1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which of the Ten Commandments Did Jesus Repeal?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by wopik, May 12, 2006.

1. wopik

wopik New Member

When a law has been abolished or repealed, it is no longer a crime to break that law. Technically you cannot break it because it no longer exists. An action that previously was considered a crime, worthy of punishment, is now deemed acceptable by society.

Once a law is repealed or abolished, there are no more penalties, no more guilt, no fines, no imprisonment not even an admonition from the judge. You cannot break the law, for it is no longer a law.

But perhaps the law of God is different in some way.

Perhaps the Ten Commandments could be abolished and yet it still is wrong to break them?

But, no, the biblical writers seem to look at the Ten Commandments the same way we look at the laws of man. John categorically defined sin so no one could misunderstand: "Sin is the transgression of the law" (I John 3:4).

What happens to sin, then, if the law is abolished?

Listen to Paul's reply: "For where no law is, there is no transgression" (Romans 4:15). Later in the same epistle, Paul affirms, "Sin is not imputed when there is no law" (Romans 5:13).

Let's see if we can understand this. Suppose for a moment the Commandment "Thou shalt not steal" is abolished. (For, if the Ten Commandments are abolished, that law no longer exists.) Since there is no transgression where there is no law, then it is not a transgression to steal. In that case, there is no penalty, no guilt, and no forgiveness needed.

2. gekko

gekko New Member

agreed.

i dont believe Jesus abolished or repealed any laws though.

gek.

3. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

But, there are scriptures that explicitly state that Jesus Abolished the Law in His flesh...

But, even accepting that...

What are the true ramifications?

We are to bear the Fruit if the Spirit which is Love...

So, we do away with the written code; Thou Shalt Not Steal...

But, the Love of Christ shed abroad in our hearts tells us if we Love someone we won't steal from them.

While the Justice of God will no longer demand our deaths for stealing...

Because without a law saying it's wrong there is no transgression...

The Holy Spirit will surely convict our hearts for being unloving...

Not bearing the Fruit of the Spirit

If that makes sense?

Here's an example...

My grandparents raised me...

I think that I got one or maybe two spankings growing up...

Why didn't I get more spankings?

It sure wasn't the threat of my granny's switch...

It was the heartache when I knew I had disapponted her...

Because of the Love she continuously proved to me...

In the same way the Laws Threat of Punishment may deter some from sin...

But, the Love of Christ, if we are truly His, constrains us from sin...

It isn't the threat of death that constrains us...

It's disappointing Our Lord...

This is why I am not threatened by Eternal Security...

Because if a person really loves Jesus, they will not be in jeopardy of losing their salvation anyway...

That is, the threat (and lets face in fellow Armenians it is a threat) of losing ones salvation is not required when people *really* love Jesus.

This scripture just popped in my head...

1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

What does this say about us when we put the fear of God in a fellow believer? Or the fear of the Law?

Well, I've dug this hole deep enough... :D

SMM

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Romans, chapter 3

31": Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law

1 Timothy, chapter 1

"4": Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.

"5": Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:

"6": From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling;

"7": Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.

"8": But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;

"9": Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,

"10": For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The ONLY law that Jesus "abolished in His flesh" is the law separating Jew from Gentile NOT the LAW that tell us "adultery is a sin".

Why is this so hard for some people to understand.

SEE Eph 2- it is obviously talking about the abolished "wall of separation" between Jew and Gentile!

Jesus came TO BOTH to bring peace with God and in so doing - peace with each other.

Eph 2 - CAN NOT be bent to oppose Rom 3:31 "Do we then ABOLISH the LAW of God by our faith? God FORBID! In fact we ESTABLISH the LAW of God" Rom 3:31

In Christ,

Bob

6. gekko

gekko New Member

didn't Jesus come to the Jews first?

and when the jews rejected him - He went to the gentiles?

isn't that somewhere in the new testament?

7. wopik

wopik New Member

THROUGH FAITH Moses kept the Passover - Hebrews 11:28.

