1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where is "worship" one of the purposes of the assembly?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by PrimePower7, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brother Bob
    1. fearing God, worship?
    Answer:
    Hebrews 12:28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with Reverence and godly fear:

DHK: Worship is giving God his worth, adoration that is due to him and him alone. It is not receiving a kingdom which this verse speaks about. This has nothing to do with worship. It speaks of receiving a kingdom (though it be done WITH fear) is not fearing God nor is it worship. You missed the point entirely. I didn't ask about fearing God. I asked about worship. This verse doesn't speak about worship. It speaks about receiving a kingdom. There is no worship here.

Then you deny scripture. It says a "godly" fear. You just keep digging don't you?
    With Reverence, you do know what that means don't you DHK???

Quote:
    2. Keeping his commandments, worship?

Answer:
    Love the Lord thy God and Him only shalt thou serve.
    Mar 10:19Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.
    He that is guilty of one, is guilty of all.]

DHK: The statement was ALL his commandments. There is no worship in keeping his commands. There is no worship in what you have quoted. Simply serving God, doing your duty--being a janitor, etc. is not worship. Worship is giving God his worth, giving him adoration that is due to HIm and Him alone. It is not service. It is not the keeping of his commandments. You have a wrong view of worshiip

Loving God is not worshipping Him? DHK; you need to let it go, you are getting deeper and deeper.

Quote:
    3. Dedicating one's life, worship?

Answer:
    Rom 12:1¶I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, [which is] your reasonable service.

BBob

DHK; Presenting your body as a sacrifice is not worship.
    Giving God his worth; his adoration that is due only to Him is worship.
    You fail in each case Bob. You show your lack of understanding in what true worship is.

You did not give your whole life to the Lord when you accepted Him in your life? What did you say," Lord, I don't love you, but save my dying soul", I will not give you my life, I will keep that for myself. Sheeesh!

Stop digging DHK;

BBob,

#61 Brother Bob, Jul 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2008
  2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I am not Bob. You beating to death an already dead, dead horse.
    You, yourself, in post #51 defined worship, and yet fail to apply the defintion in all that you post. Here is your definition once again:
    Now, here is a Scriptural example of that defintion put into practice:

Revelation 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Nothing that you have said or posted comes even remotely close to what worship is. Learn what worship is. It is giving God his due worth, reverence, or devotion, as all of your definitions state. None of your examples fit with your defintion. Why do you strain at a gnat and try to swallow a camel?
    Learn what worship is!
    Memorize Revelation 4:11

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Revelation 4:10-11 The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying,
    11Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Ok DHK;
    I know you will never acknowledge when you are wrong. I have watched you for some years now, and I can't remember, not one time, you acknowledging being wrong.

What do you think "showing reverence is"?

The Bible clearly states that we are to show reverence to God:

Heb. 12
    28: Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:

29: For our God is a consuming fire.

Lev 19:
    30: Ye shall keep my sabbaths, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD.

Lev. 26:
    2: Ye shall keep my sabbaths, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD.

They were worshipping in a tent.

Jesus, when instructing the disciples how they ought to pray, taught them to address God, "Our Father who art in heaven, "Hallowed be thy name." (Matthew 6:9) Jesus taught that any approach to God should be with reverence and awe. David further said of God, "Holy and reverend is thy name." (Psalm 111:9) Reverence includes solemnity and correct form; however, it is possible to be solemn and correct in outward form and still not be reverent.

Reverence is defined as "a feeling or attitude of deep respect, love, awe, and esteem, as for something sacred; veneration." Some of the synonyms for reverence are "honor, veneration, awe, adoration." (Webster's New Twentieth Century Dictionary)

BBob,

#64 Brother Bob, Jul 10, 2008
  5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And their OT worship Bob, all of their sacrifice and offerings were to be done at the Temple. The Temple of the OT represented the place of God's presence. That is where they could offer sacrifices, and truly worship.

In the NT, the temple is our body (1Cor.6:19,20). You body is the temple of the Holy Ghost. From within ourselves we give the Lord his due worth and glory. It is not in activity that worship comes. It is our devotional life, the time that is deliberately set apart to be alone with God when we can truly worship Him, Who is Creator of all things, to give Him His due worth and adoration. We don't usually do that when going about menial tasks when our mind is occupied with other things. No one here is a "super-saint" if we our honest with ourselves.

We do not continually worship. But it is a good thing to set aside a time to deliberately worship, as the example in Revelation 4:10,11 give us. Follow your own definition of worship Bob. You aren't doing that.

