1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When you see Jesus face to face, will you stop believing in Him?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, Oct 6, 2008.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I used Smith's "Greek-English Concordance", a very helpful book, and more insightful than Strong's Concordance. It gives every Greek word, and the way that it is used in every verse in the NT.
    The simple difference may be that one is a noun and one is a verb. Nonetheless they are translated differently.
    In this passage the "grace" refers to the work of grace done by Christ on the cross. Salvation is all by grace. It is Christ alone that saves. The work of salvation is provided by him alone. There is no other way. He paid the full penalty for our sins.
    If we want to be saved, we need to accept what Christ did on the cross "through faith," and not by works. There is nothing we can do to earn it. It is to be taken by faith as a gift. The gift of God is eternal life.

This refers to salvation, which is a one time event. I am able to calculate (if I so desire) the number of years, months, and days that I have been saved. And it was a long time ago. It was that day I put my faith in Christ and was saved.
    Christ will keep my salvation until "that" day, the day of his coming. Faith will not be needed when we see him.

2. billwald

billwald New Member

"Believing in" is a gnostic Protestant Christian phrase that only insiders can understand.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Your posts make me want to ask you......who do you say Jesus is?

4. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is the first time in my ten years of study that i ever heard someone say that Strong's concordance is wrong. We have many threads come up on bible translations but never one on concordance translations. If I can't trust my Strong's concordance then i need to forget everything I have learned and start over, begining by first debating what concordance I can trust. Maybe I will start a thread on it and see what i have been decieved about concerning word definitions. :tear: I hate to start all over again.

"through faith" then by your understanding is not a continual faith, but a one time act of faith calling on Jesus Christ?

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Strong's is not wrong. It is just simplistic. There are different kinds of Concordances. For example compared to Thayer's I would liken Strong's to a pocket book edition of Oxford's dictionary, whereas Thayer's is the full volume. (BTW, you can download Thayer's from e-sword). To settle any dispute let me quote Dr. Bob from another thread on the exact same subject:

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1301224&postcount=2

There is a one time act of faith in order to be saved. One would call that saving faith.
    But after salvation we continue to exercise faith in our Lord. We trust him every day. Faith is not uncommon. Everyone, including unbelievers exercises faith. I trust my wife, my son, the bus driver, my neighbor, etc. I have faith in these people. But in time they will fail me. Jesus never fails.