congregation votes either a majority or two thirds to remove him depending on their Constitution.

14. PeterM

PeterM Member

The removal of a pastor/elder should fall under the process of church discipline as a whole. There is no other standard in Scripture. Follow the steps of Matthew 18 whether the person is a pastor or a church member.

Most baptist churches fail grossly in the work of church discipline... unless it's a pastor then all bets are off. My encouragement would be that the other elders/pastors in the church be empowered to address the situation and lead the church through it.

15. PeterM

PeterM Member

To deny you are under spiritual authority in the context of your relationship with your church and pastors is completely out of step with Scripture. To associate that position with being "baptist" misconstrues what it means to be baptist.

Slow deliberate intentional... that is good advise in pursuing corrective church discipline.

16. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your interpretation, not mine. In my relative long life I have seen far too many pastors with feet of clay to believe you are correct in your interpretation.

And, I really do not know what you mean by spiritual authority. If you mean they stand between me and God than I am sure you are incorrect. If you do not mean this, then I have no idea what you are saying. Please enlighten me.

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    CBT is here only to justify Obama. These are the arguments he will make if a resolution of impeachment is initiated.

18. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your logic is most strange. So, in your eye taking the teachings of Christ seriously is a political stance. I think that is an error in your theology.

Also, please stay on topic.

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Not strange at all. I got you pegged.

20. PeterM

PeterM Member

As a pastor, I have "spiritual authority" over the people I serve. As a baptist, I do not mean that I am a "medium" for them. As a baptist, spiritual authority is derived from 1 Peter 5:1-4 and Hebrews 13:7, 17 where elders (pastors) have a clearly defined responsibility to lead (not rule), feed, live a life worth imitating. As baptists, we traditionally hold to the doctrine of the "priesthood of the believer" which I affirm. in the outflow of church governance, congregationalism may appear democratic, but it isn't democracy.

There are going to be some who are hypersensitive to catholicism who reject biblical authority in totality, believing they are an island unto themselves. This is an overreaction and is as unbiblical as catholicism.

And I'm not sure what this has to do with your political views, but FWIW, I do not link the two together.