1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Which Bible Translation Should I use?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Apr 23, 2013.

1. mactx

mactx New Member

You know I don't see anyone (well other than maybe KJVO folks) being anti NIV.
    Anti the current changed version perhaps but not against the NIV as a whole.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Flamethrowers are not just folks who think the 2011 NIV has some problems. By definition they are inflamatory. It was much worse with respect to the treatment that was meted out to the TNIV --this time it has been a bit muted;but nonetheless there are folks--you included, who stir things up. Instigators who have nary a clue and yet go on saying things that are untrue many times knowing they are wrong but insisting on continuing their mission.

It's because of folks like Wayne Grudem,Leland Ryken and the disgraceful Bayly brothers. People look up to their heroes,believe what they say;have a lemming-like bent and away they go.

3. mactx

mactx New Member

Never heard of any of those folks. My ideas come from the verses I see posted. I copy them and then compare them with the KJV, old NIV and ESV. So far the new NIV is not standing up very well.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

What veres you posted. I looked in this thread and couldn't locate them.

5. mactx

mactx New Member

Not just in this thread and i do not post them since I do not have the new NIV.
    I have looked at the verse I see others post from the new NIV and compare.
    I have not been happy in my findings. Therefore i will stand with my old NIV, KJV and ESV.

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

exactly! many of us herre actually kept using the 1984 niv, just finding the Niv 2011 "hard to stomach!"

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You need to read discerningly,mediate,pray and then type.

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    trying to over think too fast a problem!
    Mind faster then fingers!

9. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most in my congregation have switched. One it's what I use and they have actually said without any prompting, that they like having brothers and sisters in the text. I think your perception that most rejected the 2011 is way off base. In fact the sales figures back that up. Lots of heat not much light.

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    again, my comment was that those holding to it being inferior to the 1984 edition were of conservative churches, and think among them, the Esv/KJV/NKJV/NASB will continue to be bible of choice!

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are they good scholars, and know what they are talking about though, even IF they happen to disagree with you?
    Are ALL who are against the Niv 2011 lemmings, ignorant, slanderers, or what?

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only Wayne Grudem can pass for a scholar of sorts. Ryken doesn't know the original languages any more than I do. The Bayly bros? Come on!

Most are lemmings. And they posses some of the other less virtuous characteristics in varying degrees.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Leland Ryken, is a professor of English at Wheaton College in Wheaton, Illinois. [1] He has contributed a number of works to the study of classic literature from the Christian perspective,[2] including editing the comprehensive volume on Christian writing on literature The Christian Imagination. He was the literary stylist for the English Standard Version of the Bible, published by Crossway Bibles in 2001. He is the author of How to Read the Bible as Literature and Words of Delight: A Literary Introduction to the Bible, as well as co-editor of Ryken's Bible Handbook and the ESV Literary Study Bible (with his son, Philip Ryken).[3] He was the literary content contributor to the ESV Study Bible,[4] released in 2008.
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

he seems to be a bit more than a "hack", wouldn't you say?

And are you saying ANY against the Niv 2011 cannot be any real scholars, must be hacks/ignorant/uninformed etc?

The Bayle brothers seem to be Presbyterian Church in America pastors , so assuming they received their training/education from a reputable seminary, why would they also be 'hacks?"

#53 Yeshua1, May 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2013
  14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He doesn't know squat about Bible translations. And for being a literary consultant for the ESV. The version just doesn't evidence proper English for the most part.

No,I didn't say that,nor do I think that. E.Ray Clendenen of the HCSB is very even-handed about the 2011 NIV when he of course,prefers the HCSB.

They are a disgraceful pair. You obviously know nothing about them.

#54 Rippon, May 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2013
  15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I'd like a response to this from the Y-man.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Y-man,please respond to the above.

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    they were revisiing the Niv to be able to be read and understand by a generation affected by the "dumbing down" process, correct?

18. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Come on man your not going to the we're not as smart now as we were then argument are you?

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is that your substantive response to the Doug Moo quotes? Your immaturity is wearing thin. He specificially addressed your lies. And all you can say is that the NIV capitulated to a dumbing-down process? Have you ever looked at your own posts?

You will have to do a whole lot better. I am asking you to be more forthcoming. That means be honest,truthful,no skirting the central issues. Are you up to it? Remember;no mendacity!

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    again, the Niv team in their revision "hopped" on the TNIV 2005, with its concession to modern views of evangelical feminism regarding "male bias" from the culture of the times coloring just how the texts have been transalted! they wanted to 'remidy/correct" that situation, but in their desire to improve the version, actually made it worse!

And do you honestly think that ONLY reasons Christians in conservative circles have been against it is die to promoting the Esv, or else being unlearned, no scholarship?