1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where are the D.L Moody(s) of the World?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, May 6, 2006.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When it comes to the discussion of God's Ten Commandments spoken personnally by Him - those who join in honoring them seem to be the ones that support Christ the Creator's own selected memorial of Creation - His Own Holy Sabbath.

Those who oppose God's Ten Commandments "tend" to be those who reject Christ's Holy Day created as a memorial of HIS own creative act in making this world and all life on it.

Check the threads and show me the exceptions to this rule - if you can find one/two?

But in this example from D.L. Moody we see one who keeps Sunday ALSO choosing to promote and Honor God's spoken AND written Ten Commandments.

(See the next post for a quote of D.L. Moody)

So is D.L.Moody alone on this "now". Where have all the D.L.Moodys gone?

Are there any on this board that hold that view while keeping Sunday?

In Christ,

Bob

2. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    BTW - not to be presumptuous - but might "Brother Bob" be one of the D.L.Moody's still around today?

4. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Well I dont know, Bob.

I'm trying to mentally put myself in someone else's shoes. If I admit that the tem commandments are still binding today, how would I be able to justify changing one of them?

Its easier saying you dont have to keep them.

Although it seems too that those who say we no longer keep the commandments also seem to say that they keep the sunday sabbath because of the resurrection.

I try to think how it must be if you have gone all your life in one denomination that promotes the keeping of sunday sabbath and then to be confronted with the idea that its not really the sabbath day after all.

What would I do?

I dont think lots of people understand the importance of the sabbath day and why it matters that you keep it. It seems like lots of people think you must keep the 10 commandments but that the sabbath doesnt matter. Not sure why they single out that particular commandment. I guess its because they can see the perpetual thing when it comes to not killing someone or stealing or worshipping idols.

I wonder if D.L. Moody ever said anything on the topic of the 7th day sabbath and why he kept sunday sabbath instead?

Claudia

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    According to the "Sabbath Poll" thread there are 5 of these D.L Moody guys around!

That is good news!

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

BobRyan;
    I suppose I am as close to Moody belief as I can get. I am not solid on which day though as long as you have one each week that you hold for worship of God for different time zones, lost day, etc. But I certainly believe that it was the Table of the Ten Commandments that were carried across Jordan in the Ark of the Covenant on dry land by the preists with the seven preists sounding the horns and the 12 stones brought from the mist of Jordan to be place where their children could see them and know their fathers had passed this way. I believe Jesus quoted six as far as what is written but I believe he quoted them all for to offend in one point you are guilty of all. I think the reason Christian are free from them is because they don't break them and if they break them they were never a Christian to begin with. If that is what Moody believed then so do I. I do hold Sunday personally but for others who can't because of feeding their families, etc. I see no problem with another day of the week. I have wondered all my Christian if we have the exact day for sure, I figure if we were out of line surely God would somehow through time let us know. [​IMG] Your thought?

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Strange that He had never heard a sermon on the Commandments. When I was first a Christian the doctrine I continued to hear was that the law was fullfilled and therefore the Commandments were fullfilled. As I studied I began to see that this was not correct but that there were different laws and the brethren were mixing them. The first sermon I did on the Law was a complete disaster for those I was preaching to around me was all the old brethren which did not believe as I did and I saw it on their faces so I fell on mine. I continued to study until I was able to preach it as a picture so as to teach my brethren and in a way they could not deny it. Slowly they began to come to the belief I held, not all but most. We still have many who do not preach as I do but I can talk to them and they will admit even though they do not want to call them The Law of the Ten Commandments but taken one by one they will admit you cannot commit those acts. I ask them "which one can you break and go to Heaven" and they then agree but call it the Law of Christ which I feel they did belong to Christ for it was His Gospel He preached and He preached the Ten Commandments. So if Jesus preached them then so should we.
    (let me say this; The Law of the Ten Commandments is the deepest subject in the Bible and you will not learn it in a day but takes a long time to be able to defend it.)

BBob

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God had to know what day it was in Gen 1-2:3 as He "made the 7 days of the week" - blessend and sanctified the seventh-day.

He had to know what day it was at Sinai - when He spoke His Ten commandments to Israel personnally (Exodus 20). In Exouds 16 He says "Tomorrow is The Sabbath". He picked it.

When Jesus came He said He was the Son of God and that He made the Sabbath for mankind - If He was wrong about the day at that time then we can all afford to be "Wrong with Him".

Science today claims to know exactly which day of the week was being called "the first" and "the 7th" in Israel at the time of Christ under the Roman empire and Jewish Calendar. This is irrespective of whether the scientist is Jewish, Christian or atheist. They have the timeline worked out to the Roman Empire.

