1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When Will Obama's Wave Crash?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Feb 20, 2008.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

Wow...and all this time, I've been disobeying God because I've not been fighting the scourge of abortion the way Aaron says to. Is God not big enough to use different people on different fronts, in different ways?

Remember, you heard it here: I am not doing it right, because my method of serving God is different from Aaron's. Funny, though....God hasn't gotten the memo yet that He's been leading me wrong.

Maybe there's room to fight abortion on more than one front.

And just maybe we we should get out of the business of condemning others when their service to God looks different that ours.

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesn't matter what I do or don't do. The issue is this is how it would be if we truly saw the unborn child in the same way we saw infants and toddlers.

#242 Aaron, Feb 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2008
  3. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

It's easy, but admirable, to champion the cause of the unborn child whose life is terminated in the womb. What about the innocent Iraqi civilian killed in the war that we are responsible for? What about the innocent man on death row? What about all those frozen embryoes that result when a couple tries In Vitro Fertilization as a solution for their inability to have a child? All of these are also examples of taking the life of someone. God is concerned about the sanctity of all life, not just the unborn.

4. JerryL

JerryL New Member

For the record, I agree with you. But, to claim that just because someone in my party say they are against abortion doesn't fly with me anymore. It way too easy for tham to say that then do nothing after they get our vote. There are a lot more issues than just the abortion issue when selecting a President. As I said on another post, I'm tired of the Republicans(my party) saying this just to appease the Christians.

5. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe Obama's Wave is Slowing Down?

Just a thought to ponder, but, Madame Clinton seems to have poked a few holes in Obama's balloon. Even though she still needs a miracle to pull out the nomination, do any of you think she can sway the Super Delegates to support her over the popular votes that Obama is winning with?

This would not seem fair, but the Super Delegates are similar to the Electoral College, and that is often not fair either.

Could someone please explain to me how and why this nation has allowed the Electoral College to put one candidate in office, when the other candidate has the popular vote? This has always seemed unfair to me, and I wonder why it has not been challenged and ended.

Pastor Paul :1_grouphug:

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

God's Word says they are anything but innocent.

7. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Neither are you. Should we execute you too?

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Um, because it is the US Constitution, you think just maybe?

Wonderful document, that is the basis for the United States of America! Ya' might wanna' read it sometime.

Regardless of what you or I may think about any particular "candidate", the Constitution provides us the right to vote by popular vote only for our Representatives in Congress, ever since the adoption of the Constuitution in 1788, and for our Senators since 1913.

I'm afraid there are a couple or four unspoken misconceptions you happen to hold regarding the office of the President, as well as the nation. The first is the idea that the United States is a 'democracy', somehow. Not so. Not now; not then; not ever intended to be. Our nation, as we know it, is a Constitutional, federal, representative republic, since June 21, 1788, effective 1789. (Prior to that from 1777, we were a 'Confederation' of states.)

The second is that we somehow elect a President of "America". Again, not so. He is the President of the United States of America. All 50 of them.

The third, which you did speak of (and here correctly, I would add) is that the "Electoral College" 'puts the President in office'. Exactly! Only the (currently 538) Electors have a vote for the President, according to the Constitution. (You and I are afforded no vote for President in any way, by the Constitution.) This number of 538 is equal to the number of Senators (100) and Representatives (435) of all the states plus 3 for the District of Columbia. And the number for any state is equal to the number of Senators and Representatives for that state. KY, my state has 8 votes, for example. CA has 55. Both these are consistent with the population of the two states, as of the 2000 Census. (I wonder if either includes illegal immigrants, here, but that is for another time.) All KY's 8 electors (and the 55 of CA) will be awarded to the person who receives the largest number of popular votes in the November election, and the same thing is true in DC, and every other state except for NE and ME, which award two Electoral votes statewide, and the remainder by Congressional District. (BTW, some in CA have proposed the so-named NE plan be adopted there, as well, recently, as well.) I'm fully in favor of that plan being an option to any state that so chooses, but not that it be mandated, as certain proposals have recently been put forth, FTR.

Every state has directed to have the 'popular vote' be the manner of choosing the electors, who then elect the President. And that is how your and my vote 'counts' for President.

Finally, let me say that there is not "an (1) election" that will occur on Nov.4, 2008, but "51 elections" in 50 states and DC.

End of class, Civics 101 for Mar. 8, 2008.

"Class, there will be a test!"

[Edited to add] FTR, and to clear up one misconception, Al Gore did not receive a majority of the popular vote over George Bush for President in 2000, despite the number of claims that that was the case, although he did receive about 540K more popular votes than did President Bush. Nader received over 2.8 M votes; Buchanan received almost 440K; and assorted "Others" received over 610K votes. Over 3.9M votes were cast for candidates other than President Bush and VP Gore, or more that 7 times the number of the difference between the two "major party" candidates.

'Professor' Ed

#248 EdSutton, Mar 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2008
  9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Aside from my previous post and the one of righteousdude2, somehow the last three pages of this thread bring to mind the old bumper sticker of 40 years ago I once saw, which read

Ed

#249 EdSutton, Mar 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2008
  10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    An excellent point. Vice President Gore won a plurality of the vote.

President Bush in 2004 was the first presidential candidate to receive a majority of the popular vote since his dad did so in 1988.

11. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great Lesson - Short, but Great

Thanks for the lesson in Civics. You did a great job in answering my question Ed. Still, I just think, that maybe, just maybe, we've outgrown the need for an Electoral College Vote to name the President. I do know that the ECV is a check and balance type thing to make sure the right person gets in office, but, to the masses that vote for the presidential candidate of their liking, the ECV seems unfair when their candidate gets the majority of the votes.

Again, your response was great, short and to the point, and easy to understand. Just don't send me a test on your lesson, I could still fail to pass it without the help of the Electoral College Votes being used to figure out my final grade. :laugh:

Blessings to you brother. I love the BB. It has a great group of folks that know things that can be used to help others who have genuine questions, Biblical or secular.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type: