1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which Church would you join Church A or Church B

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by DeaconPhil, Mar 23, 2011.

1. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Right...because no one has ever been led of the Lord and still tried to do things their own way. **cough Jonah cough **

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Non applicable. You need to take care of that cough. :sleeping_2:

3. matt wade

Why exactly is it non-applicable? Would you mind enlightening us?

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

My post was not about all the nuances of a being led as if accepted, denied, put off or what ever else. It was simply intended to show what being led involves and that very few are actually led in the area of what church they attend even though many make that claim.

5. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

I was led to post that I disagree with this baloney. You are certainly free to roll with the tumbleweed if you want to, but I'll let the author and finisher of my faith guide my steps through this life as I seek God's will in prayer and time in his word (which Christ modeled for us). It may not always make sense at the time, but "He leadeth me O' Bless the Thought"

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I would highly disagree with this. I didn't want to come to this church but did feel led to come here and I see that there were greater purposes than just our desires and likes/dislikes.

7. matt wade

So basically you are trying to doubletalk your way out of it now. You realize you were wrong, but won't admit it. Don't worry...we understand.

8. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both have good and bad points.

In the case of church "A", it may be a case that the pastor is immature, but could be reasoned with. Plus the fact that pastors are not autonomous.

In the case of church "B", I'm pretty hard core, so the pastor's conservatism wouldn't bother me.

But I think the deal breaker would be church "B"'s KJVO stance. I've never seen a KJVO church that didn't have serious doctrinal issues in other areas and many of them have cult-like aspects.

So I think I would choose Church "A".

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So no one is going to go with choice "C' with me? :tear:

10. Ed B

Ed B Member

Well, in my town you can't throw a stick without hitting a Church, and most of them are Baptist Churches. So, no I wouldn't wouldn't want to start a new one. Would rather assist, server and worship in an existing one. :)

Your mileage may vary

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I drive about 15 miles to church - I only pass two other ones - one very liberal - the other is Bible Believing - but too big for me.

12. sag38

sag38 Active Member

FAL, I'm so glad we have you around to enlighten us. Thank you!!! But, I don't need your help in determining what being led of God means. I'm perfectly capable of determining that for myself.

13. DeaconPhil

DeaconPhil Member
    Site Supporter

I just wanted to clarify the Pastor of Church B does not believe in double inspiration. What he believes is the original manuscripts were God inspired and then God preserved the original manuscript through a line he calls the majority text culminating in the Textus Receptus, which he claims to be 100% equal to the original manuscripts. I do not believe this.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their response! This is a very frustrating decision for me. I will conrtinue to seek God's will and direction, but ultimately I need to choose one or the other and do it soon, because it is becoming an issue in my marriage. Thanks for your prayers!

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You may have mentioned before, but which church is your wife leaning to...

15. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is that your opinion or were you 'led' to post this nonsense?

Some of us who are less spiritual believe we are led to the church we belong to.

16. DeaconPhil

DeaconPhil Member
    Site Supporter

She is leaning very heavily toward Church B, but she understands how I strongly I feel about the TR/KJV only position, even if it is a moderate one.

My wife is an amazing woman. She is what you call a Type A personality and it is a struggle for her to submit to my spiritual leadership, but she feels that God is doing a work in me right now and wants to honor God by submitting to the decision I make about the churches. Whatever church we go to she wants it to be my decision and she will go to that church.

17. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On another thread I raised the issue of people claiming the Lord told them this, or He told them that, or He instructed this way, etc.

I am of the opinion that inside all of us we know what we should be doing and where we should be going and what we should be supporting, checked and balanced against His Word and our understanding as it applies to our individual lives. Not what "we" want to do..., but what we should be doing.

If we are moving accordingly the Lord will bless. If He doesn't bless your effort(s) then it's time to move on. Often, many people totally ignore those Acres of Diamonds right in their own back yard.

Like the guy who owned a farm in Pennsylvania a hundred plus years ago. His cattle wouldn't drink the water because it was "poisoned". So, he sold the farm. The new owner knew the source of the poison. It was the result of crude oil seeping right up through the ground.

One can't run ahead and then ask the Lord to hurry and catch up.

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just to clarify is he KJ only or KJ very perfered ( I understand about the TR)
    And is the KJ the main issue, or do you have major issues with the other items:

A. congregation is standoffish.
    B. music traditional only
    C.legalistic tendencies (i.e. thinks women should wear skirts, equates drinking alcohol with adultery, considers Liberty & BJU are liberal)

If so, how intent is your wife on those issues (including KJ)

19. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You married one of them too, huh? I feel for you, DeacnPhil. Our first year of marriage was like boot camp. I didn't realize how she REALLY was until after the wedding when she ripped off her human disquise to reveal the reptillian queen from the show V.
    It is evident that your wife cannot wear the pants anymore--especially if you choose Church B! :laugh:

But seriously:
    Which way is God leading you? Is he sending you to a third one you don't know yet?
    Although there never was a perfect church this side of Glory, could it be that God is leading you to a "Church C"? And if you do not pick bapticostal Church B, will your wife really be OK with it? I don't think you are being too picky when you have told us what you like and don't like in a church; I think maybe you have to ask yourself "what does God like?" Maybe that is the answer.

20. MamaCW

MamaCW New Member

I'd choose B. Mainly for the reason that you are being fed spiritually more at church B.
    Have you tried showing yourself friendly to those who seem reserved? Maybe you just need to break the ice?

Is the pastors view on the colleges and women's wearing skirts/dresses affecting you in any way?

As for the alcohol, do you drink? Is his stand against alcohol affecting you? I would say calling it adulterous is probably not the best way to describe it..although it CAN and (from friends in the past) HAS led to adultery lol..

Im an Independent fundamental baptist, and I love my church.

As for the Southern Baptist,
    I don't think the pastor should set "time limit on baptism to gain membership. Although I believe someone should get baptisted soon after receiving Christ, that shouldn't be a selling point for church membership (call within the next 5 minutes and you get a free membership..lol..type thing)

Hope you find your home church!