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

How can you go to church and not be in your body DHK;

You are saying in the OT, they could not worship unless they were in the temple, even if it was a tent? Are you saying that? That Abraham could not worship God on the mountain, or Isaac in the wilderness or desert. Couldn't Jacob worship God, when he saw the angels accending and decending, is that what you believe? Are you saying that we cannot worship God in our churches, what is your argument anyway???

I really don't know what you are truly saying. You are saying our bodies are the temple, so we worship God in our bodies. Where have you been lately without your body???

You do not have an argument for your posts. Your body is with you where ever you go. So, why would you want to remove the church building.

BBob,

#66 Brother Bob, Jul 10, 2008
  7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You don't have a good sense for following a conversation. I wasn't speaking of pre-law. We find Abraham worshiping God when He sacrificed, and when there were theophanies, but not all the time.
    I am in my body all the time. But I am not worhiping when I am conversing with my wife am I. I am not worshiping when I am doing many things. I set aside a time to worship God.
    You don't follow a conversation well. Do you even read what I say.
    The early believers never had church buildings. They didn't exist until 250 years after the death of the apostles. Now, according to you the apostles and early believers never worshiped because there were no church buildings, right? Your are being absolutely ridiculous!
    Furthermore, I said that worship is not primarily in a church building.
    I said that I don't go to church to worship; but I did not say that I don't encounter worship or don't worship when I am there. The primary purpose of an assembly gathering together is for the shepherd to feed the flock of God.
    That is what the Scripture states. Do you deny this simple truth?
    That is not called worship. If it is, then demonstrate it with Scripture.

Worship is giving God His due worth--the adoration that is due Him and Him alone. Why can't you stick with your own definition. It seems to me that you are filled with contradictions.

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brother Bob
    How can you go to church and not be in your body DHK;

You are saying in the OT, they could not worship unless they were in the temple, even if it was a tent? Are you saying that? That Abraham could not worship God on the mountain, or Isaac in the wilderness or desert. Couldn't Jacob worship God, when he saw the angels accending and decending, is that what you believe? Are you saying that we cannot worship God in our churches, what is your argument anyway???

DHK: You don't have a good sense for following a conversation. I wasn't speaking of pre-law. We find Abraham worshiping God when He sacrificed, and when there were theophanies, but not all the time.

Well, let use Moses then when he was with God on the mountain, did he worship Him?

Quote:
    I really don't know what you are truly saying. You are saying our bodies are the temple, so we worship God in our bodies. Where have you been lately without your body???
    I am in my body all the time. But I am not worhiping when I am conversing with my wife am I. I am not worshiping when I am doing many things. I set aside a time to worship God.

Pray always without ceasing. You are supposed to have a prayer in your heart always. Guess who that prayer is too??

Quote:
    You do not have an argument for your posts. Your body is with you where ever you go. So, why would you want to remove the church building.

DHK; BBob,
    You don't follow a conversation well. Do you even read what I say.
    The early believers never had church buildings. They didn't exist until 250 years after the death of the apostles. Now, according to you the apostles and early believers never worshiped because there were no church buildings, right? Your are being absolutely ridiculous!

I challenge you to show me where I ever said you could not worship anyplace. I will try to go back and get the post where I said you could worship in your car.

Post #48 Found it!!
    DHK; Furthermore, I said that worship is not primarily in a church building.
    I said that I don't go to church to worship;
    If some young brother said this, I might be more apt to understand, but I doubt it. Coming from you is shocking!!!

DHK; but I did not say that I don't encounter worship or don't worship when I am there. The primary purpose of an assembly gathering together is for the shepherd to feed the flock of God.

So, you are one of the few who can feed the sheep on his own. I see several on TV, that think they are feeding the sheep, but then, oh well, have you got any money??

DHK; That is what the Scripture states. Do you deny this simple truth?
    That is not called worship. If it is, then demonstrate it with Scripture.

Anytime you esteem God as someone you can go to as your Heavenly Father, that is worship, sorry you can't see that, NO! I am amazed!!

DHK; Worship is giving God His due worth--the adoration that is due Him and Him alone. Why can't you stick with your own definition. It seems to me that you are filled with contradictions. Why, do you take the credit sometimes. I always give God the credit, even for each breath I take. Know what? that is worship, also.

It is you who can't stick with your definitions, you run all the way back before the Law, and should know that all I would do is move forward with someone else.

Worshipping God is the same yesterday, today and forever more, for God changes not.

BBob,

#68 Brother Bob, Jul 10, 2008
  9. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

Are you a "fallen from gracer"?

I'm sorry. I expected people that believe in eternal security on a Baptist Board.

10. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

wresting the Scripture

I never contested that they met (your first bold).

I don't think you go to the temple any more, do you? (2nd bold)

Praising God is probably not to be understood in a corporate sense with a worship leader and overheads and hymnbooks. These people may have actually praised God without meeting to do it! (3rd bold)

11. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

ok....