FAITH does not abolish the law.

8. wopik

wopik New Member

gekko
    Rom
    1:16

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believes; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

9. wopik

wopik New Member

One could say that the Law is based on LOVE. "If you LOVE ME, keep My Commandments (Jn 14:15; Deut. 5:10)

In the middle of giving the Ten Commandments, the LORD says: "......love Me and keep My Commandments (Deut. 5:10; Ex. 20:6).

10. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

That's true wopik...

But, the problem was, was that even though God wanted men to Love Him from their hearts the Law was inadequate to accomplish that task by commandment...

That is why we've had both a change of the Priesthood (Aaron to Melchesidek) and a change in the Law (Old Covenant (Law) vs New Covenant (Grace))

We Love Him because He first Loved Us...

Quite a different progression than ordering us to Love God....

SMM

11. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Sabbath is the only commandment replaced by Jesus Himself, then the other 9 commandments are kept by Him as Sabbath belongs to Ceremonial Law.

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well, at least you agree on nine of them Eliyahu. [​IMG]

13. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, Brother. I may be wrong in discerning Sabbath as a Ceremonial Law but do respect the believers keeping Sabbath as I found nothing wrong with their doctrines.

14. wopik

wopik New Member

Instituted at Creation, reaffirmed to Israel as a part of the covenant at Sinai and taught by Jesus Christ who is the Messenger of the New Covenant, the observance of the Sabbath is considered basic to a Christian's relationship with God.

The Sabbath was established by God at Creation week; it was made for man, reaffirmed by Jesus, taught by the apostles and kept down through the centuries by faithful Christians.

The importance of the Sabbath in the Old Testament cannot be disputed.

Its continued observance is exemplified in the New Testament which confirms Sabbath-keeping as a fundamental practice of Jesus and the apostolic Church.

15. wopik

wopik New Member

The Sabbath is both a memorial and a shadow.

It is a memorial of Creation and a shadow of the coming future rest of God's people following the return of Jesus Christ.

The Sabbath did not originate with the law of Moses or with the Sinaitic covenant with physical Israel — so it does not pass with that covenant; rather it originated with Creation and looks back as a memorial to it.

The Sabbath is also a shadow, looking forward to the yet future time of the Millennium.

A shadow remains as long as the substance is still future. So it remains — looking forward to that time. And when that time comes, the Sabbath shall still be kept (Is. 66:23) although no longer as a shadow but as a memorial to the then contemporary reality of Christ's millennial rule.

16. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Circumcision did not originate with Moses, Sinai or Israel either, but it still became apart of that law and thus passed with it.
    The future Kingdom may be a Millennial antetype of the Sabbath, but Hebrews teaches that we are to enter the spiritual rest now, so it is in a sense present reality, and the act of ceasing from our work on a day of the week was a shadow of ceasing from our workS (especially religious ceremonies not apart of the universal moral and spiritual laws).

And most of the references to the sabbath in the NT are passing references to the apostles and gentiles meeting in the synagogues and temples on the day that their services were held. It does not say the "KEPT" the day by follwing all the restrictions. Some did, but this was left up as a matter of one's own observance unto the Lors, and people were not to judge over it. Else, it would have been included in Acts 15.

Instead of the sabbath being used as a memorial and shadow of God's work, it seems it is just being used to carnally one-up everyone else and hit them over the head with!

17. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

the 7th day Sabbath was not a shadow of anything.

And it is not about us ceasing from our works it is about God reating all things and then ceasing from His work.

It is a sign that God created everything and thus He can recreate us and sanctify us.

a shadow is comething that comes and goes when the real thing comes along, and that is not what the Sabbath is all about.

18. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

And that's the point, since we have the Spirit in our hearts through sanctification, and rest from our works, that is the real thing that the sabbath was really all about!

19. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

the only rest from your works you're supposed to be doing is resting from evil works.

20. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

thats like saying that God made 9 commandments and then He made one that says "just kidding you dont really have to keep the others because thats works"