1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where do we go when we die?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Jul 17, 2008.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Do we go directly to heaven or hell?

Some say we go to sleep or something but does that mean we go blank during that point in time until the rapture?

Kind of confused on this one?

Thanks!

:thumbs:

2. standingfirminChrist

There is no such thing as soul sleep.

Paul encouraged his readers by telling them that to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.

What a wonderful promise!

This is further affirmed by the Lord Himself as He hung on Calvary's cross. After one thief asked the Lord Jesus to remember him when He entered His kingdom, Jesus replied, "I tell you, this day thou shalt be with me in Paradise."

He is faithful who promised!

3. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I agree, SFIC, and praise God indeed for His faithfulness to His glorious promises!

4. billwald

billwald New Member

I die every time I fall asleep.

5. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am torn on this one. I think that a case for "sleep" can indeed be made. However, a case can also be made that we enter a conscious state immediately after death. I lean slightly to the "sleep" position and think that "today you will be with me in Paradise" does not necessarily connote a conscious state. And "to be absent from the body and present with the Lord" works with the "sleep" position when seen phenomenologically. To make a comparison: "To put my head on the pillow at midnight in a tired state is to be present with the chirping birds and sunlight streaming through the window at 8 AM.

There are too many texts which refer to the dead as "sleeping" for people to discard the "sleep" position too readily. And the distinguishing feature of sleep is unconciousness.

Besides, even if heaven is a conscious state entered immediately after death, the scriptures do not, I think, treat this as our final destination. Our final destination is in a distinctly embodied state on a renewed and transformed earth.