1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured When to Tithe?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by BaptistJay, Feb 25, 2012.

1. BaptistJay

BaptistJay New Member

If this posted twice I am sorry, my browser crashed when posting the first time. I looked for my post after that and did not see it.
    I am in 100% agreement with tithing. I have done it ever since I was saved years ago. However I am now in a circumstance I have never really been in. I am planning on joining a different church in the near future. I am not happy with many of the things going on at my current church. One of the many is the way money is being spent, on unnecessary things. Some of that money could go to much better causes like some of our missionaries. Among other things. I am not being a nit picky about it either. I don't want to share details, I just believe how they are handling it is WRONG!
    There are other reasons I am leaving as well none that I care to get into that is not the reason for my post. What I would like some input on is is there anything that clearly says you must tithe the moment you get paid? I didn't see that anywhere. I was thinking of saving my tithe until I joined a new church literally it's a new church not even started yet but will be soon.
    Yes I will save the money and I will tithe it to the new church. Is there anything biblical wrong with saving my tithing money and giving it to the new church I join?
    I am in good standing at my current church, but lots of things going on and I really don't want to give them the Lords money to spend flippantly.
    Anything in the scripture that would say I am wrong handling my tithe this way?

2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

If you are looking for an adequate home for your tithe, I'll send you the mailing address of my church. I assure you that we are using all the money for all the right things...

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'd say that if you are currently attending your "former" church, then you should be giving your tithe/gifts to your "former" church. When the time comes that you leave that church and you start attending the new church, then your giving will switch to the new church.

4. drfuss

drfuss New Member

You are worrying about a problem that does not exist. Tithing was a requirement for the Hebrews under the law and is not applicable to Christians. However, Christians should give offerings to the work of the Lord and give them freely. If you do think what is going on in your church is wrong, then you should stop giving to your church. Of course if you are a leader in your church, then there is an obligation on your part to give offerings to your church until you resign.

God does not expect you to give to something that you think is wrong.

5. BaptistJay

BaptistJay New Member

I disagree with DR Fuss, I am not trying to argue If I should tithe at all clearly
    we disagree on that matter.
    For those who agree with tithing, my question has not really been answered.
    The crux of my question is
    Anything in the scripture that would say I am wrong handling my tithe this way?

6. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

In my humble opinion......

(1) Giving a set percentage of your income, designated as a tithe, isn't a requirement, as it was under the OT Law. The only requirement today is simply to give what you give with a willing heart. Doesn't matter if it's a 10% of your income (avoiding the word tithe, as some will argue that designation), or any other amount above/below that percentage. Give what you give with a glad heart and no remorse.

(2) I know of no set time frame with regards to offerings to the Lord. A church may try to designate one in an attempt to keep their offering plates filled. Give to the Lord when your heart leads you to do so.

(3) I know of no specific place where offerings to the Lord are required to be given. For example, there are a number of Baptist churches around us. If I were to give an offering of $100, I have the choice of giving it to one church or dividing it among 6 or 7 of them. Plus, using some of it to buy groceries for a needy family nearby. (Delivered to them in the name of our Lord.)

Pray. Have Patience. Listen. Let the Holy Spirit lead you in what you decide to do with the portion of your income that you return to the Lord.

That's what we did, for whatever that may be worth to you. Not all of our offerings go into the collection plate. Not all of our offerings have a monetary value, as we give of our time, as well.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No, there is no Scripture that says that you can withhold your giving until you feel like giving it.

8. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Thee is nothing wrong with the way you handle your tithe. If you want to adopt the Hebrew system of tithing for yourself, that is fine with me.

From the OP, It sounds like BaptistJAY thought it is a scriptural requirement for him to tithe; It is not a scriptural requirement for Christians to tithe. Offerings, Yes.

9. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Nor is there any scriptural requirement that say a Christian is required to give a tithe.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree but the OP is asking if there is Scripture supporting his idea to withhold a tithe and I'm telling him there is not. :)

11. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I agree as well, simply because there is no scriptural set timeline for tithing. OT people did it once a year, I guess, at harvest. Some people do it weekly, some monthly. So is one person sinning because they "store up" their tithe for a whole month? i think not.

12. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

1. Tithing isn't for the NT church just as offering sacrifices isn't for the NT church. Nowhere in the entire NT are we commanded to tithe. Paul told us how much to give. "Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." So you are not obligated to give this church 10% of your income.

2. Even if the tithe were for today, saving your money and giving it later isn't wrong. Giving once a month isn't any different from giving once a week.

3. Why are you still at the church? If you are having issues and are going to leave, why are you still there?

13. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, of course not.

No, of course not.

No.

In fact, the Bible says:

2 Cor. 9:7 Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

I think that verse covers all three of your questions quite nicely.

You don't have to tithe immediately when you get paid--that would be under compulsion.

You don't have to tithe to a church where you think they are spending the money flippantly--that would be giving reluctantly.

If you want to tithe to the new church you are going to attend--that would be you deciding in your heart how to give.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I agree that “tithing” is not technically required of the NT Church (100% of what we are given and who we are belongs to God), is actually a difficult question. Perhaps not so much in a biblically “right or wrong” way, but from a personal perspective.

I think that church membership is often taken too lightly. When we join into a local body of believers, the local church, it is establishing a relationship with that particular body of believers. It is difficult to change churches, regardless of the reasons we do have an obligation to the church where we belong.

I say this because I have recently done the same, I gave to the church where I was attending.

Regardless of the church you give to, you are being faithful in giving what you have decided to give.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

#15 gb93433, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2012
  16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To answer the Thread title - never! As I agree with most of the others- tithing is OT. NT teaches grace giving. With that said - 10% is a good benchmark to give. (but there are times when 10% is not enough)

But to answer the spirit of your OP, I have a few questions first.

Have you spoken to the pastor and or finance committee about the items you deem unnecessary?

Do you attend business meetings and or committee meetings? Have you spoken up in a meeting on the items in question?

Salty

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If someone believes in tithing just ask them when the tithe went from 23.33% in the OT to 10%. You might add that you would need to ask the person when the tithe of 23.33% (which included the combination of what the government and religious establishment) and went to 10% just for the religious establishment.

18. BaptistJay

BaptistJay New Member

Salty to answer all of your questions yes.
    Also Our pastor doesn't always seek the church's approval when spending money, I mean a fair amount of money too not just a little here and there. He picks and chooses when he will bring things up to the church, which is a another issue that I don't want to discuss here.

someone else asked why are we still there. Well #1 we are involved in some ministries and don't want to just leave others high and dry, and two there really are not a lot of good churches around to go to near us. Hopefully the new work that is starting will be one we join. I know some people that are starting it.

19. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

If I give 10% of gross income as a baseline plus offerings above it without any regrets or remorse, why should I be concerned about percentages from the OT or percentages to Caesar in comparison? Aren't we to render to each his due? For one, to meet the legal requirements. For the Other, as we choose based on what's in our hearts.

I haven't done our income tax paperwork yet. So, right now I'm estimating our total REPORTED giving is somewhere around 18-20% of our gross income. The actual is higher than that. The only reason I know that approximate percentage is because of the government's requirements. Not because Christ expects us to meet some percentage amount for the past calendar year.

Just my 2-cents, for whatever a penny is worth these days. Probably not much as it costs more to make a penny than the "value" of the coin in this economy.

This morning I have no idea what the total percentage to the Lord will be in 2012. May be higher or lower than last year. It will be what we gladly return to Him when the collection plate is passed. It will be what we're led to do to help someone in need. It will be recorded on someone's cash register receipts when we buy groceries that end up on the pantry shelves at church, rather than staying in our kitchen. I've never felt the need to document a donation of a pound of coffee. Yet, that would be a part of the percentage calculation being discussed.

In closing, how do we put a percentage on labor freely given to serve the Lord? Should I use the current charge rate of local plumbers when I fix the sink in the Fellowship Hall? Or, housekeeper rates when mopping the floor there? After all, those hours have a dollar value, in terms of percentages in our total offerings to the Lord for 2012.

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is giving not tithing. Tithing was done when the religious establishment and government were one. Tithing was a total 23.33% (two tithes each years and one additional every three years).