1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which do you believe?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Martin, Jul 7, 2007.

?
  1. Monergism

23 vote(s)
    88.5%
  2. Synergism

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    #1 Martin, Jul 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2007
  2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

The only problem with this is Martin , most synergists don't even know they are.
    Of course I didn't know I was a monergist until recently.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm a mono . I don't HAVE mono though !

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Good point. I added a link that may help folks. :thumbs:

5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Or to put it simply, does salvation require only one (God) which is monergism or does it require two, God's work plus man's decision (synergism)

Is that what you are getting at?

6. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pardon my ignorance, but is this another way of framing the Calvinism/Arminianism debate?

#6 SBCPreacher, Jul 7, 2007
  7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

A Prayer That a Synergist Won't Pray by John Hendryx
    Would you pray the following prayer? "God, I give you glory for everything else, but not my faith ... This is the one thing that is my very own that I produced of my natural capacities. For this little bit the glory is mine. I made better use of Your offer of salvation than others did. While You deserve glory for all I have Lord, my faith was the one part that I contributed to the price of my redemption, apart from and independent of the action of Your Holy Spirit." If you think the prayer is a straw man, read the whole article and take the challenge. See how others have answered before you try. This challenge to synergists has received several interesting responses.

A Prayer a monergist won't pray. Lord I thank you that you chose me over my children and wife. I don't know why Lord but I am sure glad you did. I don't want them to be lost, but it was either them or me, and I am glad you chose me.

This may seem harsh, but it is exactly what you said to the rest who you consider not to be the elect.

8. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I think it is a nice way of asking people which side of the fence they are on without using offensive labels.
    It has been my experience that most baptists find both C and A labels to be offensive and claim neither.
    With these terms, you don't have to worry about whether you believe each point of a certain system but it draws a nice line in the sand:
    Is Salvation up to our choice or God's choice?

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

unhuh.................! really nice, I just can't get over it.

10. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Harsh as it may be, it is sometimes true. That said, it is not ours to know who is elect and who is not.

Why did God choose me and not others? I don't know, but I DO praise Him for choosing me.
    If you have a problem with that, your problem is with God, He is the one that made the choice, not me.

11. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

Yes! Absolutely!

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

No, my problem is not with God at all for He saved my soul, thank you. Best part is that if my children will believe, He will save theirs. I don't have to worry about whether God would be Gracious and save them too, for if they will believe, He will!!!!!!!!!! Bless His High and Holy Name.

13. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I didn't catch the word over the first time I read it.
    Since when does God choose one OVER another?
    Instead of yes, but not because He was incapable of saving the whole world.
    Interestingly, the monergist position says that God could have guaranteed salvation, could have predestined all but only chose some.

The Synergist position would say that God would prefer that all be saved but it is beyond His control and only up to the decisions that people make.

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You said it for me! Too bad for the wife and children, he do even give a chance to.

15. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

And if my daughter believes, then she will be saved to ( she is still a baby as you can see in the picture)

God will not turn away ANYONE that truly believes.
    The question is, what if your kids refuse to believe? Can God change their hearts to make them want to believe? Irresistibly?

Either way, it is out of Brother Bob's hands.
    Either it is up to God, or it is up to them. You can't make the decision for them one way or the other.

16. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

He gives everyone a chance.
    All reject naturally. Some he is gracious not to allow them to reject.

Calvinism does NOT teach that God will turn away those that trust in Him. Neither does your theology. PLease stop saying that we believe that.

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

God forbid, but if something happened to your beautiful daughter, Bro Bob would say she is in Heaven. What about the monergist? What would they say?

That is just another way of saying "God's Children" instead of telling the whole truth. I hear Calvinist preachers now, instead of saying some of you are elect and some are not, they say "God's children", so as to blind the congregation.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I beg to differ Dale , but God doesn't give out chances . He doesn't give everyone an opportunity either ( in case some may use the word "chance" interchangeably with "opportunity" ) . As I've said before , the LORD is not an equal opportunity God when it comes to salvation .

#18 Rippon, Jul 7, 2007
  19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

There is a man that don't beat around the bush, I respect that. I do not believe it but respect his honesty.

#19 Brother Bob, Jul 7, 2007
  20. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

That would depend on the particular monergist.

Since God's grace is not dependent on anything from man,. God could certianly save an infant.
    Some monergists believe that all infants who die will go to heaven. Others believe that none will.
    Others are not sure....I have yet to see a clear teaching in the scripture about it.

BUt that is a straw-man really.