1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where should one begin?

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by thjplgvp, Jan 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

I find myself in an unusual position having pretty much retired and content with just teaching in our current church my wife and I find ourselves moving back into the field taking a pastorate. The church is small and has only been IFB less than 5 years prior they have a lengthy SBC background but had dwindled to 5 or 6 members when they contacted an older IFB pastor who is now moving on. Where should one begin in the teaching process? I truly understand that the Holy Spirit leads in this type of search but having an idea of where one might start could be a big help to me. There are so many areas where one could go with topical series for Sunday School and Wednesday evening's but I am still praying. I believe Sunday mornings we will go through the Book of John as a solid book to present Christ but I am unsure where to begin in the other services at this time. The church has grown some to around 20 or so now and there is a great opportunity for that growth in a community of 19k people.

If someone has been in this situation before your advice would be appreciated since at this time I have no true direction where to begin from the Lord.

Thank you for your time and thoughts

thjplgvp

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My only advise is do not teach above the understanding of the people. The book of John is outstanding and it is my favorite of all the Scriptures. Personally, I would highlight the contrasts of the life of a believer to that of the unbeliever so that the assembly would understand they are to be as lights in the darkness. That the most important light is not the great chandelier, but that little "night light" (I use "knight" rather than night) that illuminates the darkness so one can find their way rather than stumbling around in the dark.

Perhaps in the evening, allowance for a more informal discussion with question and answer sessions on selected topics of importance to the people would be more helpful. Sort of like what Paul did when writing his letters. Dealing with everyday encountering matters will, by example, help all ages set a level of priority to seek the Scriptures in resolving issues. There may also be some undercurrent problems that emerge in these discussions, and some healing ointment of the Scriptures needing to be applied. According to the OP, the assembly has obviously had some kind of trauma that caused separation.

One assembly, has the Sunday night service as mainly a hymn sing. A time when the leader(s) can share the "story behind a hymn" and focus on one aspect of living for Christ - be it maturity, praise, trust, love ... It was interesting to me how during the week a hymn would come to the mind of the believer and the sermon would more often be forgotten. :)

One church discontinued the "Wednesday evening service" and replaced it with a Saturday helps day. The families would meet in the morning and, according to the need, help each other, the building and grounds, and once those things were taken care of, began a helps outreach to the community.

For example, two men at an assembly were older, but could build ramps over steps for the elderly. Others could change the light-bulbs and filters in the homes of the older folks who could no longer do it themselves. Others would take some folks grocery shopping. Those that had children would have a parent child fun day at the park and invite others from the community to join them. The list goes on, but the impact was that the church became more of a functioning body in the community, and more lives touched in most practical ways. Amazing how helping others also translated into the assembly forgiving and ability to again love each other.

Anyway, these are just my random thoughts, but God has given you great experience, and greater the desire to serve Him. He, therefore, will give the wisdom and understanding necessary to do the work.

Are you staying in Oklahoma?

3. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Thank you for the advice my friend. I believe the Lord has led me to teach a series of lessons on choices based on the steps of mature growth in 2 Peter 1:5-8 beginning with add to your faith virtue. My view is that after one is saved and before one gets much knowledge he should be a consistent practice of moral excellence which is developed on ones life by making solid moral choices to do right. Therefore the series will just be entitled Choices. Wednesday evening I believe the Lord has led me to go back Genesis which will be the 4th time in my ministry I will have taught through the book of Genesis.

The idea of helping people corporately falls in line with making excellent moral choices (virtue) and putting those choices into practice I really like that idea and thank you for it.

It was a pleasure to finally see a response. :) thank you contributing.

If we accept the call we will move to Illinois while keeping our home in Oklahoma. I have spoken to our pastor about using it as a missions home for the duration of our stay in Illinois.

thjplgvp

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Conventional wisdom says if teaching in the NT on Sunday morning, then teach from the OT for the other "service." My favorite study subject is "how to study the bible." For years I thirsted to delve into God's word but lacking higher education I was in need of "discipleship." Once you engender a bunch of Bereans, able to check what you say, you are on your way to a healthy family of believers. BTW, it was an older, semi-retired Pastor that awoke our ingrown church and initiated more than a ten fold growth. He did not see it, the Lord called him home, but he will be surrounded by a cloud of many witnesses.

5. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Van, what is your study method? What did this man teach as far as how to study? I'd be interested.

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. BryanMatthew

BryanMatthew New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd like to know what happened. This is an interesting story and I hope you found the right way to approach your situation.

It seems you had a plan to talk about "choices" which was an effort to help people grow.

My thoughts are that if they are small and new to IFB you should teach on the fundamentals and help them get to an understanding of what an IFB is. I admit, this could be wrong, but teach on the reliability & literal interpretation of the KJV Bible. Teach on dispensationalism, sactification, once saved always saved, heaven, hell, sharing the gospel with others, creation v. evolution.

I've visited churches that are not fundamental and they teach practical things like being the light of the world, being a good example, trusting God, typical Charles Stanley style sermons. Only the IFB churches preach on heave & hell and the infallibility of God's word.

Anyway, hope you're doing great over there. Godbless.

7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This two year old zombie thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.