1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where do babies go when they die?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by jbh28, Oct 26, 2010.

?
  1. Heaven, I'm a Calvinist

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  2. Hell, I'm a Calvinist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Heaven, I'm not a Calvinist

25 vote(s)
    69.4%
  4. Hell, I'm not a Calvinist

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. I'm not sure, I'm a Calvinist

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. I'm not sure, I'm not a Calvinist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Actually the Bible does allude to the fact the righteous have "guardian angels", in fact the two passages of Scripture below would seem to support children "inheriting salvation"
    Hebrews 1:14 Are they not all ministering spirits sent out to serve for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation?

Matthew 18:10 "See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels always see the face of my Father who is in heaven.

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most folks' difficulty with the subject of unsaved infants is that they are thinking of bewildered, infant-shaped ghosts not understanding what is happening to them.

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not about babies. It's about His disciples.

4. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

I'm not trying to pick a fight with anybody. Not sure why you make such an unwarranted statement. And not enough options? It's either yes, no or maybe. What other options do you need? And you are either a Calvinist or not a Calvinist. (unless you are a Calvinist and not at the same time. If so you have bigger issues :D)

So you would go under(not sure). And then you can pick which not sure depending on if you are a Calvinist or not. The reason I asked because it was mentioned that Calvinist believe that babies go to hell and I was curious to see what people (and Calvinist) believe here on the BB. Don't make assumptions.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The sentence structure does not allow for that interpretation.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Angels are ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation. Only the elect have angels.

7. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I was waiting for the option, "Well I don't know." :laugh:

#27 ReformedBaptist, Oct 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2010
  8. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whether little children or old men -Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Is that which is in bold not what makes us heirs and we become inheritors when we receive that which takes place after the until.

I will ask again did David go to his son and after the resurrection and ascension of Jesus where did Peter say David was/is?

This is the same post as the one titled, Where was Jesus.

Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. You will be born again when you inherit the kingdom of God see 1 Cor. 15:50-52 You do not inherit a little now and then a little later.

9. ReformedBaptist

All babies go to heaven. The end. :type:

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Isn't that a movie??

11. ReformedBaptist

Could be, but the movie was about dogs. :laugh:

12. ReformedBaptist

If no one will shoot me for referencing extra-biblical sources, I read through a few early Christian writings where it was repeated in a few (Barnabas, Apocylpse of Peter) that angels raise up babies. Kinda interesting that the early Christians may have thought this way. But definately no hell.

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

False. If all babies are born sinners as Calvinism teaches, then they cannot be regenerate. You cannot be spiritually alive and spiritually dead in your sins at the same time, this is impossible.

You cannot have your sins forgiven until you believe (justified through faith), therefore you cannot be regenerated until after you believe.

Some Calvinists teach that babies and children can be regenerated for years before they actually trust Christ later and have their sins forgiven. This is impossible as you would have a regenerate, born again, spiritually alive person who is dead in their sins at the same moment.

The scriptures clearly show that babies and infants are not held accountable for their sins until they reach a certain point of maturity and can understand their sinfulness before God.

Deut 1:39 Moreover your little ones, which ye said should be a prey, and your children, which in that day had no knowledge between good and evil, they shall go in thither, and unto them will I give it, and they shall possess it.

Those Jews who sinned against God in the wilderness were not allowed to enter the promised land which is a figure of heaven. The children who had no knowledge between good and evil in that day were allowed to go in.

Jonah 4:10 Then said the LORD, Thou hast had pity on the gourd, for the which thou hast not laboured, neither madest it grow; which came up in a night, and perished in a night:
    11 And should not I spare Nineveh, that great city, wherein are more than sixscore thousand persons that cannot discern between their right hand and their left hand; and also much cattle?

God told Jonah it was right that he should have pity or mercy upon Nineveh because it had 120,000 young children in it that could not discern between their right hand and left hand. They were just as innocent as the cattle.

Isa 7:16 For before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings.

Here God shows that little children are not mature enough to choose between good and evil.

Children do wrong things, children sin, but they are not held accountable because they cannot truly understand sin and the consequences of sin before God.

#33 Winman, Oct 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2010
  14. ReformedBaptist

Winman, if you declare something to be false you should understand it first. The confession that brother quoted is either the WCF or LBCF, and it is not stating that babies are sinners and regenerate at the same time. It is stating that babies are regenerated.

I understand this to mean that a baby is saved in the exact same manner and reason any person is ever saved: by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone.

As for your view that "some calvinists" teach babies are children can be regenerated for years prior to trusting in Jesus, who are you talking about? I have never seen this teaching. Please reference where you read this, I would be interested in seeing this teaching.

If you want to read a good Calvinist deal with the subject fully, then I encourage you to read Spurgeon's sermon entitled "Infant Salvation." Google it, you will find it.

RB

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

I can't say exactly what he personally believes, but I have posted quotes from Calvinists and Lutherans who declare that little children can be regenerated by the Holy Spirit to have faith, and yet not place faith in Christ for many years later. This is impossible, you cannot be spiritually alive and spiritually dead in your sins at the same moment.

You can never be forgiven of your sins until you place faith in Jesus. You can never be spritually alive while you are dead in your sins. Therefore, faith must precede regeneration.

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

If I'm not mistaken our fellow BB member Pinoybaptist believes that one can be elect & regenerated years before they are saved, or rather understand that they have been saved all along.

17. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe that babies go to heaven and the scriptures (which have all ready been stated in this thread) supports that.

Oh and by the way, make sure you vote. Voting pro-life would be a good start. I believe you will be held accountable for your votes that support people that condone murdering children in their mothers womb!

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

Yes Amy, there are a few who have said this. And I have posted quotes from noted Calvinists that say an infant can be regenerated and yet not trust Christ for many years later.

Being an infant does not matter. An adult cannot be spiritually alive and yet be dead in trespasses and sins at the same moment. You cannot be forgiven of your sins until you trust Christ. You cannot be regenerated or made spiritually alive until all your sins are forgiven, it is your sins that makes you dead. Therefore, faith must precede rengeneration. And this is what the scriptures show.

John 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

Calvinism falsely teaches that you must have life (be regenerated) in order to have the ability to believe, but the scriptures show the exact opposite, that you must believe to have life.

19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

To answer the question we do not know. We know where David is but not the son since scripture does not tell us.

20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Thus sayest the ReformedBaptist! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.