1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Where Did The Name Jesus Come From

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by HisWitness, Jun 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

All that nonsense about where the name of Jesus came from comes right out of the "Sacred Name" cult.

#21 Fred's Wife, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2013
  2. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

I don't know any think about that---but Christ had a real name and it was NOT a English name.

our translators clearly changed words and names in our Bibles.

LORD was placed in there and Yahweh was taken out

no dout the real name of Christ was also taken out.

Yahushua and Yeshua are 2 of the most commonly thought of the Christ's real name.

#22 HisWitness, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2013
  3. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I believe this is so important that you should stop wasting time here at the BB and devote the next 5 or 6 years of devout study to get to the bottom of it. Then report back to us on your conclusion. Remember, take at least 5 years before reporting back.

4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Another "not so" veiled attempt to slander the name of the Son of God, I see........

5. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

This may be true of the attempt in the OP's case, but I have no fear of discussing the issue.

If we discuss this rationally, we will all be better equipped for respectful conversation with people face-to-face. So far, the only disrespect being shown is from "our side" toward HisWitness.

If the moderators don't think he/she belongs here, they will ban. Until then, let's discuss rationally.

From my point of view, I would rather refer to Jesus by His given name, so this is worth the effort. I hate it when I mispronounce someone's name here - imagine when we are lovingly corrected there!

My understanding was that Jesus was probably called one of the derivatives of the Hebrew we know as "Joshua," and then likely during His ministry also the Greek derivative as well.

May I add a question for biblical language experts: Is this the same difference between the words we know as "Messiah" in Hebrew and "Christ" in Greek?

I can't judge HisWitness' intent here. I know what it LOOKS like though.

6. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Reading the threads started by HW, and his many posts in other threads, it is clear that he/she is very confused as to who Jesus is.

Here, someone whose name gives praise to a pagan god.
    Another thread, Michael the archangel.
    Others, Adam was the serpent that tempted Eve. (we were made in God's image, so I guess God must be a serpent if we follow HW's line of thinking)

Sorry, but it is obvious that HW is very confused at exactly who Jesus is.

And the sad thing is, he refuses to accept Biblical proof of Jesus not being Michael, not being one whose name gives worship to a pagan god,, etc..

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is poor speculation at best.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are not a Baptist and I doubt you attend a Baptist church

9. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

I know he didn't? "J" is the English equivalent of the Greek letter iota. Since English wasn't developed until after the Anglo-Saxon era several hundred years later, HW's off-the-wall comment is beyond absurd.

"Yahweh" wasn't REMOVED from the English Bibles either. First of all, the literal translation of the word is YHWH because we don't have vowels in Hebrew. The English vowels are added so you can pronounce it. But a translation is just that: A TRANSLATION. Translators don't leave original Hebrew and Greek words as they are unless there is absolutely no equivalent for the word or meaning in English.

The foolish debate over the letter "J" and the deletion of "Yahweh" was started by the Nation of Islam and the Watchtower.

10. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

The Implication....

I'm not sure what actual "intent" or motive is driving "His Witness" but if he really believes what he is saying, then the IMPLICATION is that ANYBODY who calls the Lord Jesus Christ by His given name (Jesus) is unsaved . That would include ANYBODY from the time of Christ until the present time. That is sheer lunacy. He is suggesting that NONE of us are truly saved. That disqualifies him from even being a true baptist....so why are we tolerating him even POSTING it in this section of the board. No true Baptist believes that. I'm not saying he is not saved (like he is apparently suggesting about US)...but he is certainly not Baptist...by ANY historical measurement. Think about it.

By the way....I think what Fred's Wife posted "nailed it".

Bro.Greg:saint:

11. Gregory Perry Sr.

Excellent Advise

I'd suggest 10...or how about December 32nd or the day after the Rapture?

:laugh::laugh::smilewinkgrin:

12. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

All im doing is posting interesting comments from other sources---and trying to discuss this topic in a civil manner---but it appears that most on this board has no clue how to discuss things in a civil manner even if they disagree--its just a bashing and being judgemental of someone who offers something a bit different than what the crowd is use too.

as far as my intent--im just discussing the topic --I don't have any motive behind it---I have even stated more than once--that I am NOT a JW and I AM a Baptist--most people here are so caught up in the traditional doctrines--that if any other truth comes along their way--they reject it right off.

Not saying everything im posting--im calling truth--but from a discussing point--we can discuss topics and learn from them---that's why we are all here is it not--to LEARN--or most are here because they just want to show how high and mighty they are in the Baptist doctrines and to bash everyone down who offers something a little different than they are used to :godisgood::godisgood:

13. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

Futhermore on the name of jesus--He never heard someone call him Jesus in his earthly ministry did he ?? NO

Yahushua or Yashua was prob. close to what they would have called him as.

This is NOT putting down the name of the Son of God--if anything it is trying to learn his REAL actual name that he had--that he was called by in that day

:godisgood::godisgood::godisgood:

14. Steadfast Fred

2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
    3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
    4 And they shall turn away [their] ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

What you are presenting is not the Word. You are presenting vain imaginations... Which the Word of God tells us to cast down.

2 Corinthians 10:4 (For the weapons of our warfare [are] not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
    5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

15. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

how is searching for Christ's name that he was called by in his lifetime a vain thing--do you call the name of Christ a vain thing ???

16. Steadfast Fred

Very few, if any of us on BB have called on the names of Yahushua or Yashua the only conclusion we can come to is you are subtly accusing us of not being saved who have called on the name of Jesus.

Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

The fact is, His name is Jesus, just as the Bible Proclaims. God promised to preserve His Word. He would not allow man to write that His Son's name is Jesus if it were not so.

17. Steadfast Fred

No, only your imaginations.

18. Gregory Perry Sr.

Counterfeit?

You know, I have always been told that the way they train bank tellers or others that handle large amounts of cash to spot counterfeits is NOT by showing them counterfeits BUT RATHER, by having them be completely familiar with the REAL THING. That way they immediately recognise the fakes. I'd say that would be applicable in the case of false teaching or doctrine as well. Personally, I don't feel the need to spend much time investigating anything "new" in regard to Bible doctrine. I believe the body of truth that is core to the orthodox historical Christian faith does not need to be questioned. It is bedrock and solid. We don't need to question it...we just need to be faithful to it....and our Lord Jesus Christ.....Amen?

19. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

there you go again of putting words in my mouth I NEVER said.

why do so many here take offence to the name of Christ ???

would it not be a blessing to us all to learn the actual earthly name of Christ in his day that he was actually called by ???

maybe it seems that some would be ashamed to even speak that name among others around them because they would seem kinda strange to others ??

Think that Christ would want to be called by his real name when we stand before him or by a translated name ???

I would think that he would want to be called by his name :godisgood:

20. Steadfast Fred

Matthew 1:21 (KJV)
    And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

His name, in the English language, is Jesus.

#40 Steadfast Fred, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.