1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where did the evil spirit come from?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by psalms109:31, Feb 5, 2011.

1. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

15 S1 Sam 16:14-23, 14 Now the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the Lord terrorized him.

If God didn't have a hedge of protection around us, we would of already destroyed ourselves.

I believe the devil and evil spirit is constantly at the door of God accusing men and looking for permission to get past the hedge of protection.

Job 1:
    6 One day the angels[Hebrew the sons of God] came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan[Hebrew satan means adversary.] also came with them. 7 The LORD said to Satan, “Where have you come from?”

Satan answered the LORD, “From roaming throughout the earth, going back and forth on it.”

8 Then the LORD said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.”

9 “Does Job fear God for nothing?” Satan replied. 10 “Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. 11 But now stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face.”

12 The LORD said to Satan, “Very well, then, everything he has is in your power, but on the man himself do not lay a finger.”

Then Satan went out from the presence of the LORD.

Same thing in Job 2

Revelation 12:10
    Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say: “Now have come the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God, and the authority of his Messiah. For the accuser of our brothers and sisters, who accuses them before our God day and night, has been hurled down.

#1 psalms109:31, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2011
  2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The Lord directed the spirit so it came from the Lord. I think that we get a little squeamish with things like this but scripture seems to have no problem with it so neither should we.
    Job is another example of God sending satan on someone and if you read the passage carefully in Job it is the Lord who brings up Job not satan. It is almost like the Lord is sic'ing satan on Job. God does not have any trouble explaining Himself. We just seem to have a problem with accepting what He says about Himself. In one place it is said of God that He created the blind for His glory. So the passage in 1 Sam. should not be any problem for us to accept.

#2 freeatlast, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2011
  3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is why I am convinced that Satan and his angels were not cast out until Christ came to rule. The spirits, good and evil, both had access to heaven during the time of Ahab also....and the fact is they got 'used' a lot:

And Micaiah said, ..... I saw Jehovah sitting upon his throne, and all the host of heaven standing on his right hand and on his left. And Jehovah said, Who shall entice Ahab king of Israel, that he may go up and fall at Ramoth-gilead? And one spake saying after this manner, and another saying after that manner. And there came forth a spirit, and stood before Jehovah, and said, I will entice him. And Jehovah said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt entice him, and shalt prevail also: go forth, and do so. Now therefore, behold, Jehovah hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets; and Jehovah hath spoken evil concerning thee. 2 Chron 18:18-22