Where do you get your theological resources from?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salamander, May 24, 2008.

1. Salamander

Salamander
    Expand Collapse

In a recent thread about modesty, this link was provided as a rebuttal of sorts.

I find it strange that Baptist would use a "Yahweh"/ Covenant theology website as a reference.

My theology comes directly from the Bible coupled with commentaries that make sense when compared to the rest of Scripture. I also make use of the Webster's 1828 which tends to gives us many clear examples of how words are defined in Scripture in context.

That thread was about modesty which does implicate the O.T. laws concerning morality are still in effect as we should be a moral people. Only the Ceremonial laws did Jesus bring an end to by His fulfillment of all of them as the Lamb of God.

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus
    Expand Collapse
    Supporter

Apparently this modesty thread has had some heated discussions...

I hold to a view of covenantal theology, I use the term Yahweh frequently in some converstions. :)

I use a wide breadth of commentaries as secondary literature. When making theological decisions about texts and topics I generally start in the original languages and work out from there. My personal research library is fairly expansive so I have multiple tools at my disposal. I primarily rely on evangelical scholars and writers, but have plenty of material from more mainline sources too. Of course it all is subject to the biblical standard. :)

When discussing with people, particularly through the internet, I will use linked sources from sites across the board...but specifically ones that have coherent theology. I am picky about my hyperlinks too.

not sure if this is what you're looking for :)

3. donnA

donnA
    Expand Collapse

your link won't open to see it. BUt I assume it is the O.T. law link. That would be why it was linked too, to show him the laws he was telling us we had to obey when he himself didn't want to obey the laws. The list of laws do have their scriptural referances. So if this is the link to the 613 laws of the O.T. then your argument is void, and meaning less.

4. Salamander

Salamander
    Expand Collapse

The influences of other denominations is why we have so many factions of Baptists.

What is puzzling is why you didn't get the resource from one of the many BAPTIST websites?

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry
    Expand Collapse
    <b>Moderator</b>

If you take care to use resources, starting with the Bible, you will recognize that the Bible does not make a distinguish between parts of the Law. The Law was indivisible.

Baptist resources are not the only good resources. Most Baptist resources on the web are put out by groups that deny certain doctrines like bibliology. As such, their material is very suspect. As a general rule, if you find it on the web, there is good reason to be careful with it unless it comes from a recognized name.

6. David Lamb

David Lamb
    Expand Collapse

Because the link in the OP doesn't work, I am not sure what was meant there by "Yahweh"/ Covenant theology. I have heard of (and believe in) Covenant Theology, but "Yahweh"/ Covenant theology is something I have not heard of. I could easily point to websites that are both Baptist and hold to Covenant Theology - there is the site of the Metropolitan Tabernacle, where C H Spurgeon was pastor, the site of Alfred Place Baptist Church, Aberystwyth, Wales, and many others. Walt Chantry's article, "Baptism and Covenant Theology" can be found on the Reformed Reader site at: http://www.reformedreader.org/rbb/chantry/bc.htm

But "Yahweh"/ Covenant theology may be something completely different, in which case those sites I mentioned might not be baptist sites that hold to such a theology.

7. Salamander

Salamander
    Expand Collapse

Um, I will have to disagree. Jesus fulfilling the Law did away/divided/ the Ceremonial aspects from those that fall in to the moral cavity which remains.

I do agree with your comments about some "Baptist" websites.

Jesus distinguished between the two. We no longer see the Ceremonial portions incorporateed today.

Offering a blood sacrifice would be abomination to the Lord.

8. Salamander

Salamander
    Expand Collapse

What is usually typical and associated with those who use the transliteration of the tetragrammaton
    "YHWH" say "Yahweh", pronounced " 'yaw wuh", hold to a false doctrine that "if you haven't been baptized in the name of Yahweh you're not saved" and "have not been baptized right".

I know many Covenant Theologies that hold true to Baptist/Bible doctrine.

9. donnA

donnA
    Expand Collapse

The original link from the original thread was a site that listed the 613 O.T. laws. Nothing more.

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry
    Expand Collapse
    <b>Moderator</b>

It's fine for you to disagree, but the NT considers the Law as a whole. That's why Paul says in Galatians 5 if you keep any of it you have to keep all of it, and James says in james 2 that if you break one part of it you have broken all of it.

We should not see any parts of the Law used today as a basis for living. It was not given for the church. Jesus fulfilled all of it, not just part of it.

