1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where in the Bible does it claim [I]sola scriptura[/I] and inerrancy?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Matt Black, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'll let the OP question speak for itself!

Yours in Christ

Matt

2. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matt, I wandered up in this area to read what others were saying about the post-tribulation raputre, but they have all dropped out of the discussion so let me take a swing at the softball question that you have pitched.

Actually, I have merely copied and pasted for you the section of the Southern Baptist Convention Baptist Faith And Message on The Holy Bible:

"I. The Scriptures

"The Holy Bible was written by men divinely inspired and is God's revelation of Himself to man. It is a perfect treasure of divine instruction. It has God for its author, salvation for its end, and truth, without any mixture of error, for its matter. Therefore, all Scripture is totally true and trustworthy. It reveals the principles by which God judges us, and therefore is, and will remain to the end of the world, the true center of Christian union, and the supreme standard by which all human conduct, creeds, and religious opinions should be tried. All Scripture is a testimony to Christ, who is Himself the focus of divine revelation.

"Exodus 24:4; Deuteronomy 4:1-2; 17:19; Joshua 8:34; Psalms 19:7-10; 119:11,89,105,140; Isaiah 34:16; 40:8; Jeremiah 15:16; 36:1-32; Matthew 5:17-18; 22:29; Luke 21:33; 24:44-46; John 5:39; 16:13-15; 17:17; Acts 2:16ff.; 17:11; Romans 15:4; 16:25-26; 2 Timothy 3:15-17; Hebrews 1:1-2; 4:12; 1 Peter 1:25; 2 Peter 1:19-21."

3. Matt Black

Site Supporter

But even here in BF&M2000 the claim for sola scriptura is not made; also, none of the verses cited claim SS or inerrancy...

Yours in Christ

Matt

4. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where does the SBC use custom and tradition like the Roman Catholic church? We do not have a pope and say that Peter was the first Pope; we do not say that the Virgin Mary ascended into heaven; etc., etc., etc. Authority outside of The Holy Bible should not exist in any Christian church anywhere in the world. It is a mark of a cult that they have some other source of authority (such as the Mormons who have a Book of Mormon in addition to The Holy Bible).

We believe that The Holy Bible is perfect (or inerrant).

In one of the verses that I cited, Psalm 19:7 it says, "The law of the Lord is perfect."

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

So what do you beleive? Is scripture our only source of who God is and what He expects? Do you think He made errors in it?

2Timothy 3:15-17 KJ (which is whats on my desk at the moment)
    And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
    All scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.
    That the man of God may be perfect, throughtly furnished unto all good works.

To me these verse tell me that the scriptures are all we need, there are no other sources of truth outside of scripture(not talking about any books that may be based on scripture by anyone favorite theologian, thats up to you to decide)
    becasue it is the only book written by God. it contains the history on mankind from beginning to end, therefore we don't need a suposed continued revelation, God has revealed Himself through Jesus.

God is the author of scripturethere can be no mistakes.

6. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Peter 3 establishes the authority of the Apostles and Prophets (OT) to commend teaching to the church. 2 Peter 1 helps define an Apostle as one who has witnessed the risen Christ.

God commissioned specially chosen men to communicate His revelation. The attempt to prove that apostolic authority was passed down is strained at the very best. Sola Scriptura or better "final authority" simply recognizes that the God given authority of the original writers was unique... which is exactly what scripture itself indicates.

7. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Donna, Romans 1 establishes general revelation in addition to the special revelation of scripture as a means of knowing God.

The general revelation is alot less specific though... making an interpretation of it alot less authoritative. But God can be seen in nature making all men guilty, even the ones who have never seen a Bible or heard the gospel.

8. Matt Black

Site Supporter

I'm asking for your views.

The passage you quoted from 2 Tim affirms neither inerrancy nor SS. It also needs to be placed in its context and in particular the preceding two verses which exhort Timothy to also hold onto what has been orally taight to him from childhood

Yours in Christ

Matt

9. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Your first sentence is fine, but on what Scriptural basis do you assert this? Ps 19 refers to the (Mosaic) Law alone

Yours in Christ

Matt

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

There is no verse I know of that says God's word is inerrant, but if God's word is God's word, and if we believe that God is a righteous, omniscient God, and if we believe that His word is inspired by the HS, then its inerrancy is a given (in the originals; there are copyist/translator errors that are easily spotted and none of them affect doctrine).

If one believes God's word is not inerrant, then it cannot be from an omniscient God. One would have to believe in a God who can make mistakes (in which case, He would not be God).

