1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where was Jesus during the 3 days after he was crucified?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Dec 28, 2007.

1. standingfirminChrist

The OT saints were not in Heaven, TaliOrlando. The yearly blood sacrifices were not enough to satisfy the debt of sin.

Christ came to be the one and only sacrifice that could pay for the sins of the world.

Paradise was before the cross, Heaven's gates were opened after the cross.

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

He was seen at McD's... :laugh: :laugh:

Let's just say the big mac didn't agree with Him... :BangHead:

3. larryjf

larryjf New Member

How could they escape Hell if their faith was not sufficient to trust in the sacrifice to come for the covering of their sins? You are suggesting that their sins were not atoned for, yet they ended up in Paradise.

They weren't saved because of the blood of the lambs, they were saved because it pointed to the blood of the Savior. As they looked past the lambs to what they forshadowed, they were saved by their faith in that Savior.

His sacrifice is not something that is only good for the generation that He lived in, it is an eternal sacrifice that reaches even back to the saints of the OT.

4. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

:laugh:

That made me laugh... it caught me off guard.

5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Standing firminchrist, post 2 -- who needs more or better. The heretic concept of Christ going to hell AFTER He died, is from hell.

6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Originally Posted by standingfirminChrist
    John 20:17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

I do not believe He had ascended to the Father prior to His resurrection. Scripture tells us He did not.

Larryjf,
    He did not "ascend" as in go up in His resurrected body in glory, but He certainly was with the Father. There is no way that Christ can be separated from the Father without doing violence to the Trinity.

The circumstance of Jesus' appearance explains: Mary stands at the grave's door and looks inside; sees the two angels, asks them if they don't know where Jesus' body had been taken to. She TURNS away from the door, and sees the gardener for Jesus. Jesus greets her; she recognises Him; TURNS - the literal Greek - away from Him (in shock apparently). Jesus tells her, Don't stay as clung to Me, I send you to go proclaim the Risen Christ, go straight on! There was no touching; no literal clinging; no not letting go of. It was the Gospel Command!

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Christ was the Lamb slain before the foundation of the world. The OT saints had their sin covered by Christ's blood even before He actually died at a specific point in time.

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

The OT souls that died in faith went to be with the Lord having not yet received their robes of white, which comes from the blood of the Lamb. When Jesus died, the fountain was opened to the house of David, for sin and uncleanliness and half flowed to the hinder sea, and half to the former sea. When Jesus died, the souls that are with the Lord, received the promise of God and got their White Robes, from the Messiah, and are at rest until the resurrection, when they will have both their soul and bodies clothed in White. It was the promise of God being fulfilled. When Jesus died and said "touch me not for I have not yet accended unto the Father", He meant that He had to accend to the Father, and present the "atonement" His blood, to His Father for sin. Then He came back to complete, giving His Gospel to His Apostles, as "now go ye into all the world and preach the Gospel to every creature, and he that believeth and is baptized shall be saved, he that believeth not, shall be damned. After around Forty days, He accended to Heaven, and sat down on the right hand of God, where He is our High Priest forever, which is called the "Holiest place of all", not a shadow of it, but the real thing.

BBob,

#28 Brother Bob, Dec 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2007
  9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I see you are in Zec 14...

Are you also coming from;

Rev 6:9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Yes...........:)

11. kturner25

kturner25 New Member

Didn't Jesus experience a separation from the Father when He was crucified? That's why he said "My God, my God, why have you forsaken Me?"

I've always understood that Jesus, the sinless One took on our sins and God the Father poured out His wrath on Him. At that time the Father and Son were separated.

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

They had to come together in some way or form to finish his work. He was 100 percent God and 100 percent man. There was a reason for Him saying "touch me not for I have not yet ascended to the Father" or "cling to me", whatever.

I know the Law was a shadow of things to come and under the Law, the High Priest went behind the second veil into the holiest place of all to make the blood offering for sin.

Jesus was the real thing and not a shadow and passed through the veil to make an offering for our sins forever. I think He met the Father someway, but don't have scripture to prove it. It was eight days before He appeared unto the apostles. Just my thoughts on the matter, He didn't say the words for nothing. It will not change the doctrine anyway, ever how it happened.

BBob,

13. larryjf

larryjf New Member

No, Jesus as a person can't be separated from the rest of the Godhead, because He has the nature of God fully within His person....at all times.

Jesus was quoting Scripture. And that Scripture, when read fully, is prophetic of Christ and how He had to suffer (Ps 22).

Also, we must distinguish the context of what it means to be separated from God at all. After all, God is omnipresent...we are never really away from His presence. That's why He is present even to those who are burning in Hell...

Rev 14:10 - ...he will be tormented with fire and sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb.

So being separated from God means being separate from His good pleasure and grace. And in that sense Christ was separated...He was under God's wrath instead of His favor. That is something that Christ, even before His incarnation, had never experienced before. What a terrible thing for Him to have to go through that kind of wrath on our behalf from His loving Father.

14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The tree days after Jesus died, does that mean during his being dead in the grave?

Anyhow, if the allusion is to the old heresy He went as if alive into a burning inferno after He died, nothing is to say but that the idea is wicked fantacy.

Jesus' while suffering death and dying, 'descended into hell', alive and FULLY conscious!

I did not understand or believe this until the Lord converted me to pure and established Reformed Faith. The Confession does not follow a chronological, but culminating order of the Lord's suffering. He tasted hell until and before He gave His spirit to the Father in dying death John Owen put it most strinkingly: it was "the death of death in the death of Christ", that moment!

15. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Russian Orthodox iconology the Nativity portrays a Child clad in vestiary for burial.

16. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I always say I believe this earth is the centre of the universe, and most times I am laughed at. Where is up, or, down? Is hell up, or down? No! Hell is where God is not, and heaven is where God is. God is not where heaven as we may think of it, is. He cannot be limited.
    Therefore I believe when Jesus was raised from the dead, He was raised by, and in, the Full Fellowship of God-Tri-Une, The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, so that the Presence of God was concentrated in heaven upon earth in the tomb of Joseph on the planet called Earth, 2000 something years ago and all the Eternal Being of God was concentrated in the single moment "when suddenly (kai idou) there was a great earthquake and the angel of the Lord descended and flung away the stone from the grave and sat on it - and Christ was raised and went out of the grave and death. God came down and was on earth in Christ and made that place in space His highest Throne of Glory - "His Right Hand in heavenly realms".

17. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I believe that Jesus "was resting" in "Paradise" from the moment he dies until the moment he was resurrected. And I admit that I am not exactly sure what that rest actually entailed -whether he was conscious or not - but I do not think he was "doing anything".

Part of the reason for this belief is Jesus' "it is finished" statement on the Cross. I cannot see one can argue that Jesus was doing anything at all of significance after that time. Sin had been condemned in his flesh (Romans 8:3) and the suffering was over.

Another reason is my belief that there is a "parallel" between the 7 day Genesis account and the last week of Jesus' life:

1. Adam is created on day 6 (Friday, if you will). Jesus is presented to crowd by Pilate who declares "Behold the man" on day 6 as well. I think there is a strong implied connection here - Jesus is the "last Adam", the place where the curse of Adam will be dealt with.

2. God rests on day 7 from his creative work in the Genesis account. I think that Jesus also rests on that day 7 (one needs to read point number 3 for further explication of this parallel between Genesis and the events associated with the crucifixion and resurrection);

3. On the first day of the new week, Jesus is raised. And he is mistaken for the gardener. I think there is significance in this mistaken identity. In a sense, Jesus is the gardener. The renewal of creation has begun - the process of restoring "Eden" has begun. On day one of the Genesis account, God begins his work. On day one of a new week, Jesus is raised and, in a sense, God begins to work again. Jesus is Lord and the project of restoring the world has begun. In the Old Testament, there is a theme that new covenant is always associated with new creation.

I think it is entirely plausible to look at this pattern and assert that, like God in the Genesis account, Jesus rests on day 7.

18. larryjf

larryjf New Member

I hope that you are not suggesting that God is not omnipresent.

19. bound

bound New Member

An Omnipresent God cannot not be somewhere, even Hell. Perhaps in Hell His presence is not 'felt' or perhaps His presence is felt as fire but if we are to conclude that our God is Omnipresent, He must be present 'everywhere'.

I do believe that are some Psalms which might suggest this assertion.

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I agree, His hell was being confined to the cross, while being crucified.

BBob,