1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where oh where is the Sabbath?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by prophecynut, Jun 24, 2005.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

2. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Christ Says to the Apostles - The FIRST leaders of the NT Church "THE SABBATH WAS MADE for MANKIND" Mark 2:27 and of course PN wants to "ignore that" detail.

PAul says THERE REMAINS therefore Sabbath rest for the people of God" Heb 4 and of course PN wants to "IGNORE" that text.

Rev 12 says the saints of GOD KEEP God's commandments and of course PN wants to "ignore" that text.

Isaiah 66 says ALL MANKIND comes BEFORE GOD to worship from Sabbath to Sabbath in the New Earth (See Rev 21 for WHEN the NEW Earth is setup) and STILL PN wants to pretend that the church is NOT among ALL MANKIND or NOT worshipping GOD as scripture shows them to do!!

What more can be said??

Even D.L Moody got this!!

In Christ,

Bob

3. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

Bob still hasn't given evidence of God commanding the Church to keep the Sabbath. Anybody else like to try?

4. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Psalm 89:34:
    My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips.

Acts 13:
    42: And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.
    44: And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

The Apostles in the early New Testament church not only obeyed God's Sabbath command, they also taught the converted Gentiles to worship on Sabbath. Never once do they refer to Sunday as a holy day.

See also Acts 17:2; Acts 13:13, Acts 14;16:13

Luke 16:17
    17: And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.

Christ expected His people to be still keeping the Sabbath in A.D. 70 when Jerusalem was destroyed. Knowing full well that Jerusalem would be destroyed by Rome in A.D. 70, Jesus warned His followers of that time saying, "But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day" Matthew 24:20.

The women who came to annoint Christ's dead body kept the Sabbath . Jesis died on "the day before the Sabbath" Mark 15:37,42, which is not called Good Friday. The women prepared spices and ointments to annoint His body then "rested on the Sabbath day according to the commandment" Luke 23:56.

Only "when the Sabbath was past" (Mark 16:1) did the women come "the first day of the week" (Mark 16:2) to continue their sad work. The found "Jesus was risen early the first day of the week" verse 9, commonly called Easter Sunday. Please note that the Sabbath "according to the commandment" was the day preceeding Easter Sunday, which we now call Saturday.

Christ's follower, Luke wrote two books of the Bible... Luke and Acts. He says that in the book of Luke he wrote about "all" of Jesus' teachings (Acts 1:1-3). But he never wrote about Sundaykeeping or a change of the Sabbath.

Isaiah 66:22,23
    22: For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.
    23: And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.

Deuteronomy 4:2: Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

James 2:10: For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

You ought to go take time to read this about the history of the Sabbath and how it has been kept through the centuries by God's people.

http://www.tagnet.org/llt/sabbath_history.shtml

...and you know, it's silly to begin with, to expect that in the New Testament God is going to say "Okay all you Christians, keep the commandments and remember to also keep the Sabbath too!" Thats stupid! There are plenty of Bible verses in the New Testament where God commands us to "keep the commandments". Over and over again, in fact. Do you really think God is going to say, "okay, keep the commandments... and this mean be sure and realize you STILL CANT KILL PEOPLE, YOU STILL CANT COMMIT ADULTERY..." and so forth. That is just a "given".

Jesus said "The Sabbath was made for man" not just for the Jews. It is not for the Jews only but for all of mankind. -- for all men and women everywhere. The Jewish nation did not even exist until 2,500 years after the Sabbath was instituted. Genesis 1:1;2:2,3

Why do you expect it will reiterate each and every one of them? Thats plain ridiculous, actually to expect that. The burdern of proof really is on the side of proving IT WAS CHANGED.

If I find the time I might come back and say some more..

[ June 24, 2005, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Claudia_T ]

5. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

If you do, please offer credible evidence instead of the typical SDA nonsense. Scripture presented has to be pertinent to the Church Age which is Acts 2-Rev. 4. Stay within those parameters.

6. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Dont you think that if something so huge as God changing the Sabbath Day to Sunday were to have occurred, that someone would've mentioned that?

There're eight texts in the New Testament that mention the first day of the week. Look at them carefully.
    Matthew 28:1
    Mark 16:1, 2.
    Mark 16:9.
    Luke 24:1.
    John 20:1.
    John 20:19.
    Acts 20:7, 8.
    1 Corinthians 16:1, 2.
    The first five texts simply state that the women came to the sepulcher early on the resurrection morning, and that Jesus rose from the dead.
    Now look up John 20:19 in your Bible. It tells us that Jesus appeared to the disciples later on the resurrection day. It says that the reason they were assembled was "for fear of the Jews."
    They were scared. No telling when the Jews might grab them and treat them to the same fate as their Master. They were hiding.
    They had seen their beloved Master die on Friday. They "returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the Sabbath day according to the commandment." Luke 23:56. And now they're hiding with the doors shut "for fear of the Jews." John 20:19.
    There's no mention of a change.
    The seventh text is Acts 20:7, 8. It says "and upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight. And there were many lights in the upper chamber, where they were gathered together."
    This was a night meeting — the dark part of the first day of the week. In Bible reckoning, the dark part of the day comes before the light part. Genesis 1:5 — "and God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day." The dark part comes first.
    The Bible reckons a day from sunset to sunset.
    The seventh day begins at sunset Friday evening. The first day of the week begins sunset Saturday evening.

Paul is together with his friends on the dark part of the first day of the week — Saturday night. This is a farewell get-together. He preached until midnight, when poor Eutychus falls out the window. (Acts 20:9).
    You can imagine how relieved they were when it was found that God spared his life. Verse eleven says that they talked till the break of day and then Paul departed. Verse thirteen shows that Paul spent that Sunday morning traveling to Assos.
    There's nothing here either concerning a change of the Sabbath.
    The New English bible translates this text like this:
    "On the Saturday night, in our assembly for the breaking of bread, Paul, who was to leave the next day, addressed them, and went on speaking until midnight." Acts 20:7.
    The last text mentions the first day of the week in 1 Corinthians 16:1, 2.
    It says — "Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come." Verse three tells that he will bring the offering to Jerusalem.
    As he had done in Galatia, so Paul also requests of those in Corinth to have a collection all ready when he would come to take it to the poor saints in Jerusalem. There's nothing in the text about a church service, but each person is to "lay by him in store." The first day of the week was the best time for the people to set money aside because later in the week it would be spent. That's true today as well! Paul requested this so that "there be no gatherings when I come." 1 Corinthians 16:2.
    At this time the Christians are suffering hardship in Jerusalem and Paul is making his rounds to the churches taking up a collection for them. (We should be that thoughtful today).
    There's nothing in this text either about a change of God's Sabbath to Sunday.
    Concerning worship, what was Paul's custom?
    Here it is.
    "And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three Sabbaths reasoned with them out of the scriptures." Acts 17:2.
    Jesus, as our example also had the custom of attending church on Saturday, the seventh day. (Luke 4:16).

The great time prophecies of the Bible have all been fulfilled on schedule. Thus the accuracy and dependability of God's word are firmly established.

APPENDIX 11

THE CEREMONIAL LAW
    AND
    THE TWO COVENANTS

The distinction between the Moral law of God (the ten commandments), and the ceremonial law is plain.
    Look carefully at the difference in the two. The one with animal sacrifices was nailed to the cross, the other will stand forever.

10 Commandments

1) Is called the "royal law" James 2:8.

2) Was spoken by God.
    Deuteronomy 4:12, 13.

3) Was written with the
    finger of God. Exodus 31:18.

4) Was placed in the ark.
    Exodus 40:20, Hebrew 9:4.

5) Is to "stand forever and ever.
    Psalms 111:7, 8.

6) Was not destroyed by Christ.
    Matthew 5:17 & 18.

