1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where Are All the Young Leaders in the SBC?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, May 5, 2008.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think Josh McDowell's book The Last Christian Generation sums up pretty well the lack of christian leadership in general, particularly in Bible based denominations.

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

Now that sounds interesting.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The point is that too many denominational leaders have very little fruit that last for eternity but rather have the excuse of defending the denomination. Defending and keeping a denomination is much like defending Jesus the wayt that Peter did--useless.

Several denominations need to completely die. They are useless and unproductive. The church will go on while denominations die. God's work is not conatined by denominational leaders drawing huge salaries and living lavish lifestyles whiule promoting denominational preservation. God's work is being done by the humble servant of Jesus Christ. We do not need pickled denominations.

4. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

You raise some good biblical points here. However, it was not clear in your other post (to which I replied) that these were the concerns you were raising. Instead, you painted a picture in which the Pattersons built a 7,500 sq. ft. addition solely for the purpose of having a place to keep trophy animals and books, which simply is not true.

Okay. The same can be said of nearly every building ever built. Are you suggesting that as Christians we ought never build a building?

Correct. However, in the case at SEBTS the donor gave the funding specifically for the purpose of building single floor one bedroom living space, a large conference room that doubled as a classroom for the Women’s Ministry Certificate Program, a library area, and two small offices.

The money was not given directly to the Pattersons for their use in ministry. The donor gave the money to SEBTS for a specific building purpose. The Trustees of SEBTS approved the building addition and the design by which it would be carried out. So this specific case and the examples you cite don’t really have a one to one correlation.

Not a bit of it. Likewise, how much of your home (or mine), or the church building where you pastor will last for eternity?

That’s a good question. It is difficult to say how many seminary students will (and have) passed through the doors of the Patterson’s home that will (and have) benefited, learned, and went on to have great ministries to further the Kingdom of God. How many pastor’s wives will sit (and have sat) under the teaching of Mrs. Patterson, in her home, and will (and have) used what they learned there to lead someone to Christ, or to disciple a new believer? How many PhD or DMin students benefited from the use of a rare book from Dr. Patterson’s personal library and then went on to apply that knowledge to teach/disciple others who in turn led others to Christ? You are acting as if there is no possible Kingdom use or benefit that can come through the Pattersons due to such a building project.

I’m not sure what you are driving at here. All SBC Churches are local autonomous bodies of believers. I sure the pastors at various churches preach various things about giving. Do all SBC churches give to the Cooperative Program? Yes. Were Cooperative Program funds used to build the addition onto the Presidents house? No, at SEBTS it was completely funded by the gift of a donor specifically for that purpose).

Yes, the Bible teaches us that the poor will always be with us. It is right and biblical for us to care for them and help them. I agree with your belief in living a humble and simple life. However, I don’t think the Bible expressly forbids a believer from being wealthy. Also, you are acting as if the President’s home (either at SEBTS or SWBTS) belongs to him personally. It does not. Those houses belong to the seminary and are subject to the direction of the Trustees of the institutions.

Great passage of Scripture. How exactly does it apply to the home of the President at SEBTS or SWBTS (homes that do not belong to the current residents and are passed on for use by future Presidents). Are you suggesting that the Pattersons have not and do not store up treasures in heaven?

As far as I know the Bible does not specifically address the issue of how many sq. ft. one should or should not have in one’s home. So this would be an argument from silence. Can you give a solid explanation with support from the Scripture that would condemn living in a borrowed 7,500 sq. ft. home?

#44 Bible-boy, May 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2008
  5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no reason any denomination needs to die. I have news for you. Denominational leaders do not draw huge slaries.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When OS Hawkins went from pastoring FBC Dallas to the annuity board he received a pay increse of about 40K.

Read Rev. 2&3 and you will see some very good reasons why denominations and churches will die.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you think Rev 2,3 is speaking to denominations? And why is OS Hawkins salaryt a problem?

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

I don't know about anyone else, but in our church, if you designate money it has to go to the designated area. Sometimes someone will designate money for mission trips, or vbs, and once someone designated money for something(forgot what) at the parsonage. The pastor doesn't own the parsonage, nothing done to improve or even expand it belongs to him. Same with this expansion on the presidents house, the house isn't his, and the money was designated for a purpose. And it seems it is used for ministry.
    I think theres agood bit jealously going on, maybe someone isn't paid enough, or their house is tiny, or something.

9. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

There is quite a good reason for the home of any university or seminary president to be rather large. It is that there is a public use as well as a private use. President's are expected to entertain, and often this means receptions and sit-down dinners involving large numbers.

Such meals are also excellent training grounds for students to learn social graces, table manners and the like. I doubt if any of you would be surprised that today's young college men and women do not arrive there having been schooled in such things. Social events are designed to do just that.

This is not just something presidents want to to. It is something they are expected to do.

It also provides personal access to a president and an opportunity for the president to get to know his students. I am amazed at the number of students at the university where I serve as trustee chairman that the president knows by name.

Such criticisms I've been reading here remind me of one deacon who prayed for his pastor this way: "Lord, you keep him humble and we'll keep him poor."

