1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When was the jailer regenerated (born-again)?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, May 28, 2011.

1. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

Your point is well taken...except I was offering an explanation for chap 6, not 10. The author is making a different argument in the two chapters.

2. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

The Jailer would be saved in the exact same way that anyone else is saved....

By placing his faith in Christ.

3. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

win:

It does not say they can hear God's word. But what Jesus does say, Jn 8:47

47He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

Jesus is saying one must be of God to hear God's word. You do not believe Him !

4. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

What scripture says that one is saved by placing their Faith in Christ ? I never seen that scripture.

5. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

convicted:

A Person must be of God to Hear God's words Jn 8:47

47He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

And people are not naturally born of God. That takes a New Birth, did you know that ? So your statement here is false.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.

7. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

That scripture does not say that one is saved by placing their Faith in Christ. It says, believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved. If one does that, then they were saved.

Here is a scripture that indicates that believing is an evidence of one already having everlasting life. Jn 3:36

36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

So Paul was directing one to believe, and if he did believe, paul said thou shalt be saved [in a saved state], not thou shalt get saved. There is nothing a man can do to get saved, did you know that ?

8. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Ephesians 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Romans 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Romans 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Romans 10:11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Romans 10:12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

9. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Not one of those scriptures says that one is saved by placing their Faith in Christ.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Perhaps better than you.
    For by grace are you saved through faith and not of yourselves.
    It is the gift of God not of works, lest any man should boast.

Just as a gift must be received; salvation must be believed or accepted by faith. Faith is not a work. It is confidence, trust. A one-year-old can put complete trust and confidence in his parents knowing that they will protect him. He will automatically reject the advances of a stranger, possibly scream because they are strangers, and cling to his mother or father. Why? The answer is in faith. And thus Jesus said, You must have faith as a little child. He meant the nature of faith. We must have the same nature of that faith of that small child. It isn't a work. Neither is it given by God.

The Philippian jailer had to put his faith in Christ in order to be saved/regenerated. Salvation is all of God, from the beginning to the end. It is the gift of God. But it must be received by faith. There is no other way to access that salvation but to receive it as a free gift by faith. That is God's way, the only way.

11. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

dhk:

Then why have you not been able to show a scripture that says one is saved by placing their faith in Christ ? Even Eph 2:8 does not say that.

12. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

dhk:

Yes it is, its a law Matt 23:

23Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Jesus said Faith is something they ought to have done ! The word done is the greek word poieo and means :

to do

a) to act rightly, do well

BTW, those of you who believe one is saved because of placing their Faith in Christ, you believe in salvation by works, by doing well, by acting rightly, by something you did !

13. Alive in Christ

Saved by Mercy...

I mentioned that the jailer was saved by placing his faith in Christ.

You then, incredibly, actually posted this...

[snip - please refrain from personal inflammatory remarks]. All I can surmise is that you are another victim of calvinism.

The extent of EXTREME confusion regarding the scriptures that you and several others on here seem to be in is nothing short of breathtaking.

Absolutlely sad beyond comprehension.

Stunning.

I keep thinking that my opinion regarding calvinism cant get any lower, but then you guys post, and down it goes even further.

Wow. Just wow.

#53 Alive in Christ, May 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2011
  14. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

alive:

Yes, thats what you said, I am not interested in what you said, but what scripture says that.

15. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    there everywhere,there everywhere! what now AIC? The only"extreme confusion" seems to be YOU,,,being bewildered when scriptures are offered.

you said....I was brainwashed.....yes my brain has been washed by the water of the word......looks like it has happened to several others!:thumbs:
    Come on in AIC,,,,the waters fine:wavey: put down the arminian kool aid, and lets do some bible study!

16. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

What many of the opponents fail to mention is that after paul gave that spiritual directive to the Jailer, it immediately states after that they spake unto them the word of the Lord, notice Acts 16:31-32

31And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

32And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.

Now the word of the Lord is that which can also be classified as the things of the Spirit of God. They spake unto him : the things of God" !

Now if thats true, which none should deny, then paul says that the Natural Man receiveth not the things of the spirit of God. 1 Cor 2:14

14But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Now, I submit, that if the Jailor was in a Natural state or condition, and not born of the Spirit, He could not and would not have received and embraced the The Things of the Spirit of God, which the Gospel is.

Now did Paul mean the Gospel when he made this statement ? Yes, because context demands it, for in vs 1-2 of the Chapter demands that:

1And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.

2For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

The Testimony of God , which is the Gospel, the preaching of Jesus Christ and Him crucified, its the Gospel.

So when one believes on the Lord it means they receive the Testimony of God as per 2 Thess 1:10

When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.

Also, paul states in 1 Cor 2:14 that the things of the Spirit of God are foolishness to the Natural Man.

Paul says the same thing about the Preaching of the Cross to those that perish, it is foolishness 1 Cor 1:18

18For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

The Natural Men are the ones perishing.

So in light of this another clear testimony from the word of God, we perceive, for the Jailor to have believed on the Lord by way of embracing the word of the Lord, which are Things of the Spirit of God, He could not have been in a Natural state, but Spiritual, that he could have discerned the things of God in them 1 Cor 2:14

Paul calls the Testimony of the Gospel to the Corinth Spiritual Things 1 Cor 9:11

If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things?

14But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

To deny this, is to reject clear scripture testimony !

17. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent post sbm; you've made several good posts on this thread. Keep up the good work, brother!

18. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And while you're at it, Brother SBM, review Baptist Board Posting Rule #1, (link at the bottom of the page):thumbs:

19. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

I do not see the link, but can you give it to me and I will read it. Thanks !

20. Alive in Christ

Saved by mercy...

There are 7 posting rules way at the bottom of the page. The link says "posting rules". You click on that link to get the rules.

#1 was the one someone suggested you read.

This is it...

You list yourself as attending a non-denominational church. I think that is what the other poster had in mind.