Ceremonial Law

1) Is called the law contained in
    ordinances. Ephesians 2:15.

2) Was spoken by Moses.
    Leviticus 1:1-3.

3) Was written by Moses in a
    book. 2 Chronicles 35:12.

4) Was placed in the side of the
    ark. Deuteronomy 31:24-26.

5) Was nailed to the cross.
    Colossians 2:14.

6) Was abolished by Christ.
    Ephesians 2:15.

The two great commandments are "Love the Lord with all thy heart and all thy soul and all thy mind." The second great commandment is "Love your neighbor as yourself." God's ten commandments are hanging on these two. The first four, on the first table, tell us how to love God with all our heart. (Have no other Gods, not worship images, not take God's name in vain, and remember His Sabbath day to keep it holy). the last six, on the second table deal with loving our neighbor as ourselves. (To honor our parents, not kill, not commit adultery, not steal, not lie, not covet).

THE OLD AND NEW COVENANTS

The old covenant was ratified by the blood of animals (Exodus 24:5-8 and Hebrews 9:19,20) and based upon the promises of the people that they would keep God's law.
    The new covenant is based on God's promise to write His law in our hearts and it was ratified with the blood of Christ. (Hebrews 8:10 and Jeremiah 31:33, 34).
    Hebrews 8:10 — "For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put My laws into their minds, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to Me a people."

7. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

"Prophecy Nut",
    I will stay within the parameters which I think are appropriate. If you dont want to accept it then that is your own problem, not mine. How about if YOU tell us all where the Bible says the Sabbath was changed or not to be kept anymore?
    1Jn:2:4: He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

How about if YOU show us all where the Sabbath is somehow not included in that. Who determined that, you?

Rv:14:12: Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Rv:22:14: Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Thanks.

[ June 24, 2005, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Claudia_T ]

8. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

well just going back to read some of the things "Prophecy Nut" has said, I do not want to waste my time on this thread.

Lk:16:29: Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.

Lk:16:31: And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

With some, it would not matter what you said to them if they are determined to view things a certain way and are obviously unreasonable.

I mean if it means nothing to you that Jesus Himself said the Law would never change, then there isnt any reasoning with you.

9. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

By the way, if anybody is expecting to find a Bible verse that says

"Keep my commandments... and this means the 7th day Sabbath too"

or

"Keep my commandments... but be sure to disregard the Sabbath one though"

you just are going to be waiting a very long time to find those verses, because they just arent there, God doesnt trifle with us.

If He says "Keep My Commandments" He REALLY means just what He says.

10. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

It's about time somebody requested this!

The Bible doesn't say it was changed and it doesn't say the church is to keep the Sabbath. According to tradition set by the apostles and prophets of the early church, not the RCC, the first day of the week became the day for worshipping the Lord.

Rev. 14 is prophecy, it will be fulfilled during the Tribulation. It pertains to the tribulation saints who are commanded to endure until they are martyred. Your concept of Rev. comes from your false prophet Mrs. White and since her interpretation of Rev. is really warped I rather not discuss it.

The NIV has: "Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city."

The blessed here are the tribulation saints who come out of the "great tribulation" and who "have wash their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb (7:14). Their deed of washing their robes is symbolic of their martyrdom at the hands of the Antichrist and his followers.

I provided 11 Scriptures where the Hebrews are to keep the Sabbath, yet you failed to give one for the Church.

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How sad that PN has to "keep pretending" not to read these texts of scripture or know what they way! "Only" a very weak argument would have to resort to such pretense to survive as PN is doing.

It is instructive that D.L. Moody's view of this does not require that he pretend such things as PN has to resort to on this subject.

How sad for prophecyNut

In Christ,

Bob

12. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

The final score:

Hebrews 11
    SDA's 0

Both of you have failed to come up the requested Scriptures, thanks for your effort. [​IMG]

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    D.L.Moody - SDA? I don't think so!

But HE did read the Bible!