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The wise man ponders first about his decision. When one considers the many generations who have gone before us it is easy to see where man has gone on the basis of his decisions. When I consider the fact that Spurgeon was given large sums of money and he gave it away. Then I take a look at his ministry I can gain some wisdom from that. I see how God gave him what he had and he chose to give it away to help others to the glory of God. When I take a look at George Mueller who started an orphanage on the basis of faith and housed over 1000 kids. When I take a look at men God has used mightily I see men who have chosen to remain humble and live below what they can. When I take a look back just a few years and see when the SBC had its greatest growth and who the leaders were I see men and women who gave everything for Christ. when I take a look at Billy Graham and see how he has chosen to live I see him as an example of how I should be. I see a man who has chosen to live low and be accountable so his reputation is not called into question. The greatest thing a man has is his walk with God and next his character. If a man can be brought down be a deficient character then he has a poor witness. Years ago when I was the manager of a large business I terminated an employee. That employee filed a complaint with the state agency. The state came and interviewed every employee who was under me at the time. When The man talked to me last he told me some things I will never forget. It made me to make sure that I never waiver from what I have set out to do. I never want anyone to question my integrity. If we expect to lead people we must put them first.

In 1996 a man that I know sold one of his businesses for $630 million and he lives in a house that is under 3000 square feet.In 2004 I built a home for a gentleman that makes about $40 million a year and that house was 5500 square feet.

I know nothing about SEBTS. I do know that Paterson has mentioned to people that the seminary is in need of money and tuition has gone up.

That is exactly why we must be wise in out choices. When one looks around in the community how many houses are 7500 square feet. When I visted George Bush's home in Houston it was not near that size.

We can justify most anything if we want. If we are to follow Christ then we should be looking to him as our example. When I read about what scripture teaches in regards to buildings I see no evidence that is always a good thing. While I was in seminary I had an interesting discussion with one of the SBC leader's sons. His son mentioend that he did not believe you could grow a large church without borrowing money. His dad lived out that principle and left a church a few years ago due to impropriety with money.

I know many wealthy people who make enough to easily buy that entire seminary and not one of them lives in a house that large. some of them give large amounts of money way. Some of them support missionaries entirely.

In 2002 I built a nice large home for a Christian couple who had bought a nice chunk of ground on a hill. When they contacted me I asked them some questions and encouraged them not to build. They wanted to have a ministry among people with their home. I told them to sell their land and move to where the people were. They insisted and I buolt them a nice home. The could easily affored what they wanted. I would love to tell you that they had a great ministry but quite the opposite happened. They are no longer together. The house was sold and they are divorced.

I am sugesting that the money could have been put to much better use.

The Bible does teach a lot about using wisdom.

Wealth can be great in the hands of a wise person but the downfall of another.

If one carefully considers the ministry Jesus had and compares that to Solomon there are some distinct differences.

For one to lead well he must be viewed as an example among those he attempts to lead. Ask the students and faculty at the seminary if Patterson's way of life is an example to them. The big fact is that the majority of people come to know Christ in their younger years. They are led to Christ by a friend who is their same age. If one considers that, then big houses are not necessary. At SWBTS there are some very large rooms on campus that are used for entertainment purposes. Most of the time they are empty.

When one considers how little professors make at SWBTS it is quite a contrast to see how they live and how their boss lives. I find it very difficult to find anywhere in the Bible where Jesus taught or lived out that kind of example.

My Bible teaches that one who is first must be last. I see in no case where how the president lives teaches young students hoping to be pastors to live a humble life of service to God. I do not see that their big house serves any purpose to help young pastors have hope on the field. I see no evidence that a large house like that serves those who come from countries who can afford very little and see American Christians living like kings. While in seminary I asked a young man from another country how people in his country saw those from the SBC. His response was that they saw them as living like kings. A young man I met in seminary had a desire to be able to have enough money to be able to buy some bicycles for pastors so they could ride a bicycle instead of walking to each otheir churches. Then he sees to contasting home across campus while the president ask the people in the SBC for money money because he contends they need more money for more buildings. While the students will tell you that tuition is on the incresase.

If wealth had the most impact then Benny Hinn would have a much greater impact than Billy Graham and much more than Jesus did.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Now compare what you just wrote to what Jesus taught and did. Just because the world teaches that image is important does not mean God honors that. In fact the Bible teaches humility as the greatest not image.

That is the same saying that has gone on around among the professors at SWBTS. Apparently you do not know how little of a salary a beginning professor makes at SWBTS. You would be ashamed to tell that to any non-Christian.

I teach at a secular university and the campus does not have a chancellor's home. The chancellor is a former state senator. He lives a few miles away from campus. When groups of people come one of the large meeting rooms at the university is used for that purpose. I have been a student at three universities and only one of them even had a president's home. For some strange reason the former presidents of SWBTS and their families had plenty of room and did not request an addition. In fact the time during Dr. Dilday saw the greatest number of students.

When one considers the ministry of Jesus I see no evidence of architectural discipleship.

12. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Is that true no matter what? Many baptist churches in the UK belong to the Baptist Union of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Back in 1971, Michael Taylor, Principal of the Northern Baptist College, made a speech at the Baptist Union Assembly in which he stated, "I believe that God was active in Jesus, but it will not do to say quite categorically; Jesus is God. Jesus is unique, but his uniqueness does not make him different from us." What happened? The following year, the Baptist Union re-affirmed its statement of faith that "Jesus Christ is God manifest in the flesh" while also encouraging Michael Taylor, and any like him, to continue to hold office and promote unitarianism within the denomination.

Could you remain associated with any denomination that denied one or more of the basic truths of Christianity, such as the deity of Christ, His uniqueness as the only Saviour, and such like? (I am not suggesting that SBC leaders are denying such things, just wondering if you would still "not care about the leadership" if they did.)

13. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

How much would you say the Presidents of our SBC Agencies make?

< $100,000
    > $100,000 but <$200,000
    >$200,000

$200,000 is a lot of Salary in most SBC Churches.

14. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

What would be an acceptable size president's home for you? How small should the house be for the president to exhibit humility? No trick questions here, just a desire to know your mind on this issue.

Are we talking 1200 square feet? What's your limit?

15. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I think we should double the faculty salaries immediately. Wait a minute. Would that mean they wouldn't be humble any more?

Sorry for the sarcasm, but when we reduce humility as the equivalent of being poor, we can't have a productive discussion.

Dr. Patterson doesn't require my defense. But your dislike of the size of his house is leading to some ludicrous conclusions. For instance, Dr. Patterson lives in a house that is too large. Ergo, he is not humble. Or, Dr. Patterson is not a humble man, Therefore, he needs to live in a smaller house.

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It was an absolute waste of money to add onto such a home. Considering the community and who the president serves it detracts from those he serves. Suppose whoever donated the money for that were asked to donate the money to pastors who were in need.

There are students there who could have not ever afforded a plane ticket to come to the U.S. to study. There are faculty who make less than a starting high school teacher. There are faculty who retire from teaching at SWBTS who made less than a starting professor at a secular university. Shortly after that addition was made Patetrson announced the need for more money at SWBTS.

The main issue is not the size of the home but what it represents and if it enhances ministry among those the president serves. He primarily serves students and faculty at SWBTS. How does that home serve to meet that purpose. There are many large rooms at SWBTS which will accomodate more people than that home.

Over the years as I have travelled around I have heard a comment about one particular theological school. The former students commented about how they enjoyed eating lunch with their professors. The professors ate in the same areas as the students. When I was a student at SWBTS I can remember when Dr. Dilday would walk around the campus and among the housing units to talk with students. One of my friends had a wife who was seriously sick and a few times Dr. Dilday came to vist his family. Never once did I ever hear about how grateful they were for a nice president's home but rather they spoke of the man and his character.

Reaching people is not about having a showpiece of architecture but about reaching people where they are. It means going to them first.

Americans (Christians included) are spending more and more on extravagance and less and less on ministry while calling them needs. When I take a look around and look at people who are investing their lives in the lives of others I do not see extravagance but rather self denial and choosing to live a lower standard of living. As they are entrusted with more they give more.

Several years ago I managed a large business. The company gave me one year to turn it around. For five years it had been losing money. The first thing I did was to give the workers every reason to trust me. I did not withhold the financial position of the company from them. I always had frank honest discussions with them. Within two weeks we began to break even. In the first year we became the fastest growing branch in the company. We went from second from the bottom to third from the top. We had increased sales 3.2 times in one year. Within a short time my boss told me that I would be getting a big pay raise. I told him to give it to the workers first. It wasn't long and a worker talked with me and asumed I got a big pay raise. When I told him what actually happened he had nothing further to say. The attitude and prduction had radically changed with the same people. I did not hire any new people. A few years later the company was sold and the company who bought them were what we called greedeaters. 23 of the top 24 people left or were fired. Production went down. Eventually the company was sold. Today many of the same people who left then, are back working for the new company who were there when I was.

God blesses self denial, sacrifice, and humility. Just because we are offered something does not mean we need to accept it. A few years ago a pastor had started a new church about 30 miles from where I lived. That church accepted some money from a person who was not a member and not a Christian. That man came around to bite them later. That church does not exist today.

#56 gb93433, May 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2008
  17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is the rub. I doubt very seriously any of your complaints are genuine. Aside for the silliness of them all here we see you constant complaining of Dr. Patterson and then we see your praise of Dilday.

Hmm...I wonder what the real difference is. Could it be that Dilday is pretty liberal, denies inerrancy, and suits your agenda. I am quite sure it is.

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then I suppose SBC leader needs defining. What you are talking about is a seminary leader. Those in the convention receive very little compensation as convention President, vice president etc.

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

I'm sorry, but I have difficulty believeing the square footage of a house tells how humble a person is. If that were true I may be among the most humble here at 800 square feet.

If someone gave money specifically for the additions to this presidents house, then it would be decietful, irresponsible, just plain wrong to use it for something else, not mention it may be illegal.

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you believe that Christ's ministry on earth was also about social reform then this is the nonsensical junk you get.