1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where Are All the Young Leaders in the SBC?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, May 5, 2008.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am not a big blogger, partly because I am scared to see what the next new law is that others may be trying be pass and partly because it is overwhelming. The reason I am writing you is to encourage you, I hope.

I am a young missionary on the the field with the IMB and I am staying here because I feel that there is hope for the SBC and missions. Unfortunately, many of my young colleagues are resigning by the droves and it is not because of what is usually toted in the States "the mission field is tough and some can't cut it". Rather they are "choked out". They can't take take the politics, laws on top of laws, hypocrisy, and the "BIG COMPANY" mentality anymore. The room for diversity in the IMB and SBC is very narrow and is becoming even narrower. That is so sad to me.

The rest of the story is at http://kerussocharis.blogspot.com/

2. Allan

Allan Active Member

What does the above have to do with "where are the young leaders", especially regarding the article itself?

Secondly, since I know many SBC missionaries and many that are in school for training. I know for a fact this person is incorrect in their assumption. People are not leaving nor resigning "by the droves". That is a false statement whether intentional or not. In any case I agree (as does the majority of SBC'ers) with SBC and IMB in their last decision regarding missionaries. I think it needs a little more clrarifying and a little more tightening (in some areas (but not to much). Those who go out into the mission field under the pretense of starting a baptistic church or more specifically an SBC congregation that is supposed to be in line with BF&M and also recieves 'full' support from the SBC, they should keep it.

Dr. Jerry Rankin (EDITTED IN - Still current IMB President) was just here a month ago in South Dakota for a State Pastor's Conference and stated that we are sending out more missionaries that ever before and then made a point to say that our missionaries (SBC) don't just up and leave their ministries like others might. They have a call of God on their lives and these people stick with it. Since he stays close to the IMB and works hand in hand with them, I find it strange that he doesn't share this persons opinion. However it could be because it isn't a true statement 'on the whole'.

#2 Allan, May 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2008
  3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Did he retire?

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This type of post is quite normal for Wade Burleson. And he certainly draws these kinds of folks who comment on his blog regularly. He has done more to create disunity than most folks.

5. Allan

Allan Active Member

No, the presidents for the IMB are elected every couple of years (it might be yearly but I can't remember off hand). He is still heavily involved in the IMB and training Foreign Church planters.

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

Yes, very true.

I agree with him there are issue that need to be addressed, I just think most of his issues are over played and over-exagerated.

But everyone is free to have their opinions even him

#6 Allan, May 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2008
  7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Jerry Rankin has been the president of the IMB for years, not just a year or two.

8. Allan

Allan Active Member

Yes, a person can be re-elected numerous times. I didn't say 'he' was only president for a year or two, I said he is a 'former' IMB President.

9. Allan

Allan Active Member

Actually I'm incorrect, he is not the 'former' anything he still is :laugh:

I have the pamplet of confrence right here, and it states 'former'.

So there ya go, his answer isn't just bound up in being heavily active with the IMB but is in fact still the president. I just looked at an article from Aprile 11, 2008 stating they just sent out 92 more missionaries

10. Allan

Allan Active Member

Thank you Saggy for making me double check that :thumbsup:

11. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

You woke me up. Hahahaha.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Rankin has been under a lot of fire in recent years too. Many of those things in the posting I have heard personally from SBC missionaries. I do not know about the numbers of people leaving though. I do know that there are some who have left though.

Just think about the example of some of the SBCs leaders today. Paige Patterson could not live with the existing home but had to have an addition to make the home 7500 square feet so he and his wife could live comfortably. All of the previous presidents lived there without any complaints. Patterson had to have a place to store his books and mounted animal heads. Doesn't it make you feel good to stand at the pulpit and ask for people to give to SWBTS?

Ever notice how none of the big shots are in the north like places where you are? If they were they would be a big flop.

When I was planting churches an older pastor who had planted some churches in the same area basically told me to not waste my time listening to those gurus. I found him to be correct.

13. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Field personnel under appointment (4/09/08) 5,318

Career/associates/apprentices 4,249

2-yr. ISC/Journeymen/Masters 1,079

Field personnel appointed 2007 844

Career/associates/apprentices 339

Empowered by the support of the Cooperative Program, founded in 1925, and an enlarged worldview, Southern Baptists answered the call, reaching 1,000 missionaries in 1955. Under the 25-year leadership of Baker James Cauthen, global expansion continued, reaching 3,000-plus missionaries in 94 countries by 1980. [From the IMB web site.]
    http://www.imb.org/main/page.asp?StoryID=4452&LanguageID=1709

So far I have not found a web site that gives a year-by-year accounting of how many missionaries were appointed and how many left the field.

14. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

So are you (gb93433) the "young missionary on the the field with the IMB"? I made the mistake on another thread of attributing to the BB poster words that in fact were quoted, even though, as here, there was nothing to show this. The link you gave didn't help, because it attributed the words to "An Unidentified Southern Baptist Missionary".

15. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Hey gb,

Why do you keep spreading this falsehood after it has been explained to you several times? Anyway, one more time in case you missed it the last how many ever times...

While the Pattersons were at SEBTS the President's home had an addition built on the back side of the house. Magnolia Hill was (and is) a two story house. Before the addition there were no bedrooms on the first floor. A donor gave a gift to SEBTS to pay for the addition. Why was the addition needed? Mrs. Patterson has arthritis which makes it very difficult for her to walk up and down stairs. The donor knowing her medical condition took it upon himself to provide for her need. They built an apartment (all on one floor) for the Pattersons. This did include a library. While here at SEBTS Dr. Patterson kept most of his trophy animals in his office in Stealey Hall not at Magnolia Hill. There were a couple at the President's house, but not enough to require additional space. The single floor living space/apartment was primarily to help with Mrs. Patterson's medical condition.

