1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which KJVO are you?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Pastor_Bob, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We've seen what non-KJVOs believe about KJVOs. Now let's see how KJVOs would describe themselves.

Below are six different categories of KJVO supporters*. Each one is unique in itself, although some may overlap at times. I realize that not every KJVO will fit into one single group. You may fit into two or three. Please list which group(s) “best” describe your position. Also, feel free to add additional tenets which would fit into your belief system.

Group #1
    This is a group of people who know little or nothing at all about the text issue. However, they have read some of the new translations and they do not like them. They do not like it that the modern versions leave out verses and large passages. They do not like the fact that many verses have been changed in such a way as to weaken or water-down many crucial doctrinal statements. This group of believes that the modern versions are inferior. They do not necessarily believe that the King James Version is in every way perfect, but they believe that it is the clearest and best. They have a distrust of all new versions. They want the King James Version to be used in their personal devotions, in their camps, and in their youth programs. They are strongly opposed to switching Bibles in their church and Sunday school.

Group #2
    This group has studied the text issue and believes that the Traditional Greek Text is the right text to translate, and believe that the King James Version is the best translation of that text. They do not believe that the TR or the Majority Text is perfect in any one printed copy. They believe that the King James Version is the clearest and most accurate translation that we have in English today. They do not necessarily believe in the inspiration or inerrancy of any copy or translation, but they believe that the Traditional Text and the King James Version are, by far, the best, and so far above all others as to be beyond compare.

Group #3
    This group believes that the Textus Receptus, usually one of Beza’s editions, is the perfect Word of God. They believe that all of the people who worked on the TR up to the point of the printing of that edition were able, collectively, to find all of God’s words. They believe that all of God’s words were preserved in the ancient manuscripts, versions, and translations and that God gave wisdom to such people, as Erasmus and Beza, so that all of the words of God were found and put into that edition of the TR. They believe that that edition of the TR is verbally identical to the original autographs. They believe that the King James Version is an accurate and trustworthy translation of the TR. As a result, they believe it is the best translation and do not want any other.

Group #4
    This group believes in the Majority Text. They believe that if we exclude the few Alexandrian manuscripts and simply count the number of times a certain reading appears in the Byzantine manuscripts, that that will result in the correct reading. This group is strong King James Version Only advocates because the King James Version has in almost every case the majority reading. They believe that all modern versions, with the possible exception of the NKJV, are grossly inferior. Many in this group find many objectionable readings and notations in the NKJV also.

Group #5
    This group believes that the King James Version translators were able to find all of the words of God. They do not know exactly what materials the translators had available, or exactly what their reasons were for using each word. They believe that God providentially gave the translators wisdom and guided them so that they translated all of the words correctly. As a result, they believe the King James Version is the perfectly preserved Word of God in the English language. They believe the errors in the King James Version can be attributed to printers and copyist errors.

Group #6 This group believes for the most part what group #5 believes, except they take it a step farther. They believe there are absolutely no “provable” errors whatsoever in the King James Version. The other groups would consider this group as “extreme.” They believe that the King James Version translators were inspired by the Holy Spirit to pen the words of God into the English language. They believe the King James Version is accurate to the point of correcting the manuscript evidences. They believe that the modern versions are Satanic, counterfeit bibles. They believe that salvation is dependent upon hearing the true Word of God from the King James Version; all other versions represent “corruptible seed.” They consider all users of modern versions to be liberal in doctrine and practice.

*Descriptions of these various groups were collected in part from the following source:
    Seventy-five Problems with Central Baptist Seminary’s Book THE BIBLE VERSION DEBATE By Lloyd L. Streeter © 2001

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Assume this listing is for "onlies" of one of the six categories. I attended Central Seminary (in the days when there was no KJV issue) and my position is such I could not vote here.

But GOOD POLL, Pastor Bob, and know it took a lot of effort. Hope many WILL post positions here to that we can see.

I know when I 'shoot' at the "onlies", it is often group 5-6 that are in my sights, not the more moderate bunch!

Thanks.

3. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

I'm in group 5.

4. Anti-Alexandrian

#6. With the exception of the salvation thing; even the [modern versions] contains the plan of salvation.

Fire away..

[ December 22, 2003, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: Pastor_Bob ]

5. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

A little of #3, 4, 5, and 6. I don't know if the KJB translators were inspired or not. But I do believe the King James Bible is the only inspired, infallible, inerrant word of God. The modern versions do contain enough of the salvation plan to save a person from Hell. But, to have mature spiritual growth, you need meat, not veggies. I thank God everyday that I believe his word without compromise. I am so glad that I don't have to worry about trying to complete God's word, because it's already complete in the King James Bible. After all, it's magnified above his name so I think he would take care of it.

6. Askjo

Askjo New Member

If the KJV translators were inspired, do you mean "double inspiration"?

7. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

If the KJV translators were inspired, do you mean "double inspiration"? </font>[/QUOTE]I guess if the translators were inspired it would be double. But, I don't think the translators knew that God was using them to preserve his word perfectly.

8. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

How do some KJVO's know that God was using them to preserve his word perfectly?

9. Headcoveredlady

Headcoveredlady New Member

How do some KJVO's know that God was using them to preserve his word perfectly? [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]By faith. Why wouldn't God preserve His Word perfectly? He has the power to do it.

10. ScottEmerson

Why the KJV? Why didn't He do it before? Why not the NIV? Why not the Message? Faith misplaced is folly.

11. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

First, Amen Headcoveredlady.

Second, which do you have faith in ScottEmerson? The ones before, NIV, the Message, etc.?

Other Bibles do not fall in the same category as the King James Bible. If they wanted to change just the arachic words in the KJB, why not just do that? Why look outside the King James Bible for answers. People usually don't like the King James Bible because it doesn't agree with what they want or like. I agree with the KJB because it tells me who I really am and most people don't like that kind of comfrontment. They want to be pampered and not preached at, but teached. There's nothing wrong with teaching, but ever now and then, you need some good PREACHING!

12. ScottEmerson

I believe that God inspired the texts that were written by those which He led to write. I don't believe that those who copied nor those who translated are infallible, as I have no Scriptural evidence to believe such things. Translations are commendable, as fallen man does the best job that we can do to put in our language what God wrote through the apostles and such. But I would not say that I have "faith" in any translation - my faith is in Christ alone and in anything man-made.

Brcause you have to assume that the King James was perfect. If we do not assume that, then we would wish to look at as much as possible to understand what God really said through those who wrote the Word. That assumption is what I do not have. I do not believe that God directly inspired those who translated the KJV nor that God directly inspired those who compiled the TR - only his original Word was directly inspired. I have no Scriptural proof to believe otherwise.

And any good translation worth its salt does that as well. I haven't seen any Christians, on this board or anywhere else, who don't like the KJV because it is too strong or it steps on too many toes. The other translations do that as well.

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I'm either in #2 or #3, leaning more towards #2.

14. Askjo

Askjo New Member

The logic of faith!

15. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Amen! [​IMG]

16. Anti-Alexandrian

Manuscripts..

17. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The logic professor in me is SCREAMING at this. You would receive an "F" for "F"aulty reasoning!

Sister, God has the POWER to do ANYTHING! That does not give one ounce of credibility as to why He would/would not USE that power!

Apples and Fords. Not even apples and oranges!!

Why wouldn't God _____________? He has the power to do it. (Fill in the blank and amaze your friends).

Here are some of mine . . .
    a. Give me a million dollars
    b. Let me live forever
    c. Help me get a needed brain transplant
    d. Kill all Arminians before they bother me
    e. Have Jesus/Paul use the KJV so we wouldn't have this fuss

18. ScottEmerson

Again, faith misplaced is folly.

19. Headcoveredlady

The logic professor in me is SCREAMING at this. You would receive an "F" for "F"aulty reasoning!

Sister, God has the POWER to do ANYTHING! That does not give one ounce of credibility as to why He would/would not USE that power!

Apples and Fords. Not even apples and oranges!!

Why wouldn't God _____________? He has the power to do it. (Fill in the blank and amaze your friends).

Here are some of mine . . .
    a. Give me a million dollars
    b. Let me live forever
    c. Help me get a needed brain transplant
    d. Kill all Arminians before they bother me
    e. Have Jesus/Paul use the KJV so we wouldn't have this fuss
    </font>[/QUOTE]The Word of God is the most important book we possess. Why would He send mass confusion with so many translations?

Recently an unsaved woman I was witnessing to said this to me, "I don't believe that the Bible is God's Word because there are too many translations." How would you answer her?

20. Headcoveredlady

I am a number 1 here in this poll. I used to use the NAS. Not too long ago I began using the KJV and I like it better. I noticed that it uses stronger language. For instance in 1 Corinthians 7 in the NAS we are told only to pray. But, the KJV tells us to FAST and pray. Lukewarm Christianity does not like to fast.

Also in 1 Peter 3 I was confused for a long time because someone inserted the word merely. This contradicts 1 Timothy 2. Once I read in the KJV I noticed there was no contradiction.

I know almost nothing about Greek. So, I am going by faith and a comparison of a modern version against the KJV.