1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where do Babies Go When they Die - Continued

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Dr. Bob, Oct 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yes, God is not willing that any should perish. But they do. Why? This is the question you refuse to address.

Why do they perish and others do not?

God is not willing that any should perish- in other words God's nature is opposed to it, but it is necessary that men perish for the greater good. That greater good is so great that the perishing of souls is a small price to pay that it might exist. The greater good is that Christ be glorified for grace and mercy and that Christ's people be able to experience redemption and rejoice in it forever. It is also necessary that sinners perish that God's holiness might be made manifest.

God is not willing that any should perish but he is less willing that Christ should go unglorified for grace and mercy. God is not willing that any should perish but he is less willing that his holiness and wrath against sin should go unnoticed and unmagnified.

That sin exist and sinners perish is a terrible but necessary evil that the greatest of good can forever come to pass.

Why do some believe and others not believe, Psalms?

Answer the question directly and thoroughly.

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup: zactly.

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

#104 Earth Wind and Fire, Oct 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2010
  5. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesn't say 'a law', it says 'the law':

for not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified: (for when Gentiles that have not the law do by nature the things of the law, these, not having the law, are the law unto themselves; in that they show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness therewith, and their thoughts one with another accusing or else excusing them); Ro 2:13,14,15

[edit] 'The law written in their hearts' does not apply to just anyone. It applies to those that have been 'born from above', both Jew and Gentile.

#105 kyredneck, Oct 30, 2010
  6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It has already been stated your answer is found in 2 Thessalonians 2... "and in every sort of evil that deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved."

Now, how could they have been saved if Christ did not come to die for them, and if He didn't come to die for them then there must be some other way for them to be saved based on that text? How can they perish for refusing to trust in Christ who did not come to die for them?

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...then how can a baby be a "sinner" (one who sins), or is there some unknown dispensation of salvation not privy to us? Sinners need a Savior.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How so? If it's "all on God"...it must also be the exact same way for those who perish as those who do not.

10. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't this objection of your's kinda sorta along the lines of:

...What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God?....Why doth he still find fault? For who withstandeth his will?.....

[also it seems to me we've been at this same exact spot before]

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not at all (I've never heard that one before :))

Do you have an answer to it? "Let us reason together" says the Lord...

The responsibility and ability are all over the map in reformed theology. Man has free will pre-fall, loses it...but keeps it in regards to sinning, but not in responding when God calls. After justification, re-acquired free will to respond to God and has free will to still sin (even though we are "dead to sin"). God is completely responsible in salvation (all God), and powerless in damnation (all man).

#111 webdog, Oct 30, 2010
  12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

13. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I am aware of all, but are any "innocent" and "not guilty"?

My Bible says that "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God..." and that "the wages of sin are death..." I don't see room there for some to be "innocent" or "not guilty".

Can you bring scriptural evidence to back up that some are innocent and not guilty?

Pelagianism is what I posted. Look it up. Also note that Baptists hold to a doctrine of original sin. Just because Catholics do as well does not make the doctrine false.

14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

But here is the question Webdog. Why do some "refuse to love the truth" and others receive it gladly?

Why does John receive the truth and Jack reject it?

Is John less depraved, less rebellious? If so- why? Why is Jack more depraved and rebellious than John. Was John born better than Jack?

Did God draw John more than he drew Jack? Did God give John opportunities that he did not give Jack?

What is the answer?

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Exactly.

Men perish because they hate God and they are thoroughly wicked.

They do not go to hell wishing the whole time that they could serve Christ. They go to hell hating Christ.

But among these sinful wretches, all of whom God loves, none of whom God wishes to perish- among them God saves a vast multitude by his grace.

Now don't respond to this post without addressing the John and Jack scenario we are discussing first, please.

16. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

There is a fly in your ointment, so to speak... If your question 2 above is true, then we should immediately halt all missionary activities, for sending people TO others who have never heard of Christ and the gospel is in a sense then sending them to hell if they do not believe! But, that is not at all the biblical position. We are commanded by God to go into all the world and spread the gospel. Why? Because those who have not heard cannot accept Christ and be saved. That, in particular, is why the question about the salvation of infants is such a difficult question, and likely one that we will not be able to answer until we stand in God's presence and see exactly what He has done.

Jesus shed his blood for all sin -- period. That is what the Bible says. It takes human logic and reasoning to modify that position into one where Jesus only shed His blood for the elect, etc.

BUT...

Jesus shed blood is not universally salvific. Not all are saved just because Jesus shed his blood. That is also what the Bible says very plainly. That means that the shed blood of Jesus, though covering all sins is not the only part that makes up salvation. If it were, no matter what anyone did or did not do, they would be saved -- exactly the position of universalists -- and exactly not what the Bible teaches (unless one cherry picks verses out of context and builds a false doctrine).

It is the efficacious (effective) application of Jesus blood (atonement) that actually matters, and God makes clear in the Word that the effective application is for the elect. Again, we do not know who the elect are. We do not know how many are elect. We just know that God tells us that He elects. Our job is to do what God said, in love, and see the elect come to Him. What He does with those who never hear, including infants and those who do not have the mental capacity to hear, is His business, and our best hope is to completely trust and ALL-GOOD God to do the best right thing, which He will -- from His perspective, not ours.

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Very good.

I'd rather salvation be completely up to a perfect, all knowing, holy God than to any extent whatsoever up to depraved, sinful, ignorant men.

If it is at all up to us we are ALL doomed. There is none that seeketh after God, none that doeth good- no not one.

God must regenerate man before man will ever pursue God.

Who God regenerates is completely up to him. We are to trust that his ways are as high above ours as the heavens are from the earth.

I do. I believe he does all things right.

18. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Webdog, I think that you missed a point with your summary statement. We do not loose our free will "just" in regards to sinning. We loose our free will everywhere, for we have already been born in sin.

We did have a true free will before the fall. It was at that point when we were not yet sinners that we could freely choose to sin or not to sin. That choice was eliminated once we bound ourselves to sin by rejecting and rebelling against God. Now our ONLY HOPE is God's grace through the imputed righteousness of Jesus Christ -- which IS the gospel.

19. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

We don't know... We don't know that He saves some, none, or all. We just trust an ALL-GOOD God to do the best thing and we find out when we stand in His presence one day.

Would the discovery that God has not saved all babies cause you to stop believing Him or worshiping Him? (Not a flippant question... True Christian concern!)

#119 glfredrick, Oct 30, 2010
  20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Actually my question was directed to Luke because of his statement that God saves babies exactly like adults (which is His choice of one over another). I assume this means Luke believes that some babies go to hell just as some adults do.

Regarding your question, God is God and I'm not is my view. I do not believe for one second that God sends any babies to hell, therefore I can't speculate on what I would feel if He did.

I base my beliefs on the word of God and the Holy Spirit within me. The Spirit testifies to me that God is just and sending babies to hell simply for being a human with a sin nature is unjust.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.