We do not have to have a verse or passage that says God's word is inerrant. We have choices to believe:
    1.The Bible is God's word or it is not.
    2.God is perfect and omniscient and he inspired the Bible, or He did not.
    3. God is not perfect and omniscient and the Bible is not inerrant.

Take your pick.

11. Daniel Dunivan

Daniel Dunivan New Member

"Ps 19 refers to the (Mosaic) Law alone"

The text out of I Timothy quoted above expands this only to include the rest of the OT (and maybe even the other books not included in our OT which are part of the LXX).

--------------------------

The relationship of the issues of inerrancy and sola scriptura to the question of having a claim made for them in the Bible are quite different. The Bible can be inerrant without ever claiming to be inerrant (though, the same logic says that it can claim it for itself, and it still is not required to be accurate about this point); however, in order for one to believe in sola scriptura, the scriptures by logical necessity must claim this for themselves in order for this to be true. Why? Because if the scriptures don't claim to be the only source of theological authority, then one can't claim that they are the only source of theological authority, for this question is by its very nature a theological question.

Furthermore, it is impossible to speak of what the scriptures say (and this is how the most conservative define theology) without first interpreting the scriptures, and the act of interpretation of the scriptures is always filtered through our experiences, tradition, and reason (and all of these by their very nature are outside the bible).

Let's move on to this question of continuing revelation. If you believe that the scriptures were the final act of revelation, then on what basis do you take these particular books as scripture. By necessity, canonicity was determined after the scriptures were "revealed." Revelation must be ongoing through the church in some way. Call me Catholic (I am a "catholic" Baptist--or General Baptist if you prefer) for saying that, but it must be true based on your own presuppositions.

Grace and Peace, Danny

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The books in the NT canon were chosen due to apostolic authority. I do believe the canon is final and closed -- there is no continuing revelation for the church.

If there is continuing revelation, then we would have to keep adding books to the Bible.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

I'm asking for your views.

The passage you quoted from 2 Tim affirms neither inerrancy nor SS. It also needs to be placed in its context and in particular the preceding two verses which exhort Timothy to also hold onto what has been orally taight to him from childhood

Yours in Christ

Matt
    </font>[/QUOTE]I gave you my views.
    If God is the author as scripture says, then how can their be errors? Unless God isn't perfect and neither is anything He does.
    Which I don't think is true.
    What do you think ranks up there with scripture so that scripture isn't our only authority?

14. donnA

donnA Active Member

Gad gave the bible writters revelation of Himself, He has told everything about Himself and us and our need of a Savior in that same bible. Nothing more needed.
    In your opinion what more does God tell people today that should be scripture? And who does He tell it too?
    Sounds Mormon to m, they believe in continued revelationa nd thats how they came about the book of mormon and why they continue to change what they beleive.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

[​IMG]

16. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

These questions are answered largely 2 Tim 3:16-17.

All Scripture is God-breathed -- This refers to it source being God, and since God cannot lie (Titus 1:2, and others), Scripture is necessarily inerrant.

Equips for every good work -- There is nothing else necessary. Scripture alone fits this bill. Therefore, sola scriptura is the biblical doctrine of Scripture.

To answer Matt's point about the context of 2 Tim 3 being oral tradition, that actually is not in the context. What he had learned and been taught was the Holy Scriptures, and what is inspired is Scripture, and Scripture, by definition, is writing, not oral. So the context is the written word of God.

17. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gad gave the bible writters revelation of Himself, He has told everything about Himself and us and our need of a Savior in that same bible. Nothing more needed.
    In your opinion what more does God tell people today that should be scripture? And who does He tell it too?
    Sounds Mormon to m, they believe in continued revelationa nd thats how they came about the book of mormon and why they continue to change what they beleive.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I think you misunderstand. I didn't intend to batter you but rather simply point out that general revelation exists and condemns man for not knowing God.

I, like you, believe that special revelation concluded with the death of the Apostle John. The message of general revelation is also not changing... if men were only wise enough to discern it. Nature demands a Creator... yet men spend millions of dollars and hours trying prove how everything could come about naturally rather than supernaturally.

18. donnA

donnA Active Member

Thats not continued revelation, but rather God revealing to a person what the scriptures already say. Which is different.

19. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scott is correct when he speaks of general revelation and special revelation. There are in other words, two books. There are the 66 books of The Holy Bible and there is the book of the external universe around us.

Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Psalm 119:140 Thy word is very pure; therefore thy servant loveth it.

Man does not know good from evil; therefore, man needs The Holy Bible to light his footsteps. Fortunately, The Holy Bible is very pure.

No one has pointed out any errors in The Holy Bible.

20. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus said about The Holy Bible:

John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.