1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Which Revision is Correct?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Dr. Bob, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, the NIV is a stronger verse here. The KJV says that Jesus is in the form of God whereas the NIV says that Jesus - in his very nature was God. The second part of the verse says the same thing. It was not robbery to be equal with God - it was not something that Jesus needed to grab at because He WAS God already. The both say the same thing.

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The NIV also doesn't make sense in light of John 5:18

John 5:18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

Yet the NIV says His being equal to God could not be grasped. There is an obvious contradiction in the NIV.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I started it and now 10+ pages. IF you have a salient point as yet uncovered in the BB discussion (like a particular verse, etc) feel free to start your own thread.

I found out much about people by my simple, straightforward attempt to solicit an answer and then discuss the "why" and "wherefore" of the particular "correct" translation. Got a half-answer from one and none from any others who might hold to an "only" correct translation.

Speaks volumes.

I would not advise anyone starting a new thread on this question, since this was truly a wasted effort.

Thread closed due to rules on page limit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.