1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When you see Jesus face to face, will you stop believing in Him?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, Oct 6, 2008.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This subject came up in another thread and really is not on that titles point so I thought it would make for a good debate of itself.

It is about faith and if faith ceases to exist once we go to heaven and see Jesus.

So I ask, When you see Jesus face to face, will you stop believing in Him?

:jesus:

2. mark1

mark1 New Member

I will "know" its Him. Will I stop "believing in Him, to do what?"

In this life we walk by "faith", in Heaven we will walk by sight.

Do you think there is a possibility that we might be kicked out of Heaven, or will you "know" you are delivered.

We believe in Him to deliver us from corruption unto the glorious liberties of the children of God. What will we have to believe in Him to do for us, after He has given it all to us.

Its as though you are saying it will be "needful" for us to believe in Him to still deliver us?

Do you think we will be on "shaky" ground still, or what?

Will we still "love" Him, sure

Will He be our Master and King, sure

Will we have a natural mind, where we will need "belief", no

I think you are trying to take nature to Heaven with us.

#2 mark1, Oct 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2008
  3. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'd be pretty stupid if I did stop believing in him at that pont.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

In this life we walk by faith, faith in Jesus whom we have not seen, in the next life we will walk by sight seeing Jesus face to face, faith will become sight, and this in no way means we stop believing in Jesus, it only means we won't have faith in something we do not see, but we will see what we've had faith in all this time, Jesus. Faith is believing without seeing, so in a sense, when we get to heaven that faith will not be needed, as we will see, if faith is believing without seeing, what do you call it when we do see? The word faith no longer applies. But to stop believing Jesus I think at that point is no longer an option, how can you not beleive in what your standing there looking at.

5. mark1

mark1 New Member

I agree with how Donna put it.

If I give a kid an ice cream and he is eating away. Then if I ask him if he believes I am going to give him the ice cream, I am sure he would say "yea, I believe".

The belief in Jesus Christ is what we are discussing which leads to eternal life. If we are in Heaven, I think it is evident that we believed, or we would not be there. I don't think that will ever be the question in Heaven, do you?

#5 mark1, Oct 6, 2008
  6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Let me ask you a question this way...when you see your father, do you have faith he is your father? No, you know he is your father. Faith is the substance of what is hoped for and not seen. Faith will give way to reality in Heaven, that is what glorification entails.

7. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Wrong. (I'm being mischievious here)

As for this thread: What?

8. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Let me ask you a question. Do you know God is your Father? If "yes", then why do you still say you believe God is your Father?

Why did Jesus say to Thomas....

Jhn 20:29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed [are] they that have not seen, and [yet] have believed.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

I love the way you put that, I may have to keep it, if you don't mind.

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Eternal life begins at regeneration. There is no "leading to eternal life". There is a leading to glorification. But the subject is believing in Jesus Christ and if this stops after we actually see Him. The disciples seen Him and they still believed.

11. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You sound unsure and that's ok. This is why I started the thread, i would like it nailed down if possible.

Understand that "faith" and "believe" is one in the same thing.

:jesus:

12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Did not Adam see God, walk with God, was made perfect by God. And yet Adam was required to believe God. Trust in God, trust His word.

13. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Excellent point! :thumbs:

I see many things that I believe in.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

One cannot equate faith and belief as exactly the same.
    We have faith in those things that we see not. Faith is more like confidence.
    I have confidence that when I put my key into my ignition and turn it that my car will start it. Not until my car starts is my faith (confidence) realized. My faith is no longer needed once my car is started.
    I have faith in the word of the taxi driver that he takes me where I request him to go. I have faith in his word. My faith is only realized once I arrive at the destination that I have given him. After all he could have taken me somewhere else and killed me for some unknown reason. But I was confident (had faith) in the word of the taxi driver that no such thing would happen. Once I arrived at my destination, what more need was there of faith. Why would I still have faith that he would be taking me to my destination when he already has and has now gone somewhere else. This doesn't make sense. Faith is not present any longer. Belief is. I believed. I do believe that I am here. I will continue to believe. I will always believe.

I have faith that Christ saves. Once Christ saves, I no longer need the faith that Christ saved me.
    I have faith that Christ will fulfill his promises, both now and his promise to come again. When he comes again, that faith is no longer needed. It will be fully realized. Faith will no longer be needed; but we all will still believe. We will believe because there will never be a point when we stop learning, even at the feet of Jesus. But that has nothing to do with faith.

15. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are coming around brother :thumbs:

Give me your argument of why "piseuo" is so different from "pistis". That one will cease and the other is eternal.

16. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This analogy will not work with the scriptures for the scriptures declare we are certain of God's word and this is testified by the Spirit indwelling in us. In your examples there are the factors of "not knowing". With Christians, we "know" our present state and we "know" what the outcome will be.

In the brand of faith you suggest in the senarios above there is no certainty. Christians have a faith that is certain and based on unchangeable knowledge. Thus faith and knowledge go hand in hand in God's word. We do not have the kind of faith in Christ as you suggest we would have in a taxi cab driver.

17. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since faith is "...the evidence of things UNseen," it will no longer take faith to believe in him, but we will believe in him by evidence of things now seen.

18. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you not also "know" that Christ saves? Do you "know" Christ will fulfill his promises?

The taxi cab driver sort of faith is a "hope so" faith. Biblical faith in Christ is a "know so" faith. You believe in Christ even though you do not see Christ. When you see Christ you will believe in Christ even more so because now what you have known without sight has become even more real. Sight does not end faith, it can only strenghthen faith.

#18 steaver, Oct 6, 2008
  19. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Faith is the evidence of things unseen. True, God's word says so. How does this equate to "faith ends at sight"?

This scripture does not define faith, it states that faith is the "evidence" of the unseen. It does not state that faith is not seeing. Thomas seen and believed.

Look up the word "believed" (pisteuo, Gk) in your concordance and you will find this...

"to have faith" ( in, upon, or with respect to, a person or thing)

Jhn 20:29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed [are] they that have not seen, and [yet] have believed.

20. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alright, if we do see him, then does that destroy any blessedness we have for believing and not seeing? Maybe that's what the OP meant?