1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where the word of God was before 1611!

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by BrianT, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Not fair to answer a question with a question! But simple enough, so . . God gave His Word, guided men to write it, and preserved it in those documents and copies of them. Man might have added/subtracted, misspelled (is that spelled right?) etc, but we have hundreds of copies of these originals.

Man can then compare, contrast, evaluate, etc and compile a text accurate to the original. THEN it may be translated into whatever language.

He didn't wait until 1611 to preserve it in English! Anyone who has studied Greek comes away amazed at how much more detailed and exact that language is compared to Hebrew (or English). God chose wisely!

Clear enough?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Thank you Dr. Bob. [​IMG]

2. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    you forgot the Great Bible. That equals seven and therefore the KJV is #8. So the KJV is not the seventh purification -duh! 8 not= 7.

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How then DID God preserve His Word. What does the Bible SAY about it?

You and I might have "faith" that God preserved it, but the basis of that faith had better be in the revealed Word!

Sorry I took so long to answer, but here we go:

Faith comes by hearing, and hearing, by the word of God.

I once asked my dad if this wasn't circular reasoning; how did he KNOW the Bible is the word of God? He said, "You've said there is a Supreme Being, that the universe and the life upon earth didn't just come from a chance mix of certain elements, that quarks, the most basic elementary particles known, didn't just will themselves into existence. Well, only the collection of works that we call the Bible claims to be His messages to all mankind, and of all the prophecies ever made in the history of man, only those in the Bible have come 100% true right down the line so far. The existence of a sovereign Jewish nation in possession of Jerusalem should tell you something. I'm old enough to remember that the idea of a sovereign Jewish nation in their old territory again was a seemingly-impossible dream, but God accomplished what man could not, in accordance with His word. And for me, it started with FAITH IN JESUS CHRIST when I believed the Bible is God's word to mankind. Having faith that Jesus is Lord, Savior, and God led me to believe that His words as recorded in Scripture are indeed His words rendered into my language. And Jesus quoted OT Scripture frequently. He also said, 'Heaven & earth shall passaway, but My words shall never pass away.' He also said,'Scripture cannot be broken'."

"Then, there's the history of the Bible. Ever since God first gave any of His word to us, it's been in continuous use. Father passed it to son; friend passed it to friend. yes, I know the Q'ran has been more or less in constant use since its writing, but the Bible was already quite old by then, and since then, only the prophecies in the BIBLE have come to pass, while those in any other "holy book" have either passed their time limits or are so broad that almost anything can be cited as their fulfillment."

Dad then showed me the LITERAL fulfillment that the site of Tyre would become a place for fishermen to spread their nets. He pointed out the many literal fulfillments of other prophecies & challenged me to match the Bible's "track record" with any other "holy book".

"Therefore, son, when you read the Bible, you can have faith that it's indeed God's word to man."

I wasn't saved at the time. But, because of the prayers of Mom & Dad, and many other Christians who cared about me, and the LOVE, GRACE, AND PATIENCE OF JESUS CHRIST I was saved Thanxgiving day, 1979. And with my faith in Jesus as savior, Lord, and God came the faith that the Bible is His messages to all mankind.

What does the Bible say about God's word? Well, God told Moses to write His commandments, then He told Moses to write for Joshua, in a book, His remembrance to destroy Amalek. He told various other of His prophets, such as jeremiah, to write His words. The OT had been established as Scripture long before Jesus came, so there's no questioning its authority. The words of Jesus that he wanted preserved are Scripture, of course, and Peter declared Paul's epistles Scripture. And long before this, David knew that God's words(to mankind) were already settled in heaven forever.

Thus, I have full faith that God has preserved and presented His words to us as He has chosen.

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Originally posted by Anti-Alexandrian:

Well duh!!! It said His words....Him is singular,them is plural!! Thusly proving that Psalm 12:6-7 is correct;the seventh purification...The KJB is correct...

Ok, for the sake of argument, let's assume Ps. 12:6-7 ARE about God's words, and deal with this "7th purification" hooey by closely examining Ps. 12:6 as presented in the KJV:

The words of the LORD are pure words:

I believe everyone here agrees. God's words are pure from the gitgo.

as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times

First, the word "tried" here doesn't mean "attempted". It means, "melted, in order to remove impurities and/or to make the desired alloy by adding other elements". To purify silver in those times, the metalsmith would get it hot as possible while protecting it from exposure to the atmosphere as best he could, stir it with a stick, and skim off the slag with a wooden spoon.(Wood was used because any of it getting into the silver would simply burn to vapor w/o adding any impurity to the silver.) Doing this seven times would get the silver pure as possible, even by today's standards.

The key word here is "AS". David says God's words are AS pure as silver that has been purified 7 times. David is simply presenting an example of something tangible and easily understood be anyone as a standard of purity, and comparing the purity of God's words to that tangible, easily-understood standard.

**as** silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times

I repeat this clause of the sentence for emphasis. Please read it VERY CLOSELY. It is *NOT* God's words that are purified 7 times, it's the SILVER. The sentence has a comma after,'earth' for a pause in the sentence before the finishing of the predicate, NOT to begin a new subject. The predicate of this clause has two verbs, 'tried' & 'purified', but only ONE subject-'SILVER'.

This "purification" garbage is simply a sideshow by some Onlyists who are trying to explain away the fact that God had preserved His word in several English versions before the KJV was made. If God has preserved His word on earth from the time He first presented any given part of it to man, then it stands to reason that He's preserved it in English from the time that He first gave it in English. And it needed NO purification-God "gets it right" the first time, every time.

Now, Onlyists, is the Geneva Bible a valid version or not? If not, why not?