1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where do babies go when they die?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by jbh28, Oct 26, 2010.

?
  1. Heaven, I'm a Calvinist

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  2. Hell, I'm a Calvinist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Heaven, I'm not a Calvinist

25 vote(s)
    69.4%
  4. Hell, I'm not a Calvinist

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. I'm not sure, I'm a Calvinist

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. I'm not sure, I'm not a Calvinist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Tom, thanks again for actually pointing to Scripture, what a great Idea! LOL

2. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

word of Jesus

The words of Jesus is Spirit and life to a dead man

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Bob,
    When I saw that WebDog seemed to agree with me on this issue I had to go back and re-visit my thoughts and words. Originally I assumed, not a good thing to do I should have questioned further, that you were saying that you needed no salvation, but I now feel that is not the case. I apologize for my attack on you and your post. Please forgive me for my outburst. I think I now better understand what you are saying about being a sheep.

#63 freeatlast, Oct 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2010
  4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...on the flip side, how can we possibly sin as believers if we are "dead to sin"?

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks for yet another underhanded attack on my salvation.

He's not saying he needed no salvation...he basically said he was saved eternally even before he was born APART from faith in Christ.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

And that is not biblical. You are not saved before you place your in Christ.

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Now that I have had time to re-visit Bob's post I disagree with your assessment and I make no apology to you. My problem was that I started using your tactics and reasoning and for that I am ashamed.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The sheep are referred to as Israelites throughout Scripture. We are not supposed to interpret "sheep" as gentile believers. Context determines who the "sheep" are, and unless you, Dr. Bob or I are Jews we are not "sheep". We are not natural branches, we have been grafted in.

The sheep "not of this fold" in John 10 are the 2 remaining tribes with Rehoboam which formed Judah. Jesus was speaking of the full union of all 12 tribes, not the 10 that broke off from Rhoboam that went on to form what we know as Israel. It is the fullness of Christ's kingdom. Replacement theologians cannot grasp this.

#68 webdog, Oct 28, 2010
  9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Then continue to hold to the same false doctrine then and believe you are a "sheep" apart from Christ.

10. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Hey sheep people. THIS ISN'T ABOUT THAT! STOP HIJACKING MY THREAD

In other words, go start another thread. This would be an interesting subject, but I'm not going to respond to it here because this is about if babies go to heaven or hell, not if you are a sheep before you are saved.

11. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

I wasn't too surprised actually
    Are you saying that we shouldn't be having the discussion, or was it my approach? I wasn't trying to be insensitive about anything.

I'm probably going to ask the to close it anyway because there are a few(including an admin) that keeps talking about something other than the OP.

#71 jbh28, Oct 28, 2010
  12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Doesn't it go hand in hand? Dr. Bob said he was a sheep before born, while an infant, and the day before he put his faith in Christ.

13. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Well, I hope he doesn't mean he was saved before he came to Christ, but I don't think that's what he's referring to. I think it's an excellent discussion about when we become sheep, but it's a little off topic. It could be twisted to be on topic which would be fine, but not it's more of when we become sheep instead of babies.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What else could it possibly mean? If a "sheep" dies, do they go to be with the Lord or cast into the lake of fire? If it's the former, you can spend eternity with God apart from faith in Christ. Either all babies are "sheep" or only "sheep babies" go to Heaven while the non do not.

15. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

I apologize if I have offended anyone with this thread. That was not my intention. I saw something mentioned in another thread and thought it might have been a good discussion.

View Poll Results: Where do babies go when they die?
    Heaven, I'm a Calvinist 6 17.14%
    Hell, I'm a Calvinist 0 0%
    Heaven, I'm not a Calvinist 25 71.43%
    Hell, I'm not a Calvinist 1 2.86%
    I'm not sure, I'm a Calvinist 3 8.57%
    I'm not sure, I'm not a Calvinist 0 0%

Of course, it looks like only one voted of not heaven, which means that the majority, including myself believe that babies go to heaven when they die. And all Calvinist voted either not sure or heaven.

I think most of us agree that babies go to heaven when they die. I didn't think about how personal this could be for some and I am sorry again if I upset anyone over this topic.

#75 jbh28, Oct 28, 2010
  16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mine was a serious post directly in keeping with the op. Sorry if some can't see it.

If a person is known/loved from eternity past by the Father, they will receive His grace and go to heaven. If they are not (and we have NO clue as to who is thus known/loved) they will not receive God's grace.

Nothing to do with Calvinism; everything to do with a sovereign God who saves by His grace alone, not man "doing" something.

Sorry to see a few posts go haywire here; thought the salient point I made was clear enough.

(And feel only extreme pity for those who think I am not saved or should not administrate here because of belief that I am a sheep!!) PLEASE DO NOT POST THE ANTI-CALVINIST GARBAGE HERE; stick with the op.

17. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I am going to try to keep this post within the general parameters of the OP, and at the same time address some points of contention.

I have already pointed out that Jesus described some who were not yet saved (I believe he's referring to Gentiles) as "sheep." Whether one holds that this is unconditional election at work, or simply God's foreknowledge of who who will be eventually saved, the result is the same--their salvation is a certainty. It is a certainty because what God foreknows today, he has always foreknown, from eternity.

That's why Dr. Bob could say:
    We also have at least four recorded instances where God has chosen people for salvation and service before they were born:

Isaiah made this assertion:
    So did Jeremiah:
    The angel told Zacharias regarding John the Baptist:
    And finally, the Apostle Paul:
    Now, these passages do not tell us what happens to all infants who die, but they do shed some light on these four, whose salvation and service were decreed from eternity.

I rest on the assurance that the future of those who die in infancy is in God's hands. I also believe we can take comfort from Jesus own words:
    [SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
    And finally, I cite this passage:
    So, infants are not judged on the basis of their sinful nature (which they are born with); they are not judged for Adam's sin; and they have no "sins of the body" to be accounted for.

And one can make the case that Jesus death the cross covered their sin nature, just as it does ours who live.

18. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

in other words, you would say that God has chosen to save some babies. You would say that God's elected certain persons to be saved and that includes some babies.

19. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

that's what I figured Dr. Bob was referring to.

I've heard this argument before too about babies being innocent though with a sin nature.

20. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

What I do know

I know God is just and does not show favoritism. That all will stand before the judgement seat, not to be told if we are elect or not, but have we trusted in Jesus or not. I don't know what will happen to be babies, but they will stand before the judgement seat and it will be a just judgement with no favoritism. Their is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. What I do believe is far fetched I guess, because no one responded to it, and maybe it is just an emotional response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.