1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When you pray...

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by trying2understand, Nov 22, 2003.

1. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

When you pray to God, do you pray to...

The Father only?

Jesus only?

The Holy Spirit only?

Some combination of the above?

Any or all Three Persons of the Godhead depending on the mood, need, purpose?

I ask because I have heard before from some that we are to pray to the Father only.

I pray to any and all of the Persons of the Trinity. Sometimes I don't even make the distinction. [​IMG]

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Trying2Understand, it depends on what my prayer is for. If it's a praise and thankful time, generally I pray to God our Father but if my heart is broken (like our nephew's war injury and death) I go to Jesus to hold me in His arms and give me peace. When overcome with grief, I approach the Holy Spirit to speak for me the words my heart is to heavy to speak.

Isn't God wonderful? He even supplied our needs during prayer time!

You didn't ask... but I ALWAYS end my prayers in Jesus name!

Diane

3. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Knowing that Jesus is our only Mediator [I Timothy 2:5] I always prayed to Jesus since I was a pre-teen. I have even prayed to God and asked Him to forgive me for the years of only praying to Jesus. Now I pray to the Triune Godhead; I hope He understands. I know He does.

Sometimes we pray and don't know how to word all the intents of our heart. Romans 8:26 explains to us that the Spirit expresses what we are trying to say to God. Thank God for that!

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

In acripture there is evidence of prayers directed to all three. Some are to Jesus. Some are to God and others to the Holy Spirit.

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jesus said "When you pray" pray this way --

And then the model - is to pray to the Father.

Notice - it also commands us to pray to God - in all our prayers that "His Kingdom" would come.

And we have no examples of "When you pray to the dead - pray in this way -- dear dead person -- please help me and if you do -- then I will recruit others to devotion to you".

So - the Bible model is very different to the kinds of prayers that we sometimes see today. And it seems to be to the Father - asking Him for the gift of the Holy Spirit.

In Christ,

Bob