1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Where we have come to

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by stilllearning, Feb 26, 2010.

1. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

A while back, I was preaching in 1 Timothy, and dealt with the question of the Bible’s treatment of slavery.

The answer is......
    (Although the Bible condemns racial based slavery, it treats economic based slavery as it is: Just a necessary fact of life. I.e. Some poor people have to sell themselves to be slaves, in order to survive.)

Well a few months later, a friend sent me a link, entitled something like “Answering tough Bible questions”, and I looked into it, and saw that it also dealt with this question.

I could not believe the way it answered this “tough question”........
    “If the writers of the New Testament had attacked the institution of slavery directly, the gospel would have been identified with a radical political cause at a time when the abolition of slavery was unthinkable. To directly appeal for the freeing of slaves would have been inflammatory and a direct threat to the social order.”

In other words, God didn’t give the apostles the books found in the New Testament, but they wrote them, using their own understanding:
    And in order to be politically correct, they didn’t deal with the issue of slavery!?!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Here is the entire article.......
    http://www.rbc.org/questionsDetail.aspx?id=46110&Topic=754

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

The Holy Spirit inspired the writers perfectly to write what they wrote. This historical insight allows us to see His wisdom in doing so.

I often will say, when preaching, 'Paul (or whoever) wrote...' My hearers are well taught enough to know that he did so under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

I suspect this is the same reason behind the wording here.

Even if I am wrong, one source does not show 'Where we have come.'

BTW, where does the Bible condemn racial based slavery?

#2 NaasPreacher (C4K), Feb 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2010
  3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Before I answer your question, I just wanted to remind you that I had asked four straightforward questions in the Bible Versions forum about the questions we're not supposed to ask forum.

They were four questions about the nature of textual criticism. And I'm certain it was an oversight, but you never answered them.

Here's a quick link: http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=64502&page=12

4. stilllearning

Hello C4K

You said.....
    Mine too; But, it is important to keep reminding them of this;
    Therefore I always try to add, “Paul(or whoever), by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit wrote......”

With so many voices out there today, it is more easy for God’s people to get away this fact, than we think.
    --------------------------------------------------
    You asked........
    Exodus 5:1
    “And afterward Moses and Aaron went in, and told Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Let my people go, that they may hold a feast unto me in the wilderness.”

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

This is only speaking of God's people.

It is tough to base an overall condemnation of race based slavery on God's deliverance of His own people from Egypt.

#5 NaasPreacher (C4K), Feb 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2010
  6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Chances are that you, like I, don't always do that though.

I read that same passage when preparing for Philemon and never imagined that they were implying that the writers were not inspired. I agree that this could very well be the reason the Holy Spirit inspired the writers to handle it the way they did. The goal was not political or cultural reform, but the spread of the gospel. This would have been hindered by a slave revolt inspired by the Scriptures of the Christian 'cult' as society considered it.

7. stilllearning

Hello preachinjesus

The answer I gave in response #91(2nd answer), deals with your 4 questions.

But if I’m missing something, PM me.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Please keep question concerning B/V in that forum please.

9. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

When legitimate questions are missed or overlooked and posters go to other areas to try to escape them asking them to revisit the former place is simply a point in conversation.

If one were to repost the questions, which hasn't been done, then I can see the issue. :)

#9 preachinjesus, Feb 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2010