All Christians agree (Sabbath keeping or not) that the first day of the week in the NT was Sunday and the 7th day was Saturday - so also do all Jews and science itself.

The issue is "not" do we know which day Christ kept the issue is only what to do with what we know.

In keeping the weekly day of worship some choose to keep the 7th day because God commands it as a Holy day since Creation week as a memorial of Creation.

Others choose to keep the first day of the week (Sunday) in honor of Christ's resurrection and claim that the command to keep the 7th day has been abolished by our Lord, Creator and Savior Jesus Christ -- who MADE It for MANKIND -- not mankind made for the Sabbath.

Still others do some kind of "edit" to make the first day the 7th in some way as if that somehow address the memorial of Creation language in the 4th commandment. (I don't fully understand how they do that frankly so I could be misrepresenting their view of the edit).

In Christ,

Bob

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is pretty amazing! Praise God!

But it is easy to see that Lev 19:18 "Love your neighbor as yourself" and Deut 6:5 "Love God with all yuor heart" had to get "someone's attention" as a red flag on simply dumping the scriptures.

Also - it seems that people would figure out that the "scriptures" being quoted by all NT authors was the ones people today wanted to dump.

And finally - the Ten commandments are referenced so often in the OT as a unit "The Ten Commandments" and then referenced so often in the NT (Romans 7, Eph 6, James 2 etc) that you would think this could not be missed.

Still "the traditions of man" have a strong hold on us - no doubt about it.

Even so - I have to think that your taking a stand in favor of "Scripture" even if it is OT and even if it includes the Law of God that defines sin - would be very "very" unpopular.

Pretty gutsy!

That is an amazing testimony!

Jesus IS "God the Son" so HIS WORD is the OT as well as the NT. So if they want to call it "The LAw of Christ" I too am happy to have them do it - as long as the end is submitting to Christ rather than rebellion in favor of man's traditions.

Have I got a truck load of arguments for you to use!

In Christ,

Bob

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Brother Bob - are you familiar with the "Seventh-day Baptists"??

11. gekko

gekko New Member

oh boy. that's one I havn't heard...

what are they?

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    BenW on this board is Seventh-day Baptist.

In the mid 1800's a member from that group spoke to one of the Adventist/Millerite congregations about keeping Sabbath and that is how you got "Seventh-day Adventists".

In Christ,

Bob

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

BobRyan;
    No, I am not familiar with them. One other thing on Sunday please if you don't mind. Sabbath as being Sunday as held by most would be talking about Israel day and time is that correct and are they a day ahead of behind us? I also did a paper on the Ten Commandments in 1996 which I posted on here if the Mods don't erase it because of the length of it. Please read it so as to see how it lines up with what I posted on here.
    I also did a paper of double marriage, maybe some time I will post it. I did it in 1996 also. Thanks for the kind comments,
    BBob

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is true that Israel is 8 or 9 hours ahead (I don't remember which). But both the Jews and the Christian that keep the 7th-day Sabbath either do it by the OT rule "From evening to evening shall you celebrate your Sabbaths" or they use the 6pm rule. It is all based on local time.

Recall that in Genesis 1 each day is measured "from evening to evening" since "Evening and Morning are the ... day" in every case. That means the start of night and the full complete daylight hours comprise "1 day".

In Isaiah 66 God speaks of the New Heavens and New Earth saying "From Sabbath to Sabbath .. shall ALL mankind come before Me to worship". That 7 day cycle appears to be preserved by God.

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    BTW do you have a link to the 1996 post?

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

No, but I am going to put it on my web site for Song Books that I publish and will put the double marriage one there too.

17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    PM me when you have the posts up on your web site.

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Would that not make us in reality 8 or 9 hours off from the "real happening" even if we did hold it from evening to evening?

19. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Brother Bob,

If you click on this link you can read about the Sabbath... and why we keep it.. or at least some of the reasons why...

National Sunday Law

Some entire church congregations have switched over to keeping the 7th Day Sabbath after reading this little book by Jan Marcussen. Their Pastors read it and then convinced their whole congregations to keeping the Sabbath.

Claudia

20. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

also, if you will go here to this page there are some lessons there concerning the Sabbath

Sabbath Lessons

You can click on the little "television" icons and watch Pastor Doug Batchelor's sermons.

"Resting the Land" is one about the Sabbath,

and I think that "A River of Life" is one,

and "Bowing to Babylon" and "The Mark of Cain" too.

There could be a couple of others too, I havent finished listening to all of them yet.

But anyway there is more information there about the Seventh Day Sabbath that you can listen to. (or read if you prefer)

Ok I'll leave Bob and Bob to get back to their conversation now [​IMG]

Claudia