1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which Day Is The Christian Sabbath?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by wopik, Mar 6, 2004.

1. wopik

wopik New Member

2. wopik

wopik New Member

(Acts 13:42-44)

why didn't Paul preach to the gentiles the very next day - sunday?

Instead, Paul told them he would preach this same sermon on "the grace of God" to them [gentiles] the next sabbath - a whole week later.

Next sabbath rolls around, and almost the whole city is there to here Paul preach (Acts 13:42-44).

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I think that the answser is that the gentiles knew that paul was jewish and when they asked him to preach to them it would have been logical to ask him to preach on what had been the common Jewish day for worship.

I have ran into many who claim that the Sabbath is for the church as well as the Jew. However in EVERY case I have never found a single person who claims to keep the sabbath or trys to convionce others to keep the sabbath keeping it themselves. Keeping the Sabbath is much more then just attending a service on Saturday.

However in all reality the sabbath was for the Jew, not the church and we can come together any day we choose. If we choose Saturday it is fine and if we choose Sunday or any other day it too is fine. However if we try and teach that the church is under the sabbath law, that is not fine since we are under grace.

4. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

The sabbath is nothing more than the ceremonial sign of the Old Covenant. If you wish to live under that old system, you are embracing an abomination.

5. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Neither Saturday or Sunday. Our Sabbath is not a day but a Person---Christ.

Praise God!!!
    Hebrews 4: 1-10

6. Russ Kelly

Russ Kelly New Member

I agree with Tony,
    A Christian rested in the perfect works of Jesus Chrsit seven days a week 24 hours a day.

Wopik,
    Are you rally a Baptist? Why does your web site point to Herbert W. Armstrong's cult?

7. Tim

Tim New Member

Wopik,

It is the "day" in which we live.

I hope that one day you will let go of these OT shadows and find full Sabbath rest in Christ's finished work.

Tim

P.S. to BT & RK--we agree.

8. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Tim,

Who would have thought it? ;) Actually, I am certain we agree on more than we disagree. It is great to be able to share with brothers & sisters.

Blessings on Everyone as they meet to celebrate our risen Lord tomorrow.

Bro Tony

9. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

If my memory serves me right.....I believe wopik belongs to a church down in Texas and it may NOT be a Baptist Church. It seems to me that wopik and I had a similar conversation a long time ago on the same issue. Lets see if wopik answers the question: Are you really a Baptist? May I add...wopik where do you attend regularly?

Thanks ------Bart

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

There is no biblically ordained "Christian Sabbath". Jews commemorate the Sabbath starting Friday at sundown to Saturday at Sundown. The early church made Sunday the official day for Christian worship and rest, but there is no biblically ordained gentile sabbath day. However, we're commanded to keep the Sabbath day holy via commadment (which applies to all Jews and Gentiles). In the NT, Paul tells us not to allow ourselves to be judged by which day we keep the sabbath day on. In addition, we're told consistently in the NT to worship the Lord constantly, not just on one day.

In short, we're commanded worship every day, and to rest one day in seven. But which day in seven is for us to decide, so long as we rest one day in seven.

11. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Again, the sabbath is the ceremonial sign of the OLD covenant.

I don't have to rest any day.

The 10 commandments have been replaced by a higher law. Why people want to settle for a damning system I will never know.

12. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Maybe Wopik hangs out with the Seventh Day Baptist Church, a bona fide Baptist Church that meets on the Sabbath.

As I see it the church met daily, every day.

The whole idea of the Sunday Sabbath and having church meetings to observe it is a Roman Catholic idea. The early church were probably more like the Anabaptist - Hutterite groups where the belivers live together and have possesions in common to some degree.

I would still say that you should rest one day in the week and I feel that the Bible does say that in Genesis 2:3. It says that God Consecrated the seventh day rest, prior to the Judaism Law. When the jewish law of circumscion was changed, it gets nearly a chapter. It would not be unresonable for something as big as the suspension of the sabbath rest should at least be mentioed.

It has been my experience that often people argue against the seventh day rest with blinkers on. The case usually being that people are so keen to disprove the Seventh Day Adventist Church that they go totally against anything that the church teaches simply to prove them wrong on it.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes you do. God designed your body to require a minimum of one day in seven to rest. Failure to rest results in ill health effects.