11. Dr. L.T. Ketchum

Dr. L.T. Ketchum
    Expand Collapse

The Mosaic Covenant was a suzerain-vassal agreement, meaning it was a bilateral and conditional covenant between God and the nation of Israel (not individuals) and, therefore, was a covenant of “works,” unlike the Abrahamic Covenant, which was an unconditional covenant given “by grace” and received “through faith.” The Abrahamic Covenant too was a dualistic covenant with both National and Spiritual Israel. To be part of National Israel, one needed to be born a descendant of Abraham. To be part of Spiritual Israel one needed to be a “born again” descendant of Christ (the Abrahamic Covenant was typically made with Abraham, but actually made with Christ (see Gal. 3:19, 26, and 29).

The Mosaic Covenant was a “blessing and a curse” covenant (see Deut. 11:26-32 compared with Deut. 29:1 through 30:20). The significance of these facts regarding our understanding of Romans chapter nine is that the vast majority of National Israel had been misled by the priesthood of Israel to believe that the “blessing and a curse” covenant was conditions for individual salvation. In other words, the vast majority of National Israel had been misled into placing their faith in their keeping the conditions of the Mosaic Covenant in order to be saved, which to them came to mean being part of the Kingdom on earth promises of God. This was a complete misunderstanding of the “blessing and a curse” of the Mosaic Covenant (Gal. 3:19). Paul introduced the fact that Gentiles were part of the Abrahamic Covenant as early as Rom. 3:19-31 correcting the false notion that justification came through the “blessing and a curse” Mosaic Covenant.

Jesus fulfilled the conditions for the "blessing and the curse" of the Mosaic Covenant. Faith in Christ brings the eternal and spiritual blessings of God upon Jewish believers while removing the curse (does not refer to the curse of Hell, but the curse of God upon unfaithful Israel allowing God to righteouslessly restore National Israel at a later day).

#11 Dr. L.T. Ketchum, May 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2008
  12. David Lamb

David Lamb
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for explaining. I know the transliteration of the tetragrammaton "YHWH" (it's usually pronounce "Yar Way" here), but I had not encountered the notion of being baptized in the name of Yahweh. Sounds as if they are restricting the idea of the name of God to a mere label. I imagine the would say that praying in the name of Jesus Christ means no more than tacking the words "In the name of Jesus Christ" on to the end of our prayers.

13. Salamander

Salamander
    Expand Collapse

And. don't forget, everyone of those references made specific mention of "Yahweh".

14. Salamander

Salamander
    Expand Collapse

So, when Jesus said to keep "his" commandments, and that he had kept the "Father's" commandments, Jesus was talking about tow totaly different sets of commandments???

Every moral aspect of the Law IS the BASIS for life. It is our duty to be holy and without blame. Of course none of are without blame and really none of us are holy beyond Jesus Christ abiding in us as we abide in Him.

We are to strive to be like Him, and apart from Him we can do nothing.

I believe maybe you forgot this.

15. Salamander

Salamander
    Expand Collapse

What they say is that "Jesus" comes from a transliteration of "Zeus".

It seems they know very little of where "Jesus"/ the English name, actually comes from.

16. Salamander

Salamander
    Expand Collapse

Exactly, and ONLY through Jesus Christ are we found of God to have kept the Law.

Nothing wrong with the Blood!

17. donnA

donnA
    Expand Collapse

O.T. quotes apparently bother you.

18. Salamander

Salamander
    Expand Collapse

No, O.T. quotes which insert "Yahweh" everytime when the Hebrew shows something different bothers me.
    "yhvh" is a tetragrammton missing the vowel points. Clearly the Hebrew has used Elohim in places the site you used shows "Yahweh" instead.

Get over it, we are not discussing your website, but the use of other websites and other places that are not Baptist as a reference for theology.

Either the Baptists have it right or anything goes. Either you believe the baptists are right or you're open game for every wind of doctrine.

I just came out of a lengthy conversation with a "water dog" who rests their salvation in water baptism; does this "bother" you?

19. Rippon

Rippon
    Expand Collapse

20. Salamander

Salamander
    Expand Collapse

Please don't judge my attitude, Brother.

Show me where I have ever said this?

Are you aware that what we hold to are the very teachings of Jesus and by all standards of practice even the Lord Himself is "Baptist"???

I know other denominations hold to the Baptist theologies, but everyone of them either adds to and takes away from them.

I even know some churches that are Baptist but have removed the distinction and call themselves non-denominational.:laugh:

What happens is the word of God gets watered down by theologies introduced by other resources and then causes the confusion we see all over the globe today.

I am not boasting, but I have yet to find any portion of the Scripture which we do not practice in compliance with the chronological order and fulfilment of those same scriptures.:godisgood: