1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where in the Bible does it claim [I]sola scriptura[/I] and inerrancy?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Matt Black, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I ain't got none!

Yours in Christ

Matt

2. Matt Black

Site Supporter

For me, the problem is that Sola scriptura is ultimately sine ecclesia . It's a guy reading a book on his own. What happens then to "Wherever two or three are gathered together, there am I in the midst of them..."? So it's also a guy who's one short of a quorum for the Church. There's no such thing as a one-man church. So in that sense too, sola Scriptura is at war with solus Christus. To be SS is, in a profound sense, to be "One Christian short of the Church..."

Yours in Christ

Matt

3. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Men hunger for inerrancy and inerrancy always eludes them.

We place preachers in the pulpits and go listen to their sermons and yet we find them to admit that although God helps them with their sermons they aren't inerrent. Hungering for inerrancy, some elevate the papacy to speaking infallibly ex cathedra, some consider their ayatolloh or guru to be infallible, but we all know such longings are falsely placed.

We translate the scriptures from the original languages as best we can and look for inerrancy there and we are dissapointed. Some will claim their translation is inerrant and will post logic-bending arguements in the KJVO threads on this very board but most of us realize that all translations must inevitably make interpretations here and there and are not granted inerrancy in making those interpretations.

We look for inerrancy in our greek and hebrew texts . . . and we find that the copyists, over the centuries, have made transcription errors. What's an inerrancy hungering bible student to do? Declare a particular copy inerrant, that's what, and we find that there are some people claiming the "textus receptus" is indeed that inerrant version, but there arguments are normally acknowledged to be arbitrary by everybody else . . .

So the original documents are left, and they are what the inerrancy hungering seeker finally pins his hope upon, only they aren't available . . .

But that leads me to ask the question

What difference would it make if God in His respect for humanity allowed humans to introduce a teeny bit of error in recording His inspiration at the time of the original documents just as much as he allowed a teeny bit of error in the textual transmission and a teeny bit of error in the translations and a teeny bit of error in the expositroy presentation of the meaning of the Word?

4. Matt Black

Site Supporter

None at all - unless you elevate inerrancy to a 'be all and end all' doctrine, in which case any errors one might discover would shake your faith to the roots; that is why, of course, some people here get dreadfully scared when that is even hinted at and have to resort to labelling others to make themselves feel better about life - they place all their eggs in one basket in that they place their faith in a book rather than a Person. But we are not called upon to have faith in the Bible or in inerrancy but in Jesus Christ crucified and resurrected and, whilst I do encounter God in the Bible, my primary - and I believe more valid - locus of encounter is the Incarnation.

Yours in Christ

Matt

5. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God's nature is being debased by your points of debate.

God is all powerful or ominpotent.

God is all knowing or omniscient.

God is everywhere present or omnipresent.

God is eternal.

God says that He cannot lie. Therefore, since Jesus is God and since Jesus says that God's word is truth, The Holy Bible is perfect, or without error--error being a lie or error being not the truth as truth is an absolute.

cmg

6. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Gene said, "What difference would it make if God in His respect for humanity allowed humans to introduce a teeny bit of error in recording His inspiration at the time of the original documents just as much as he allowed a teeny bit of error in the textual transmission and a teeny bit of error in the translations and a teeny bit of error in the expositroy presentation of the meaning of the Word?"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the difference brother.
    "teeny bit of error"
    +
    "teeny bit of error"
    +
    "teeny bit of error"
    +
    "teeny bit of error"
    =
    Heresy, cultism, anti-christ, false doctrine.

That's the difference!

Your first mistake in this quote of yours I posted was to claim God has respect for humanity. God is no respecter of persons. Not one bit.

In HIS service;
    Jim

7. Paul of Eugene

Well, assuming one is always right because of inerrance vs assuming one could be wrong based on unknown sources of error and one had better be careful. . . which is better?

8. Paul of Eugene

I submit that assuming one is right because of inerrancy has resulted in justification for innumerable wrongs through history, including persecution of our baptist forebearers for the sin of refusing to baptize their babies and including the decsision of true believing muslims to take their own life and thereby cause the death of infidels in a suicide bombing.

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

You're right -- there is no such thing as a one-man church.

But what you quoted about "two or three gathered together" has nothing to do with that. That comes from Matt. 18 and has to do with church discipline. The "two or three" refer to the witnesses gathered together to confront and discipline a fellow believer about a sin.

10. Matt Black

Site Supporter

You and I have already been over the dead horse, flaw in the logic of your above argument and strawman of the difference between 'inerrant' and 'truthful' here...

Yours in Christ

Matt

11. Matt Black

Site Supporter

I'm sure this is a Dead Horse, too, but sola scriptura isn't really possible(IMHO - isn't it itself a tradition?). In fact, my argument is that sola scriptura is an example of a doctrine that's non-biblical . Since the books of the New Testament were written mostly (if not all) before the Hebrew canon was set, how can they contain any concept of the Bible as we think of it today? Unless we want to adopt something like the Muslim view, where the Sacred Text is pre-existent in heaven and merely dictated to the humans who wrote it down...

Yours in Christ

Matt

12. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With all due respect, what has The Holy Bible to do with homocide bombers?

13. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Without error--

Is an attribute of God--also of His Word.

The error comes in when fallen man tries to bring God to the human level and define, analyze, and criticize that which is Divine.

Without an infallible standard, there is no basis for discussion in matters religious.

Selah,

Bro. James

14. Paul of Eugene

With all due respect, what has The Holy Bible to do with homocide bombers? </font>[/QUOTE]Oh, they use the Koran for their infallible guidance, of course.

15. Paul of Eugene

Spoken ex-cathedra, of course :D

16. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me see....

The Islamists say that the Koran is infallible and they are wrong because it causes homocide bombing, therefore, Christians must be wrong that The Holy Bible is infallible.

I would call that an error in logic.

17. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

In the Bible every "alleged error" has always been accounted for and answered. There are no errors in the Bible. It is inspired by God. It is infallible.

The Muslims may say the same thing about the Koran, but are unwilling to hold the Koran up for such scrutiny. The fact is that there are many factual errors in the Koran. G. Archer has at least three pages of documented errors and historical inaccuracies in an appendix in the back of his Introduction to the Old Testament. An inspired book would not be so full of errors and inaccuracies.
    The same holds true for the stories of the Book of Mormon, also claimed to be Scripture.
    DHK

19. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think you are viewing this too woodenly, Matt. The issue is whether the Bible is God's word or not. If it is God's word, then that makes it a final authority. It has nothing to do with finding a verse that says "The Bible is inerrant," because, of course, the whole Bible was not complete when most books were written.

That is why I don't like to use terms like Sola Scriptura if I can avoid it, because those terms come laden with straw man arguments by opponents of this view.

The Bible is God's word or it isn't. And it's the final authority or it isn't. That's the decision. If it is, then it is a final authority unless one wants to argue, on the one hand, that someone like the Pope or the hierarchical church has authority over or equal to that, or, on the other hand, that one can follow the guidance of the HS over the Bible (of course, the HS will not contradict the Bible but some people claim to get additional "revelations").

So if say the Bible is not the final authority, then who or what is?

20. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is an interesting statement, Marcia, by Rob Bowman. I think that it pertains to your wise question, "So if say the Bible is not the final authority, then who or what is?":

Those who refuse to regard Scripture as their ultimate authority must and do put something else in its place – typically the Church or their religious organization or modern prophet, or their reason, or their own spiritual experiences or intuitions. May we conclude that Roman Catholics are guilty of ecclesiolatry, for example?