When they're starving....

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by NateT, Feb 12, 2004.

1. NateT

NateT
    Expand Collapse

On another thread, Dr. Bob said:
    A number of people thought that was a pretty witty statement about why people would follow the teachings of people like Joyce Meyer. I must admit, I personally like the statement as well.

However, I think the truth of this statement should inspire us (laymen and clergy alike) to make sure that God's people are not starving. If we sit around blasting people for the garbage they teach, we need to make sure we're serving up Outback Steaks.

Dr. Bob, I bet you didn't think such a simple statement would cause so much response huh?

2. donnA

donnA
    Expand Collapse

When I get hungry and go to the store I am responsible for what I buy and eat.
    A hungry Christan is not always from a church that is not feeding. You can not make people eat. People are ultimately responsible for their own spiritual life and relationships with God.
    Watching the garbage on TV is easier, less time consuming, costs nothing(tithing), requires nothing from the listener, does not require that one live a Christian life. Basically it's for the lazy Christian, who is looking for the spectacular(Benny Hinn, TBN types) and out of the ordinary(Joyce Meyers ordained woman).

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

It is the shepherd's job to lead the sheep to "good pasture" where they can eat. It is NOT his job to "force feed" them.

Problem in many of our ifb churches is that there is a steady diet of John 3:16 and diatribe from pastors telling members xyz how to live. No depth, no doctrine, no growth - keep them babies and keep them dependent on the pastor.

What an ego trip for the pastor. But the sheep don't get the nourishment they need. Many go faithfully week after week AND ARE STARVING and don't even know it.

Shallow, simplistic pablum is good only for a few months of a baby's life. Then he must "move on" to understanding the deeper truths of God's Word. Never met a preacher (described above) who didn't THINK he was preaching the whole counsel of God. But he is deceived.

Probably learned the ways of starvation well in his training and is just "programmed" to think that is what reality is.

Sad.

4. donnA

donnA
    Expand Collapse

Very thankful to have a church that actually teaches us, and encourages us to move to deeper study and understanding.

5. Precepts

Precepts
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

A number of people thought that was a pretty witty statement about why people would follow the teachings of people like Joyce Meyer. I must admit, I personally like the statement as well.

However, I think the truth of this statement should inspire us (laymen and clergy alike) to make sure that God's people are not starving. If we sit around blasting people for the garbage they teach, we need to make sure we're serving up Outback Steaks.

Dr. Bob, I bet you didn't think such a simple statement would cause so much response huh?
    </font>[/QUOTE]I don't, I thought she was a fruitcake and that is what helped to keep me away from God becuase of people like her.

People aren't looking for garbage, the garbage men take it and dress it up to look like t-bone, then expect you to pay higher prices than Ruth's Crist's. And if people listen to her long enough they'll end up paying their ultimate price by going to hell.

6. Gina B

Gina B
    Expand Collapse

Seeing threads like this makes me even more grateful for a good church and a wonderful pastor!
    [​IMG]
    Joyce Meyers. Don't know a lot about her, but she did have a wonderful affect on a former neighbor of mine. We used to get into arguments because she's cuss and yell and I'd get on her case to hush up because I didn't need my kids hearing it, then she's cuss and yell at me too. LOL I decided to pray for her.
    This went on for months, and one day she came up to me and apologized. Said she's started watching Joyce Meyers and started feeling bad for how she was acting and that she needed God and was going to start trying to do right.
    So, whatever garbage she might be putting out, she had a positive influence toward the good in the only unsaved person I knew personally that listened to her.
    Gina

7. Precepts

Precepts
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Yeah, now Gina your neighbor is fast approaching becoming a two-fold child of hell due to her reformation encouraged by Meyer. Won't be long and she'll have her conscience seared over with a hot iron and be on the one way trip to hell.

You really should get to know your neighbor better and try to win her to Christ. Or you can simply keep rejoicing that she is not cussing at you and in front of your kids and watch her slip off into apostacy all the while.