The list of texts I gave above were not "ignored" by Moody - when HE read the Bible (apparently).

How "instructive".

In Christ,

Bob

14. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

forgot to add these when I was doing some of the old testament verses...

Psalms 111:7,8
    ...all his commandments are sure. They stand fast for ever and ever, and are done in truth and uprightness.

Ex:31:13: Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.

15. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

I came back to help "Prophecy Nut"... I cant believe this but wanted to share with all of you the long lost Bible verse that has eluded people for centuries...

First of all read these three verses...

1Jn:3:4: Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Rom:6:15: What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

1Jn:2:4: He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

...and now that long lost verse...

IIIThessalonians 2:101: But you brethren are now free to break the Seventh Day Sabbath because keeping it would make you a judaizer. Of course though, you must not kill, not steal, not commit adultery, not worship idols and all the rest of the commandments, as was said in IJn:3:4 you must keep. But since Jesus died on the cross, keeping the Sabbath has been obliterated. Thats the only commandment that you may now forget about.

..of course I am just kidding. Sorry to be so silly but this is how absurd this idea is, that somehow God didnt mean the 4th commandment when He says over and over in the New Testament that we have to keep the commandments.

...and no, you will never find such a verse in the Bible ANYWHERE... neither will you find a verse that says the oppposite... that we must keep the Seventh Day Sabbath STILL... that should be taken for granted when God says we need to keep the commandments. Everyone already KNOWS what the ten commandments are...so to ask people to locate such a verse for you is ABSURD.

16. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Matthew 19:
    16: And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
    17: And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
    18: He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
    19: Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Oh darn! Jesus didnt include the 4th commandment in there so I guess that this must mean He was saying that the Sabbath didnt need to be kept.

Ok Im all done being silly.. but it just gets me, the way that some people assume that God is going to always spell each and every commandments out for you ... to the letter... over and over again.

I mean, Jesus already told you:
    Mt:5:18: "For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled."

Heaven and earth are still here, and a jot and tittle means the dotting of an "i" and the crossing of the "t". Not one letter of the law would be done away with... is what Jesus said.

Matthew 5:17: Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

What more do you want?

--anyway I am now all done with this thread... I just couldnt resist showing the absurdity of this idea people seem to have... that God is going to reiterate every single commandment over again in the New Testament... or else we ought to automatically assume we dont need to keep the Sabbath anymore....and that when the Bible says "keep the commandments" we of course need to assume that doesnt mean the 4th one. [​IMG]

17. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

Good news, you're done with this thread.

I win [​IMG]

You lose [​IMG]

18. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

19. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

Matthew 15-3 But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?

This is what you are doing Prophecynut, when you say Sunday is the day. You have been taught that, so it has to be right!!

By the way, you need to get off the SDA's case, because they are not the only ones who keep the Sabbath!!

Matthew 15-7 Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,
    8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
    9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. This is the key phrase here! Men have decided to worship God on sunday. Never mind if the scriptures concur or not. It was done so long ago that people don't care. I think the common thinking is. "if it was good enough for Grandma and Grandpa it's good enough for me".

Jesus had a different idea: Matthew 15-13 But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.
    14 Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

Matthew 23-24 Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.

Peace,

Tam

20. prophecynut

prophecynut New Member

Context Tammy, Context!

15:3,7 refers to the "Pharisees and teachers of the law" (v.1) who were counterfeit Jews and real Jews respectively . Their "traditions" refers to the Talmud written during their 70 year captivity in Babylon and later the mystical cabala, both command strict adherence to the Sabbath just like you and the SDA.

The plants not planted by the "heavenly Father" are the Pharisess and teachers of the law who were rejecting Christ. HELLO!

"It's the old time religion, It's the old time religion, It's the old time religion and it's 'good enough for me'." Traditions in the Talmud were from the devil and not the good old religion established under the apostle Paul.

"Never mind if the scriptures concur or not"
    Have you gone off the deep end, this is pathetic and deserves a :rolleyes: