1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which denoms are Christian enough for the Other Christian Denominations forum?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by mioque, Dec 18, 2004.

?
  1. Latin Rite Catholicism (Roman Catholicism)

63.0%
  2. Eastern Rite Catholicism (Byzantine Catholicism)

1.4%
  3. Eastern-Orthodoxy (for example Greek-Orthodox)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Oriental Orthodoxy (for example Ethiopian-Orthodox)

9.6%
  5. Messianic Jews

6.8%
  6. Methodism

2.7%
  7. Calvinism (Reformed churches)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. The Pentecostal movement

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Lutheranism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Seven Day Adventism

4.1%
  11. Mormonism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Jehovah's Witnesses

12.3%
  13. Anglicanism

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mioque

mioque New Member

Which denominations are in your opinion Christian enough for the Other Christian Denominations forum on the Baptist Board?

And what specifically makes some of them not appropriate?
    Please post and explain.

2. mioque

mioque New Member

I ofcourse messed up my own poll voting the Jehovah's witnesses and the Mormons in by mistake. :eek:

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Troublemaker. Besides, I know how you voted.

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Dunno what the orthodoxy ones are so didn't check them.
    Purposely didn't check RC, LDS, JV, and 7th day.
    The rest I did.
    Different Biblical cannon and transub. is what I put for what would disqualify, although transub in and of itself wouldn't IMO.
    Gina

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is easy to understand why many see praying to the dead, degrading scripture below tradition, making altars to Mary, calling her queen of heaven - co-redemptrix and "all powerful like Christ", denying Christ the creator's role in Creation, claiming the power to forgive sins and authoring the greatest christian slaughters in history during the dark ages ... etc - would all be within the bounds of a Christian group (as some votes show).

What is hard to understand is why a Bible-only group like the JWs would be accepted as Christian if they are not Trinitarian (just as the Disciples were not trinitarian before the Cross) Surely that difference is much worse than the crimes against Christianity and humanity of the previous group.

Why accept them?

In Christ,

Bob

6. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

No Trinity no post works for me! [​IMG]

7. mioque

mioque New Member

I'm actually not to disappointed with the results up to now, I would have been worried if Eastern-Orthodoxy would have been banned less often than Roman-Catholicism.

Reasons to ban Latin Rite Catholicism (Roman Catholicism) and
    Eastern Rite Catholicism (Byzantine Catholicism) : Baptismal Regeneration, Practicing Infant Baptism, Not believing Sola Scriptura, Having a different Biblical canon, Celebrating Christmas, Believing Jews/Moslims/Christians worship the same God, Not being Young Earth Creationist, Allowing alcohol to it's members, Transubstantion (The bread+wine truly is turned into Jezus) and Not (universally) believing Sola Gratia

8. mioque

mioque New Member

Reasons to ban Eastern-Orthodoxy (for example Greek-Orthodox) and
    Oriental Orthodoxy (for example Ethiopian-Orthodox) : Baptismal Regeneration, Practicing Infant Baptism, Not believing Sola Scriptura, Having a different Biblical canon, Celebrating Christmas, Not being Young Earth Creationist, Allowing alcohol to it's members, Transubstantion (The bread+wine truly is turned into Jezus) and Not believing Sola Gratia

9. mioque

mioque New Member

Reasons to ban Messianic Jews : Not believing Sola Scriptura, Not believing Sola Gratia, Allowing alcohol to it's members, Not believing in the Trinity

10. mioque

mioque New Member

Reasons to ban Seven Day Adventism : Not believing Sola Scriptura (alternative possibility Having a different Biblical canon depending how one ranks White's prophecies)

Some branches that have split from the main movement also have : Not believing in the Trinity, Believing in British-Israelism.

11. mioque

mioque New Member

Reasons to ban Lutheranism : Consubstantion (Jezus is truly present in the bread+wine), Allowing alcohol to it's members , Not being Young Earth Creationist, Believing Jews/Moslims/Christians worship the same God (does not apply to all Lutheran churches), Celebrating Christmas, Practicing Infant Baptism, Baptismal Regeneration (if I remember correctly)

12. mioque

mioque New Member

Reasons to ban Calvinism : Consubstantion (Jezus is truly present in the bread+wine), Allowing alcohol to it's members , Not being Young Earth Creationist, Believing Jews/Moslims/Christians worship the same God (applies to some Calvinist churches), Celebrating Christmas, Practicing Infant Baptism

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

JW's are not bible only, and the bible they use is their personal translation that leaves out the biblical trinity, supports more then one 'god'.

14. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I voted for all 13 in the first half of the poll. I think they should be allowed on if they claimto be Christian. I dont necessarily believe that they are but as long as they believe that they are they should be allowed.
    Therefore I couldnt check off any on the bottom half of the poll but I will have to check at least one in order to view the results.
    What do you want, nothing but baptists on this board? what fun would that be?

15. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Nothing but Baptists on a place called the Baptist Board? INSANITY I TELL YA!

16. Turpius

Turpius New Member

Not in favor of Mormons or JWs, maybe not SDAs, other than that nearly everybody else would be fine.

17. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Gina you are so silly sometimes! Wasnt the poll discussing other Christian denoms? Arent there places on this board for Baptists only? If everyone on the "other" forum agreed in every jot and tittle like a Baptist it wouldnt be a "other" forum would it?

18. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Yes, the poll was discussion other Christian denoms. Yes, there are places on this board for Baptists only.
    No, if everyone on the "other" forum agreed in every jot and tittle like a Baptist it wouldn't be a "other" forum.
    On the other hand, I've been a member of the Baptist community since I was saved and a lot of people won't even call me Christian, let alone Baptist. I'm starting to wonder if we should include "non-acceptance of other denoms as Christians even though they believe in the exact same method of salvation but differ on the of the minors" in the "is this really a Christian/Baptist" topic...
    Gina

19. mioque

mioque New Member

Interesting, :confused: by now 2 people have voted to include Byzantine Catholicism, but to exclude Roman Catholicism. The differences between the 2 being very tiny judging from a baptist perspective.
    I mean they both have the exact same guy as their pope and both have exactly the same theology. They just use a different liturgy.

20. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Gina,
    Since I have been a member on this board I have met some who claim to be Baptist but are better apologists for the Roman Catholic Church the most of the Roman catholics themselves. I know we need to show a little tolerance on occasion but if a person who claims to believe in all the Baptists distintives but defends those who deny Biblical authority, autonomy of the local Church, priesthood of the beleiver, individual soul liberty, etc. I,m sorry I have a problem with that.
    That being said, Roman Catholics, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, and some others all claim to be Christians so we need to try to convince them where they are wrong. But it seems they are always getting banned from the board. We all need to be firmly rooted in our faith and what we believe enough that we should be able to defend ourselves and not have our faith shaken by some eggheaded seminary student who is using us as target practice.
    I was told that alot of the catholics were banned from this board because they apparently converted "Brother Adam" to Catholicism. I dont know if that is true or not but Adam was always a little wishy-washy and if he is truly saved the Holy Spirit will show him the folly of that false religion.
    The other religions forum was the hottest spot on this board at one time. Sure it got ugly sometimes but passionate debate is what irons doctrinal differences in the Church. It is what our founding fathers used to form the Constitution of the United States. But it seems there is alot of thin skin around here.