And what does that have to do with worship?

12. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

I agree

There is definitely more of an understanding for this in the record of Acts "apostles' doctrine"

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

True. You are back-peddling somewhat.
    The fact is that you don't worship all the time.
    You don't worship at the times when I originally challenged you.
    You don't worship when you converse with your wife.
    You don't worship when you sin; and you do.

You may be in your body but you don't worship all the time.
    The Bible gives the command: Pray without ceasing.
    It is a command and a goal at the same time. If you are truthful with yoursel you know that you don't keep that command. You know that when you have a thought that enters your mind that isn't a Godlly thought that you are not praying. If you are even speaking to someone about a secular subject you are not praying. You are one of the most unrealistic person I have tried to debate.

You don't worship all the time. Admit it Bob.
    Most people set aside a time to be alone with God. In that time, they, like Elijah, (a man of like passion such as we) offered "effectual fervent prayer" that availed much. You don't do that all the time. You don't do as the elders in heaven did:

Revelation 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.
    --You don't do that 24/7 do you? That is true worship--giving God worth. "Thou art worthy, O Lord..."
    That is true worship. How much time do you spend worshiping God; truly worshiping God according to your definition.

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I wish I could worship all the time, but that is a red herring and not what we are discussing at all. A prayer in the heart always, could be a possibility, being the Holy Ghost is in there.

Now the statement you made "I do not go to church to worship" is what is wrong with most of our churches. Many only came to socialize, ask for help, eat the food (as they did the the Lord's day), find a girl friend, anything other than worship and your statement does not help the churches one bit.

BBob,

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The fact is: I don't go to church to worship (though there may be a small part of the service devoted to worship--the singing of the hymns and prayer).
    I go to church to be fed. The shepherd feeds the sheep. That is the purpose of the believers gathering.
    That is the command that Christ gave Peter: Feed my sheep.
    That is the command that Peter gave the Ephesian elders (Acts 20:28)

The purpose of the local church is that the Shepherd ought to be feeding the sheep. Our worship ought to be done privately.
    Even Jesus said in Mat.6:6,7 to "enter into your own closet (bedroom) and when you are alone (in secret), pray to your Father in secret, and your Father which hears you in secret shall reward you openly.
    --That is a very clear statement of how our worship ought to be private.

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Do you thank God for your natural food DHK ??

BBob,

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Look at your defintion of worship Bob. Why are you so reluctant to do so, and why do you avoid my questions?
    Even in giving thanks for food, I do not necessarily give praise, adoration, and the worth that God alone is due. I give thanks for the food, which strictly speaking is not worship.
    Define worship again.
    Understand what it is. Most people don't know what worship is.
    It is apparent that you are one of them.

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

O worship the King, all glorious above,
    O gratefully sing His power and His love;
    Our Shield and Defender, the Ancient of Days,
    Pavilioned in splendor, and girded with praise.

O tell of His might, O sing of His grace,
    Whose robe is the light, whose canopy space,
    His chariots of wrath the deep thunderclouds form,
    And dark is His path on the wings of the storm.

The earth with its store of wonders untold,
    Almighty, Thy power hath founded of old;
    Established it fast by a changeless decree,
    And round it hath cast, like a mantle, the sea.

Thy bountiful care, what tongue can recite?
    It breathes in the air, it shines in the light;
    It streams from the hills, it descends to the plain,
    And sweetly distills in the dew and the rain.

Frail children of dust, and feeble as frail,
    In Thee do we trust, nor find Thee to fail;
    Thy mercies how tender, how firm to the end,
    Our Maker, Defender, Redeemer, and Friend.

O measureless might! Ineffable love!
    While angels delight to worship Thee above,
    The humbler creation, though feeble their lays,
    With true adoration shall all sing Thy praise.

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/o/w/owtking.htm

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You need to get your story straight DHK, and quit changing all the time.
    Rev 11:16 And the four and twenty elders, which sat before God on their seats, fell upon their faces, and worshipped God,

Rev 11:17 Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned.

Col 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, [do] all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

You own words trip you up DHK;

BBob,

#79 Brother Bob, Jul 10, 2008
  20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I have been very consistent. You haven't answered my posts or questions. You go around in circles. You do it here again

Of course you realize that this is not the passage that I quoted. You are reluctant to answer it. Why?
    The 24 elders both worshiped and gave thanks. Now that is not difficult is it. No only did they give thanks they went on to give Him more praise and worship. The speak more of His power and His sovereignty. They praise Him for the attributes that God alone has. Learn what worship is.

Strictly speaking this has nothing to do with worship.
    Learn what worship is.