That would be:
    1 - Love the Lord with all your heart... (which the first three, and part of the fourth, helps us do).
    2 - Love your neighbor as yourself (which the last six, and part of the fourth, helps us do).
    The Ten Commandments are by no means damning. They're liberating. I suppose they're damning if you follow them to achieve salvation, but they're liberating if you follow them as a result of salvation.

14. Audra

Audra New Member

Mark 2:27
    "And He said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath."
    The Sabbath was made for man, not just for the Jews.

15. Audra

Audra New Member

"If you wish to live under that old system, you are embracing an abomination."
    "Why people want to settle for a damning system I will never know."

David, why do hate God's Law so much? As far as your comments go, I think you should correct some wayward people, like King David and the Apostle Paul. If you ever happen to see King David, you could tell him that he was wrong in saying, "O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day." Ps 119:97. You could also inform the Apostle Paul that he was in great error in making the following statement: "Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good." Romans 7:12

16. wopik

wopik New Member

freeatlast --

I think that the answser is that the gentiles knew that paul was jewish......
    -------

Paul was preaching about Jesus. Paul was preaching about "the grace of God" (Acts 13:43).

Paul was a Christian. "Then Agrippa said to Paul, 'Almost you persuade me to be a Christian' " (Acts 26:28).

Christians in Apostolic times kept the holy Sabbath. They knew it was not Jewish, but a day that belonged to the LORD:

"Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, a holy convocation; you shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath OF THE LORD...."(Lev. 23:3).

It is still the Sabbath of the Lord Jesus:

"For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day" (Matt. 12:8).

God bless!

17. wopik

wopik New Member

Daniel David -

The sabbath is nothing more than the ceremonial sign of the Old Covenant.
    -------------

A sign it is! "It is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that you may know that I AM THE LORD THAT DOES SANCTIFY YOU" (Ex. 31:13).

We Christians are all sanctified by Christ (1 Cor. 1:2). "Sanctified by God the Father" (Jude 1).

Circumcision identified the Jews. The Sabbath identifies who God is.

18. wopik

wopik New Member

Sign for Israel Only?

Exodus 31:16: "Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant."

No one can deny that this absolutely BINDS the people of Israel to keep the Sabbath FOREVER, and throughout their generations perpetually. Their generations are still going on. Therefore it is binding on them today.

Also we have to admit that salvation and Christianity are open to Jews and all Israelites. The gospel "is the power of GOD UNTO SALVATION to every one that believes; TO THE JEW FIRST, and also the Greek" (Rom. 1:16).

So then the Jew can be a converted CHRISTIAN! Indeed, the Church at the beginning was nearly altogether Jewish! So the JEW, even though a Christian in God's CHURCH, is BOUND to keep God's Sabbath as a perpetual covenant, throughout his generations, FOREVER!

Now, does God have TWO KINDS of Christians? Is it SIN for a Jewish Christian to break the Sabbath, and sin for all others to KEEP it? Must Jewish Christians assemble on the Sabbath, and those of other nationalities on Sunday? Didn't Jesus say a house divided against itself would fall?

Are there TWO KINDS of Christians? Read Galatians 3:28-29: "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for you are ALL ONE IN CHRIST JESUS. And if you [Gentiles] be Christ's, then are you Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise."

So, since the Sabbath is BINDING TODAY on the Jewish part of God's Church, and there is no difference - we are all ONE in Christ - the Sabbath is also binding on Gentiles!

19. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're goofy. Romans 14:5, Colossians 2:16.

20. wopik

wopik New Member

Alcott --

Colossians 2:16 --

Paul is telling these Christians not to accept criticism for keeping the holydays, new moons and sabbath days for they are a shadow of things to come; but the reality of all this is Christ. If the holydays of the Bible are done away with, so is eating and drinking, for they are listed there, too.

Where is the statement that says we shouldn't keep these days? Colossians 2:16 assumes they are keeping the holydays,etc., and says don't let anyone judge you for it. This is 'rock solid' proof that the mostly gentile Colossian church was keeping these days.

Here is my question? What is there about being 'a shadow' that means you don't do it? And if it is a shadow of things to come, then it hasn't been fulfilled yet --- and if it hasn't been fulfilled yet, why would anyone assume it's been done away with?

-----------

Have you ever read Colossians 2:16 in the Living Bible paraphrased?

It goes like this: "So don't let anyone criticize you for what you eat and drink, or for not celebrating Jewish holidays and feasts or new moon ceremonies of Sabbaths."

They add the word "not" into the verse, which isn't in any other translation - especially KJV.

Take the "not" out and you have the precise meaning of the verse.