When the Patterson's were here at SEBTS they considered Mongolia Hill to be as much a part of the campus as any other building on campus. The house was always in use for some event or other. They hosted nearly all out of town guest Chapel speakers to lunch there following Chapel two to three days per week. Mrs. Patterson taught the Women's Ministry Certificate classes right there in the house. Dr. Patterson made his personal library available to PhD and DMin students who needed to do research in books that the SEBTS library did not have (but that he personally had).

Now, I am not at SWBTS. However, I know that Mrs. Patterson has not been cured for her medical problems and that she still has great difficulty climbing stairs etc. So the primary need for single floor living space is still a very real concern. Likewise, I can't foresee any reason why they would not use their home at SWBTS in the same way they did while here at SEBTS. Therefore, if you are going to keep painting the picture that you outlined above please include all the information and not just part of the facts that can be manipulated to cast the Pattersons in a bad light.

#15 Bible-boy, May 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2008
  16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Compare what you wrote to what the Bible teaches. The compare that to what will last for eternity.

While you may feel that your accusation is justified your appeal lacks a lot of wisdom when it comes to a solution to the problem. How does the issues of that homes compare to what will last for eternity. How does it compare to what we are to invest our lives in (not that which moth and rust will destroy)?

That house will rot and it has already had problems. In a few years it will be gone.

I have been in the building business for close to 35 years. Most of my time was spent building for the wealthy. Never once have I ever added so much onto a home to accomodate someone who had severe mobility problems. There are many ways that could have been done. An elevator could have been added or a device for a wheelchair on the stairs.

Now compare your words to what TC Jester, Charles Spurgeon, John Wesley, and George Mueller did with the money given to them.

How much of that home will last for eternity? How much of the money spent will last for eternity and further the kingdom of God. How much of the use of that money supports what is taught in SBC churches concerning giving and the kingdom of God?

A few weeks ago I spoke with a man from Ethiopia who told me that he made $1200/year and he did well. Another I spoke with from Zimbabwe told me that he would have never been able to purchase a plane ticket to come to the US to study if it were not for donors.

I believe that as leaders we must live simply so that others can simply live. We cannot have much of an impact if we do not live a humble life both in what we say and do. We must deny ourselves so that we can impact others with the gospel. I am quite confident that not one building exists today that existed during Jesus' ministry yet His impact still lives on.

Mt. 6:20-24, "But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. "The eye is the lamp of the body; so then if your eye is clear, your whole body will be full of light. "But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light that is in you is darkness, how great is the darkness! "No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.

Can you give on solid explanation with support from scripture that would support a 7500 square foot house?

17. North Carolina Tentmaker

Wow, where to begin.

Yet you give us a link to a blog. Is this your blog?
    You find your remarks and link encouraging?
    Yet on the next page you said
    Just how old are you and how do you define 'young missionary on the field?' You have 35 years of work experience, if you started at say 18 that would make you 53 years old. I know age is relative but when did 53 become young? Your profile says your address is 'USA.' Are you on the field here in the states. Your statement describing yourself as
    led me to think you were a foreign missionary on the field. Was I mistaken?

What do any of your comments have to do with young leadership in the SBC? What does the size of the Patterson's home have to do with missions? Why should I believe anything you say given the credibility problems listed above?

18. Allan

Allan Active Member

It is a link to Wade Burelsons (spelling ?)website and the opening OP is a quote from a 'supposed' missionary that sent him an e-mail. I say supposed because it is unsigned and therefore impossible to validate. It could be something made up and it might not be since it is left up in the air. There is also the aspect that most of what the writter states is unsubstantiated speculation and more opinion than actual fact. As I stated earlier, the President of IMB just a couple of months ago up here stated specifically to the contrary in praise to our missionaries and in April they just sent out another 92 out. However, I to wondered about what the title means from Wades site in conjunction with letter. It made no sense IMO, because the phrase was used in the letter but with (again) no valid truth to it just a vague question.

I try to give the benifit of the doubt but then I read such non-substantiated claims as though they are truth and watch people run with it, I can only shake my head in disbelief. But then again gb is no longer SBC and apparently disgruntled so he puts this stuff up at various times on the BB. Then when people question it's veracity of such claims made, they throw up old stuff already dealt with to try give some semblence of credence or valadation to the vague and unsubstantiated claims. It's nothing new, I just wish they'd get some new material. The old stuff is so played out through either being disproven or worked out already but I guess it still is good for misleading.

#18 Allan, May 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2008
  19. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would say that a lot of people who might consider God's Call to Missions might have second thoughts about serving under the auspices of the IMB of the SBC.

After all we have a double standard at the IMB. The President has a prayer language (read Speaks in Tongues) and missionary candidates are disqualified if they have a prayer language.

So we find ourselves in the untenable position of being hypocrites over this issue which just might lead thinking people to question what else is askew in IMB land.

20. Allan

Allan Active Member

Yes, it is true that Jerry Rankin admits to having a 'private' prayer language. Though I disagree with the spiritual gift defintion those who advocate use, I would point this out from an article in the abpnews:
    Also the new policy specifies it is not retroactive.
    He also states in the same article from the abpnews:
    (in both quotes the bolding and underlining is mine for emphasis)

So technically he does not need to be removed first because he is not a missionary anymore and secondly the new policy is not retroactive. Though I don't agree with the practice of 'private' prayer languages, nothing about him currently disqualifies him from his current position.