1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When the Call Comes

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by USN2Pulpit, May 9, 2003.

1. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Friends,

The church where I was under consideration and preached in few of a call a couple weeks ago unanimously deciding to call me to pastor them. This was a "natural" undivided vote, in that they didn't take a second vote to call it a "unanimous call," like I've seen it done before. It was unanimous the first time. This is very encouraging to me.

Now I have to get myself together...sell my house in MD, arrange for a move to MO, prepare my wife and three kids, comfort my mom (who dreads my leaving a well-paid job for this - let's face it, I won't be getting a raise!), etc., etc., etc...

Alright, since I'm going, I'm interested in pastor perspective for this kind of a move. My first church ministry... Bring on the sage advice and wisdom, pastors, don't let me down...pour it on...I'm listening.

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Bump...

It's strangely quiet in this thread. Most unusual for the lot around here! Those of you that remember your first pastoral ministry, please give me the "do's" and "do not's" that you've learned by experience.

Thanks...

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Don't overestimate what can be done in one year....don't underestimate what can be done in five years. Probably some of the best advice I was ever given. Proven true.

You only get one shot to begin. Lay out your policies and convictions (wedding policy, day off, study habits, etc.) right at the beginning. It's like herding cats to have to fill in as you go along.

I'll have to write more later as I'm in a bit of a rush.

4. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Hi, I am not a pastor, but I would suggest not too be eager to change things too quickly. Take time to observe, listen and learn. There may be some (unfortunately) who want only to create a good impression. Others will be quick to tell you that "this is the way we have always done it". Biding your time you will come to know "your flock" and their gifts and talents and those who like to "be up front" and those who prefer to work "behind the scenes". There will also be the ones who don't want to /can't contribute their time . These are just things which I have observed over the years..people being people. Above all don't forget you are human and you have needs and feelings and family too.

Blessings [​IMG]

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "God is more interested in the man than in the ministry."

In the pastorate (esp a first call) you can become immersed the the day-to-day routine of the ministry. Sermon work, calls, counseling, and those are good.

But they are secondary (or actually 4th) to your walk:</font>
    • Relationship with God</font>
    • Relationship with your bride</font>
    • Relationship with your kids</font>
    • Relationship with your people</font>
    Put these in the correct order. Easy on paper.
    Keep these in the correct order. Hard in real time.