8. Gina B

Gina B
    Expand Collapse

Actually, I was going to just pick her up and throw her directly into hell. It's much more direct and will get my evil intentions done much faster than continuing to witness and not slam automatically slam her first attempt in 50 years to change her life.
    Gina

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

Gina - Learn to ignore folks who demonstrated a bitter judgmental spirit.

[Editted to eliminate a bitter and judgmental spirit on MY part. Sorry.]

[ February 13, 2004, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Bob Griffin ]

10. NateT

NateT
    Expand Collapse

It is true, that you can't force Christians (or anyone) to stay out of the garbage. But you can offer them a better alternative. That is all I was suggesting.

I feel like we have more pastors/preachers who pick a verse and then talk about whatever it was they wanted to talk about, rather than opening up the Bible and showing what the Bible says, what it means and how we are to use it.

There will always be people who go after the "garbage" just a way of life, but we don't need to be showing them the way to the alley.

11. Gina B

Gina B
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the tip Dr. Bob. This place has grown way to much to be as familiar with everyone as in the past!
    Gina

12. Chet

Chet
    Expand Collapse

Feeding upon garbage will only make or keep people sick. This is the same garbage that the world feeds upon. There is no doubt that a philosophy of the world may make a person “think” about their lifestyle. But most assured, that philosophy continues to feed people’s flesh and make them “think” they are on their way to heaven. Joyce Meyer is not just a little confused and preaching surface truths, she preaches and serves a false god.

I sympathize with Gina L and her neighbor. Unfortunately we can’t control what someone flips on the television and starts watching. She could have just as well flipped to Hinn, Copeland, or the Catholic channel. The end result is the same. Satan is using his false teachers for his purpose of keeping people away from the true God. I am sorry Gina, but I do not feel that Meyer has a positive influence period. There are a lot of unsaved people who have turned their life around and feel their “ethics” have improved. No doubt, there certainly is the possibility that anyone or thing can cause a person to consider their life and turn to the Scripture. There are people who learn about Scripture through these type of cults, but it’s not because of, but in spite of them. The mass of people get caught in its web of deceit and lies and are willing to remain believing its false claims, because it appeals to their flesh.

It is my observation that most of the pulpits in this world are spewing shallow half truths. I do not believe that the answer to people’s quest for truth should be answered by “inviting them to our church”. We should be encouraging them to actually read the Scripture. Far too few people actually read what it says, much less study it in depth. It has the power to change lives, and reveal to people what is good food and what is nothing more than rotten garbage that is not fit for the soul.

13. BillyMac

BillyMac
    Expand Collapse

wheeeeeeewwwwwww. Boy, do I know what you are talking about here! Your edit that is. I have written many a post in my head and even hit that quote button and gotten a screen before I realize that my emotions need to remain in check, and i x it on outta sight. lol.

14. gb93433

gb93433
    Expand Collapse

How true what you wrote. But I have experienced the opposite problem too. I have tried to disciple people in the church and found that many are already "churched" and don't want to step out of the mold. I have found that some actually get mad when challenged. I have actually had some say things in the service disrupting the service. One time I was told that I ought to speak on gossip. Well I did and found out who the gossip was. HE came running at me and stopped past me. Then he waited for me after the setrvice full of venom. Later he continued to make my life miserable leading some along with him. When this happened I was preaching through The Sermon on The Mount. That congregatiion had a diet of Jn 3:16 and told me they wanyed something different. What they really wanted was number at no cost to them. They wanted head knowledge and not the work and walk with God it takes to be a godly person.

Some close friends of mine became Christians by reading books that the Mormon Chruch recommended so that they might know how Christians think. Well they read them and checked out the sources and became Christians. They left the Mormion church and stayed home for about six months and each Sunday they studied the Bible with their children. Their children became Christians. Their businesses were boycotted openly by the Mormon Church. When they decided to attend a church they went to four paastors before one of them would even accept them into the congregation. One of them did and that couple was asked to start teaching the people in the congregation how to witness to Mormons. The congregation grew to almost 600. Most of them Mormons who became Christians. Finally after so many and so much growth the deacons told the pastor that they wanted him to leave. They were tired of their new family of new believres.