1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When to witness

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by stilllearning, Jul 23, 2011.

1. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

On another thread, that was also about witnessing, I made some statements about this subject that although were very true, they were incomplete.
    Because they were in response to what others had said.
    So here is my complete answer.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Years and years ago, my old pastor used to say..... “Whenever you are out interacting with people, the thought may come to your mind to witness to someone; This is more than a thought, this is the LORD speaking to your heart, telling you to witness to that person.”

He continued with an explanation by saying.... “You can know this is the Lord’s voice because neither your flesh nor the devil, would be telling you to talk to others about their need for Christ, so it must be the Lord.”

Now, as a young Christian I followed this advice in ignorance(just because my pastor told me to), but a few years later as I grew in Christ I started to question everything that I had been taught by everyone, to make sure it was sound.
    Well this advice stuck, because it is sound.
    My flesh certainly does not want to bring up this subject out of the air.
    (I still follow this rule every day of my life and it gets easier and easier all the time.)

It was then, that I actually began to listen to the Lord’s voice; Because I was doing this to be obedient to the LORD, rather than some man.

And I also learned that the opposite of this rule is just as true.
    If I have an encounter with an acquaintance or a friend or even a relative and then later realize that I had “forgotten” to witness to them, this used to make me feel bad.
    Then I realized that if I was walking in the Spirit at the time, I could not have forgotten;
    Therefore the Lord didn’t bring it to my mind, because it wasn’t His will at that time.
    --------------------------------------------------
    I had to say this these things, because I know that a lot of Christians are looking for any excuse they can, “not to witness”, because they are afraid to.
    And the things I said in the other thread, would give them a easy “out”!

Witnessing is nothing to be afraid of, because we should fear “the Lord” more than we do any man.
    Therefore the reason most Christians don’t witness, is because they don’t fear the Lord enough.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pure rationalizing on your part. You're making excuses and putting the onus on God.

Is that why you didn't speak with the two ladies?

3. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Do you share the Gospel with everyone you come in contact with? If not, you are being hypocritical toward Stilllearning. I guess when a Calvinists misses an opportunity, they can always claim it was not predestined to be.

4. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does calvinism have to do with this? That's a rhetorical question because the answer is nothing.

We ought to be ready with an answer. I am not certain that just forgetting is a sign that we weren't being led by the Spirit or that we were. That's a personal conversation we ought to each have with the Lord.

We have a missionary here at our church who keeps reminding us to "say a good word about Jesus" to everyone we speak with. That sounds like good advice.

5. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    stilllearning, one can't begin to count the times I made a complete and utter fool out of myself as a young Christian when it came to witnessing. To begin with, I didn't have the knowledge of the Word to overcome any of the obstacles the non-believers would throw back at me, but, I was doing what and how my Pastor had instructed. Talk about frustration.

Over the years I've come to realize you can only witness to those who want to hear it and for sure, the Lord knows who they are. He will put those people in your path. Over-zealous individuals can often do more harm than good. Again, I really don't believe that everyone can witness verbally and should not be encouraged to do so. Some can witness simply by sight, dress, manor, attitude, etc.

I attended a wedding in Maine a while back and was asked to say a prayer for the newlyweds. After I had finished this one guy came up to me and asked if I was a "Man of the Cloth". I got a chuckle out of that and no, I didn't witness to him but did let him know that I was a Born Again Christian.

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I have found that it I am willing to give a witness, the Lord will send somebody into my path who needs that witness. It has happened over and over.

I know some folks are unsure of just what to say in witnessing and soul winning. If that's the case, just given them your salvation testimony.

And don't worry too much about saying something that will run them off. It's hard to run off somebody who's already off.

And it won't hurt to sort of know in advance what you'll say if you get the opportunity. Give it some thought. Practice with a fellow believer. You can even role-play.

And, most importantly, rely on the Holy Spirit to point you in the right direction.

7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :laugh:
    Robert secretly desires to be a calvinist..so he inserts it into every thread:laugh:
    Robert loves Gods grace....he just expresses it in an odd way:thumbs:
    Robert snow mentions calvinism more than JF posts about it:type:
    Robert is obsessed with calvinism

#7 Iconoclast, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2011
  8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Stilllearning,
    God uses means to reach people. Sometimes we are the means used to speak a word in season to those lost souls around us.
    Others have mentioned that we are to be ready always to give an answer to those who ask us of the hope that is in us.
    We sometimes fail in this. Sometimes we go looking to speak to someone,and it does not seem to go well...as far as we can see.
    Sometimes we think we failed ,and yet God will use that time despite our weakness of speech and presentation.
    Salvation is of the Lord. He will get His word to those he intends to save.
    We are responsible to study diligently and be faithful to the word.
    Are you doing this? I am not saying that to be rude....but let me say this...
    If you are not in daily prayer and study ,and fellowship with God through the Spirit......do you think God will use you much? or little?
    It can be humbling to feel like you missed an opportunity....but better to learn from it. All of us have failed several times in this.
    Paul refers to this struggle in Romans 7